shrox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 1:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
shrox wrote:
Fnord wrote:
emtyeye wrote:
... one way to torture people is to lock them up with nothing to do. Nothing to do but sit there and rot...
I would love to read your research on prison reform, if only to find out what you would consider to be a viable alternative. People who obey the laws are more deserving of freedom to move around and enjoy life than those who think they are above the law.
All laws? Should women go to prison for using contraception? Those could be some new laws...does your stance of "People who obey the laws are more deserving of freedom to move around and enjoy life than those who think they are above the law" still apply?

ALL laws. If someone doesn't like the law, then he or she can either change the law, or relocate to a place that does not have the law.

Yet you have an avatar of a noted law breaker, I think I can very correctly assume that you don't see the irony of that, since you don't understand metaphor.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 1:40 pm

Fnord wrote:
shrox wrote:
Fnord wrote:
emtyeye wrote:
... one way to torture people is to lock them up with nothing to do. Nothing to do but sit there and rot...
I would love to read your research on prison reform, if only to find out what you would consider to be a viable alternative. People who obey the laws are more deserving of freedom to move around and enjoy life than those who think they are above the law.
All laws? Should women go to prison for using contraception? Those could be some new laws...does your stance of "People who obey the laws are more deserving of freedom to move around and enjoy life than those who think they are above the law" still apply?

ALL laws. If someone doesn't like the law, then he or she can either change the law, or relocate to a place that does not have the law.

Because any regular american citizen can up and change the law :roll: ......lol we can petition and hope the law gets changed, but actually changing it is another story. Also you do realize most people probably don't have the means or resources to relocate to a different country without that law.

In which case following laws based on BS, does not make one more deserving of freedom than someone who breaks these laws. Just my opinion though.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 1:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
...ALL laws. If someone doesn't like the law, then he or she can either change the law, or relocate to a place that does not have the law.

What about laws like, black people can't drink from public drinking fountains marked 'White Only'", or orientals must live in this fenced in area way out in the middle of the desert.
Those were real laws...

Do you realized many laws are finally changed by breaking them?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 1:53 pm

shrox wrote:
Fnord wrote:
...ALL laws. If someone doesn't like the law, then he or she can either change the law, or relocate to a place that does not have the law.

What about laws like, black people can't drink from public drinking fountains marked 'White Only'", or orientals must live in this fenced in area way out in the middle of the desert.

Those were real laws...

What about it being illegal to use flavored rolling papers to roll a cigarette?......something recent I just found out about, and now on the box the papers come in it says not for use with tobacco only legal herbs. Ha ha what a stupid regulation why should it matter whether you use them with tobacco or legal herbs? Guess someone better revoke my freedom before I use an apple flavored paper for my next cigarette.

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2012, 2:56 pm

I have long believed in a system based largely on the PRC's laogai (e.g. reeducation through labor, RTL for short) system for all dysfunctional and damaging persons in American society. Before anyone brings up the accusations of "human right's abuses", note that I am not denying nor questioning most, or really any, of those accusations but I do not see why prisoners should have so many "human rights."

Think about it: Why should criminals be allowed to, or, for that matter, want to, stay in a tiny, wretched cell almost all their time in a correctional system when they could be paying society back by doing hard labor. Furthermore, the reeducation component of this system would force prisoners to deal with their problems and also force them to fix them rather than just sit in a cell trying to break out or form stupid gangs. I have also developed a theory of keeping prisoners in correctional institutions not for a set period of time but for how hard they work: The lazy prisoner will not only be repeatedly punished, s/he will never get out of incarceration, save if, in my system, s/he is declared "unreeducatable" by a committee of judges and thus to be put to death. The prisoner who works hard and reforms herself/himself, however, will most likely get out very soon.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 3:00 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Sadly the Harper Government here in Canada wants to adopt an American style revolving door system because of the profit potentials.

I'm also pretty sure he wants to bring back the death penalty.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 3:09 pm

shrox wrote:
Fnord wrote:
shrox wrote:
Fnord wrote:
emtyeye wrote:
Yet you have an avatar of a noted law breaker, I think I can very correctly assume that you don't see the irony of that, since you don't understand metaphor.

You assume too much, and for no useful purpose.

Sweetleaf wrote:
What about it being illegal to use flavored rolling papers to roll a cigarette?......something recent I just found out about, and now on the box the papers come in it says not for use with tobacco only legal herbs. Ha ha what a stupid regulation why should it matter whether you use them with tobacco or legal herbs? Guess someone better revoke my freedom before I use an apple flavored paper for my next cigarette.

