Page 100 of 100 [ 1585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 11:55 pm

interesting turn that the thread took.

the thread had to be locked because of the personal insults, but it really got to the point where people stopped listening anyways.

to be honest i understand that the word "feminist" is not really seen as positive anymore because of both the media and because of a handful of highly public feminist activists who went off on weird tangents. but more importantly, i believe that if we don't label the movement according to one gender then we would see more agreement between groups on individual initiatives. i can understand that it would feel uncomfortable to have a movement named after just one gender, as the very name would seem to imply putting women above men.

i learned something by participating in this thread; i learned that even though i am a feminist and i can express exactly what i believe (just like other feminists on the thread), i still get told over and over again what "feminists" supposedly believe. this makes absolutely no sense. despite direct observation of what feminists on WP believe and support (similar to the majority of feminists in the western/northern world), some members still cling to what "feminism" supposedly represents.

on the flip side, some members did not really listen to what the anti-feminists were saying and took potshots instead of addressing their points. just because they don't agree with affirmative-action-type initiatives doesn't make them misogynistic by default. it is possible to distrust these kinds of initiatives without hating an entire gender.

it's odd to me that, even though i said i agreed with some points from self-confessed non-feminists, i was somehow painted as being biased towards feminists. people see what they want to see i guess (confirmation bias, maybe).