Page 2 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Is incest immoral and should it be illegal?
Yes it is immoral and should be punished to the full extent of the law 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
It's immoral but shouldn't be a crime 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
It's not really immoral but it should be a crime anyway 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Depends on the exact relationship of the two people 31%  31%  [ 16 ]
No there's nothing inherently wrong with it, it should be legal even though it's gross 37%  37%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 52

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 12:56 pm

ruveyn wrote:
If there is no question of children, they can move to a place where they are not known.

That may well work but only if they don't look alike.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 8:19 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
Tequila wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:
It's all relative I guess.

No pun intended?

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 12:01 am

If it is between two consenting, rational adults where one is not clearly or unhealthily dominant (ie: to the point of abuse), it should be legal.
If it is between a parent and a child, it is going to be nearly impossible for there to be any semblance of equality in the relationship, and is much more difficult to defend.
I don't give a crap if twins or siblings of close age get with each other as long as they're reasonable, mature people.
There is no sufficient reason that it should be illegal for (for example) two twins separated through adoption or some other means who meet as adults and fall in *that* kind of love to be with each other. It rubs us as weird because evolution has kept alive more people who have found it weird. Its about the same as making it illegal for two people to marry if they are both carriers for a genetic disorder which may affect their children or grandchildren. Incest is basically the same risk in the long term. Genetic diversity for the win--but don't make it legally mandatory.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 6:41 am

From what I understand the ick factor apparently comes from ones own experience where the body assess people you grew up with from a young age as non suitable choices as mates, which is biological instinct with the point of creating diverse genetics. A long line of incest can create problems, but a single generation will rarely create any issue at all, and really lots of people have issues and have no relation to incest at all. It just seems that people jump on putting themselves into the persons shoes, and feel that relations with their own family sound disgusting, and as that starts run into culture which then makes a general rule that relations with family is taboo.

I guess I too find the idea of relations with my family would be disgusting, perhaps that biological thing with people you grew up with, perhaps some of the conditioning cultures rule of it being wrong, being told repeatedly it is wrong. But I remember hearing a story about where a woman ended up with a relation with her father, the stinger being that the father was never actually in her life, and they did not even know when they were related when they started. Now the couple got in big trouble because the law says it is illegal, there has been lots of uproar over it, reasons mostly given are genetics, chances are that genetic similarities are what originally attracted themselves to each other. But hey they love each other, and saying that it is wrong seems so against other parts of society that says love is the most important, it is not like he is taking advantage of each other, to me it almost looks like Romeo and Juliet. By the way Juliet was 13 in Romeo and Juliet, how awkward does that sound?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 9:31 am

Tequila wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The problem with incest is the condition of children which issue from such a relationship.

And the intense social shunning and extreme social isolation that the incestuous couple may well receive?

I keep myself socially isolated, as a matter of personal preference.

Being socially shunned? Well, I certainly know what that is like. It isn't so bad, if you want social isolation.

If an incestuous couples loves each other, then the social isolation should be fine. Who needs anyone else?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 9:32 am

pandabear wrote:
If an incestuous couples loves each other, then the social isolation should be fine. Who needs anyone else?

Even to the point of people and officials being actively hostile?

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 3:30 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
My definition of incest would be having sexual relationships with someone who is at least as closely related genetically to you as a first cousin.

I am not aware of any society that prohibits sexual relations between first cousins, and societies that prohibit marriage between cousins are the exception to the rule China, Philippines, the Koreas, Taiwan, some US states, Croatia, Serbia and Bulgaria are the only jurisdictions I know that ban it, while the rules in Romania and India depend upon the religion of the parties. So, from that perspective, I believe that your rule is too broad.

But I also believe that your rule is too narrow, because it excludes legal relationships. A stepfather, for example, commits incest when he has sex with one of his stepchildren--even though there is not genetic relationship with them, whatsoever.

I see two public policy objections to incest: first is the increased risk of congenital disorders in offspring. (This is why double cousins and cousins related through identical twin parents should be considered separately from true first cousins). In practice, however, this risk can be managed--or at least mitigated--through in utero genetic screening and prenatal evaluation.

The second is, to my way of thinking, much more important: the potential for abusive or exploitive relationships. People who live in close familial relationships with each other develop important levels of trust. There is significant potential for emotional damage if a sexual relationship between two members of the same family were to go wrong. You can break up with a spouse or a lover. But it's much harder to break up with your family.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 4:12 pm

visagrunt wrote:
But it's much harder to break up with your family.

I think the other point is that the closer the relationship, the more likely it is to be far more difficult to break up with someone. Breaking up with a second or third cousin is much less difficult than breaking up with your brother, for instance.

you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 5:46 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with incest. It's disgusting that it's illegal, but there are very deep reasons for its prohibition, and most people find it easier and more comforting to construct "rational" arguments to justify their strongest gut reactions rather than to seriously question them.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 5:48 pm

you_are_what_you_is wrote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with incest. It's disgusting that it's illegal, but there are very deep reasons for its prohibition, and most people find it easier and more comforting to construct "rational" arguments to justify their strongest gut reactions rather than to seriously question them.

Indeed - though I think there can be an awful lot wrong with even consensual incest. It's better off just to make it illegal as there are too many reasons to avoid prohibiting it.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 6:26 pm

one-A-N wrote:
Incest is often a code word for rape, especially where one of the parties is below the age of consent. A lot of so-called "incest" is really child sexual abuse.

It is difficult to discuss without a clear delineation of all the different consensual and non-consensual acts called "incest".

Living together in the same house gives people a degree of intimacy and access, along with differences in status and power, which usually needs to be counter-balanced with boundaries. E.g. an older sibling can use a lot of emotional (and physical) pressure to get a younger sibling to "consent" to sexual activity, and to keep silent about it afterwards. A parent can also abuse both their economic power ("I'll buy you gifts or withhold your allowance") and their authority.

Letting some people think that intra-family sex is OK would be a licence to pressure their family members to "consent". There are too many dependent and vulnerable people within a family to allow it to be considered a socially acceptable field for seeking out sexual partners.

^ This.

In many countries, the age of consent is 16 or younger (14 in Germany). Without laws against incest, there would be a lot of cases of pseudo-consensual (coerced consensual) sex between juveniles and their parents or older siblings. There are already way too many cases of sexual abuse in family environments as it is.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 6:28 pm

I think that some Christians will invoke the "Original Condition" doctrine and propose that, incest having been a property of the "Original Condition" of the first family, anything other than incest would represent a "perversion of the original condition", and therefore be wrong.

At least that's how the argument seemed to go in another thread.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 6:39 pm

you_are_what_you_is wrote:

The ick factor doesn't even enter into it for me. Incest is an ethical problem for the same reason that teacher-student and doctor-patient relationships are seen as unethical. It is all about the dynamics of power, control, trust and dependency.

In theory, I'm fine with two adult siblings having a consensual sexual relationship. But in practice, by far the most common form of incest is sexual abuse or coercion of younger family members that are in no position to resist or refuse.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 6:51 pm

Woody Allen, with his wife and adopted daughter

They have a couple of adorable daughters (who were also adopted).

The circle of life?

Last edited by pandabear on 31 Jan 2012, 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 6:55 pm

Are you trying to make a powerful case against incest with that photo pandabear? ;)

Daemonic-Jackal
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 7:41 pm

Consensual incest between adults shouldn't be a crime (even though I don't agree with it) but I can see why it remains illegal regarding family rape & sexual abuse.

Although the fact that it's legally acceptable to marry your first cousin but not have a relationship with a step-sibling (when there is no bloodline connection) is a flawed concept.

http://www.facebook.com/YentonianCarlos