If you don't like the laws the way they are, then either get them changed, change them yourself, or move to someplace where the laws are more to your liking. In any case, you'd be better off to stop whining about it.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 3:45 pm

Fnord wrote:
shrox wrote:
Fnord wrote:
shrox wrote:
Fnord wrote:
emtyeye wrote:

Sweetleaf wrote:

If you don't like the laws the way they are, then either get them changed, change them yourself, or move to someplace where the laws are more to your liking. In any case, you'd be better off to stop whining about it.

So what do you think about Ms. Rosa Parks? Send her to prison? (in case you need a refresher...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks)

What do you think of the Jim Crow laws?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 3:48 pm

shrox wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
emtyeye wrote:
The US now has more people behind bars than Stalin had in the Gulags:

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/a ... rge_gopnik

But they are not being tortured.

ruveyn

Oh, they are.

You really ought to read Solzyentizin to find out what the Gulags were really like.

ruveyn

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 3:49 pm

shrox wrote:
So what do you think about Ms. Rosa Parks? Send her to prison?

By her example, she got the laws changed, and in a civil and respectful manner.

shrox wrote:

Those that have not been eliminated will be soon.

Like I keep saying: Either change the laws, get them changed, or move someplace where the laws are more to your liking.

Otherwise, people should stop all this damn whining about how the laws they don't like are "unfair".

:roll:

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 4:10 pm

shrox wrote:
Fnord wrote:
shrox wrote:
Fnord wrote:
shrox wrote:
Fnord wrote:
emtyeye wrote:

Sweetleaf wrote:

So what do you think about Ms. Rosa Parks? Send her to prison? (in case you need a refresher...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks)

I was about to ask Fnord two very similar questions. But I was thinking more in the lines of Anne Frank than Rosa Parks. One could also mention Alan Turing's chemical castration in this context.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 4:12 pm

Fnord wrote:
shrox wrote:
So what do you think about Ms. Rosa Parks? Send her to prison?

By her example, she got the laws changed, and in a civil and respectful manner.

By her example of openly disobeying a ridiculous and oppressive law.

Quote:
Like I keep saying: Either change the laws, get them changed, or move someplace where the laws are more to your liking.

It's not quite as easy to move someplace else as you seem to think. First you need to find a country that will have you.

Quote:
Otherwise, people should stop all this damn whining about how the laws they don't like are "unfair".

It is this "whining" that gets laws changed. Martin Luther King used to "whine" a lot back in the day, and so did women suffragists. Had they done what you suggest and "stopped all this damn whining", things would have remained the same.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 9:19 pm

Pandabear wrote:

Quote:
You're way out of line. Just you wait: I'll tell a moderator on you, and you'll be in BIG TROUBLE!! !!

I’m not into standing in lines therefor I can’t be out of one.

Vigilans wrote:
Quote:
Your country does not have a major political party that actually is on the left.

The Democratic Party is on the left. Why do I say this? Because it’s sure as hell not on the right where I am and I’m only moderately right. I’d be able to see them from where I am if they were right or even moderate. I know and have known far right wingers and they make me look like a bawling liberal by comparison.

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 1:10 am

Raptor wrote:
Pandabear wrote:
Quote:
You're way out of line. Just you wait: I'll tell a moderator on you, and you'll be in BIG TROUBLE!! !!

I’m not into standing in lines therefor I can’t be out of one.

Vigilans wrote:
Quote:
Your country does not have a major political party that actually is on the left.

The Democratic Party is on the left. Why do I say this? Because it’s sure as hell not on the right where I am and I’m only moderately right. I’d be able to see them from where I am if they were right or even moderate. I know and have known far right wingers and they make me look like a bawling liberal by comparison.

ruveyn wrote:
Tadzio wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
emtyeye wrote:

ruveyn

Hi ruveyn,

Too bad the "non-torture" is so often fatal in the U.S.A.:

bluntedboywonder wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILEmYeX7eHQ[/youtube]
Quote:
62-year-old Nick Christie was restrained, gagged and pepper sprayed up to 10 times in the Lee County Jail in Florida - his death is raising questions about torture and abuse

This is a disgrace!

An news article has more details of the common "rare practice":
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/1 ... 92412.html

Then, sissy me is worried about more of "reasonable accommodation" to a helped early death:

Tadzio wrote:
After about 16 years of driving with no traffic citations, I stopped driving almost 25 years ago. State Rehab demanded that I continue to seek jobs requiring driving, but when simple partial seizures more often progressed to complex partial seizures sometimes like short-term melt-downs, I regarded driving as too dangerous.

In public, I now now try to maintain continuous recordings & GPS tracking for such events, as the public & police are often hostile in their responses. A recently released video of a guy on the roads of Henderson, Nevada in Diabetic Shock, illustrates what some responses can be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6Mzcs8Vuw
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6Mzcs8Vuw[/youtube]

Tadzio

Iran is looking for more diplomats to explain away the history of WWII, since "un-tortured" history is so unpleasant. Besides, as Ted Bundy claimed: "Look At All The People Not Murdered!! !" But, that still seems like a very, very poor defense.

Tadzio

Sure. There are wrongful deaths in prison. But most people who go to prison, live to be released.

In fact our prisons are so over-crowded that many of the inmates are released before their sentences are served.

Prisons are cages, in American, not death camps. And prisoners are generally not worked to death as they were in the Gulags.

I am not making a brief for our prison system. But in the scale of things our prisons are bad, but the Gulags were much worse.

ruveyn

Raptor wrote:
pandabear wrote:
He's right, you know. We just have conservatives like Obama, and vicious fascists like the Republican Party.

We'll make another dunce cap just for you, then.......... :doh:

:roll:

ruveyn wrote:
shrox wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
emtyeye wrote:

ruveyn

Oh, they are.

You really ought to read Solzyentizin to find out what the Gulags were really like.

ruveyn

Fnord wrote:
shrox wrote:
Fnord wrote:
emtyeye wrote:

Raptor wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
^^ So are all your sh***y hockey teams also only yours to hate [just kidding, sorta]? :P Nazism only Germany's to hate? :P

Hockey is more you people's domain. We're more of a football nation.

Nazism is a thing of the past but we'll go there anyway.
Personally, I wouldn't have cared what they did within their own borders if they'd left it within their borders but they didn't. It obviously became an interest to any country they invaded or were at war with at the time.
The U.S., on the other hand, isn't in to expansionism (no, Iraq and Afghanistan aren't examples of expansionism) so our Constitution is our own to fret over. When we run low on maple syrup or want to acquire some good hockey teams and annex Canada then it will become something for you and your buddy Master Pedant to fret over.
:P :P

Hi Raptor, ruveyn, & Fnord (Abgal64, how's your Mao's Little Red Book project going against anything worse??),

Raptor, you are standing in lines that you overly recognize, but claim to deny, and are lines often called borders, limits, lines, districts, etc. Your lecturing everyone to stay inside their lines while you sing your song of Dixie sounds ridiculously absurd as the political stance of a globally hungry rattlesnake refusing to stay in its own snake pit. Because the neo-Conservative has Brass-Knuckles in the Right hand does not make the mace in the left hand "Liberal".

Ruveyn, your "wrongful death" stance only recognizes this nation's concerns of the dangers of nobody being left to torture. The State's counties have been concerned over the inhumane prison density being relieved by federal court order resulting in prisoner's near death being dumped off on the bankrupt counties. Having the bodies hauled out of the prisons just before total death sounds similar to deaths in the overly optimistic "Cancer Ward". This isn't the glory of opportunity of "work" to die, as death by any cause, not just suicide, reduces the opportunity of the State to apply torture just to the limits of death from pain. Raptor's, and his displaying his dunce cap, stance described as "Best of the Worst" still does not exonerate argued seperate but unequal evils as not involving evils. I've read most of Solzhenitsyn's works, and I've read some of his works expressing his concerns, before his death, of Russia being taken over by the Demons of Capitalistic Libertarianism too, with catastrophic results for anyone not talented at playing the biggest capitalist pig game at raiding resources once held for the common good.

Fnord, maybe the U.S.A. can buy the Berlin Wall, or maybe the Great Wall of China, and move it to the borders of the U.S.A., and see if anybody can figure out whether it's to keep "illegal humans" in or out of the Kafkaesque America of the Great U.S.A.

Tadzio

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 2:39 am

Fnord wrote:
shrox wrote:
Fnord wrote:
shrox wrote:
Fnord wrote:
emtyeye wrote:

Sweetleaf wrote:

Well if I really wanted I could start a petition but for now I think I will continue rolling ciggerettes how I choose. If someone has an issue with it they can talk to me about it but I am not going to go out of my way to follow something so ridiculous. But also I think for obvious reasons there is no way for me to move anywhere........I believe some sort of accumulated money would be nessisary and that's not happening anytime soon. And I was using it as an example of a stupid law for the purpose of discussion not whining about it. No need to get personal just because I made a point you don't like.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 3:05 am

Tadzio wrote:
Raptor, you are standing in lines that you overly recognize, but claim to deny, and are lines often called borders, limits, lines, districts, etc. Your lecturing everyone to stay inside their lines while you sing your song of Dixie sounds ridiculously absurd as the political stance of a globally hungry rattlesnake refusing to stay in its own snake pit. Because the neo-Conservative has Brass-Knuckles in the Right hand does not make the mace in the left hand "Liberal".

Tadzio

ha ha ha ha!! !!

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith