Page 7 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 1:40 pm

shrox wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
shrox wrote:

I don't believe we have a "soul". We are just a temporal being, like the Bible says...we live, die, then nothing, then the Resurrection.

I always understood a soul was a requirement for the Resurrection, but before then, it's asleep with Christ.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

I believe when Jesus died, he was truly dead, the entity of Jesus Christ did not exist for three days and three nights. Yahweh had reduced himself to the zygote that grew into Jesus Christ. He then experienced the world and a full range of human emotions and pains so he could truly know what it is like to be human. Then we humans tortured and killed him in a horrible fashion. The dead body was then entombed Wednesday evening until He was quickened by Jehovah on Saturday evening. The stone was moved away, and Jesus walked out of the tomb as Yahweh, with firsthand knowledge of the animal called human.

Jehovah witnessed all of this, and did not move against us.

I believe the same is for us, and that is why Jehovah did not move against us. Jesus was the first of billions, who die, are dead, then are resurrected and quickened.

I think you and I are of two different Christian traditions.
As a Lutheran, I believe for the three days after his death, Christ had descended into hell to proclaim his victory to the fallen angels there, then was resurrected. This, I believe, can be found written by Peter, and is also in the Ecumenical Creeds.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 1:46 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
shrox wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
shrox wrote:

I don't believe we have a "soul". We are just a temporal being, like the Bible says...we live, die, then nothing, then the Resurrection.

I always understood a soul was a requirement for the Resurrection, but before then, it's asleep with Christ.

I believe when Jesus died, he was truly dead, the entity of Jesus Christ did not exist for three days and three nights. Yahweh had reduced himself to the zygote that grew into Jesus Christ. He then experienced the world and a full range of human emotions and pains so he could truly know what it is like to be human. Then we humans tortured and killed him in a horrible fashion. The dead body was then entombed Wednesday evening until He was quickened by Jehovah on Saturday evening. The stone was moved away, and Jesus walked out of the tomb as Yahweh, with firsthand knowledge of the animal called human.

Jehovah witnessed all of this, and did not move against us.

I believe the same is for us, and that is why Jehovah did not move against us. Jesus was the first of billions, who die, are dead, then are resurrected and quickened.

I think you and I are of two different Christian traditions.
As a Lutheran, I believe for the three days after his death, Christ had descended into hell to proclaim his victory to the fallen angels there, then was resurrected. This, I believe, can be found written by Peter, and is also in the Ecumenical Creeds.

Oh, Quakers have no creeds.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 1:55 pm

Samuel D Caldwell - a former executive secretary of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting - offers this statement as a succinct definition of the Quaker Faith. It's from a lecture he gave in 1998 entitled, "The time has come to choose". Enjoy!

Samuel D Caldwell wrote:
"God gives to every human being who comes into the world - regardless of race, religion, gender, or station - a measure of the divine spirit as a living witness and an eternal Light to be inwardly guided by on a daily basis. That Inner Light is supernatural, personal, universal, saving, eternal, persistent, and pure. The chief end of religious life is to learn to listen to and act upon the promptings of this Light under the authority of God and within the bonds of human community. Those who learn to heed the promptings of this Light come to be 'saved' - that is, they come into fullness and wholeness of life and right relationship with God, themselves, the universe and one another. Those who resist, ignore, or otherwise deny the workings of this pure spirit within them, though they profess themselves to be religious, are “condemned” - that is, they become alienated from God, from themselves, from the universe, and from one another."

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 2:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
Samuel D Caldwell - a former executive secretary of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting - offers this statement as a succinct definition of the Quaker Faith. It's from a lecture he gave in 1998 entitled, "The time has come to choose". Enjoy!

Samuel D Caldwell wrote:
"God gives to every human being who comes into the world - regardless of race, religion, gender, or station - a measure of the divine spirit as a living witness and an eternal Light to be inwardly guided by on a daily basis. That Inner Light is supernatural, personal, universal, saving, eternal, persistent, and pure. The chief end of religious life is to learn to listen to and act upon the promptings of this Light under the authority of God and within the bonds of human community. Those who learn to heed the promptings of this Light come to be 'saved' - that is, they come into fullness and wholeness of life and right relationship with God, themselves, the universe and one another. Those who resist, ignore, or otherwise deny the workings of this pure spirit within them, though they profess themselves to be religious, are “condemned” - that is, they become alienated from God, from themselves, from the universe, and from one another."

Mr. Caldwell has a very educated opinion, there is something that sets humans apart from the rest of the animal order.

I believe the last statement to be true, but simply not for humans. Other intelligent beings have ears that hear too, like...

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 3:55 pm

@ shrox

I'm unfamiliar with the teachings of various religions, and I'm just curious then according to what you wrote, does that mean that Yahweh, even though He created "man and earth", did not understand the creature "man" until He lived as a man?

Autism Spectrum quotient: 41, Empathy Quotient: 19

Last edited by goodwitchy on 28 Feb 2012, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 4:48 pm

goodwitchy wrote:
@ shrox

I'm unfamiliar with the teachings of various religions, and I'm just curious then according to what you wrote, does that mean that Yahweh, even though He created "man and earth", did not understand the creature "man" until He lived as a man?...

If anyone were to say "you don't know what it's like to be us and how hard it is", He can say he does know.

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 5:24 pm

shrox wrote:
goodwitchy wrote:
@ shrox

I'm unfamiliar with the teachings of various religions, and I'm just curious then according to what you wrote, does that mean that Yahweh, even though He created "man and earth", did not understand the creature "man" until He lived as a man?...

If anyone were to say "you don't know what it's like to be us and how hard it is", He can say he does know.

Ah, okay thank you for responding.

Last edited by goodwitchy on 28 Feb 2012, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 6:28 pm

shrox wrote:

I'll let Pulp respond to this one. They weren't singing about God, but it's the same principle:

Quote:
Rent a flat above a shop, cut your hair and get a job.
Smoke some fags and play some pool, pretend you never went to school.
But still you'll never get it right
'cos when you're laid in bed at night watching roaches climb the wall
If you call your Dad he could stop it all.
You'll never live like common people
You'll never do what common people do
You'll never fail like common people
You'll never watch your life slide out of view, and dance and drink and screw
Because there's nothing else to do.

He can't know what it's like to be human, because he can always snap his fingers and become a deity again. He can't understand the doubt and the fear of the future, because he knows what's going to happen. He won't ever worry that he's doing the wrong thing. He can't ever have that nagging doubt that many humans have when praying that no-one is listening.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 6:52 pm

Thom_Fuleri wrote:
shrox wrote:

...He can't know what it's like to be human, because he can always snap his fingers and become a deity again. He can't understand the doubt and the fear of the future, because he knows what's going to happen. He won't ever worry that he's doing the wrong thing. He can't ever have that nagging doubt that many humans have when praying that no-one is listening.

No, he could not! That was the whole point of it all!

Sure, He could have asked his Father to pull him out of it all, but he didn't, even to the point of death. He experienced being human, from zygote to corpse.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 6:53 pm

Thom_Fuleri wrote:
shrox wrote:

I'll let Pulp respond to this one. They weren't singing about God, but it's the same principle:

Quote:
Rent a flat above a shop, cut your hair and get a job.
Smoke some fags and play some pool, pretend you never went to school.
But still you'll never get it right
'cos when you're laid in bed at night watching roaches climb the wall
If you call your Dad he could stop it all.
You'll never live like common people
You'll never do what common people do
You'll never fail like common people
You'll never watch your life slide out of view, and dance and drink and screw
Because there's nothing else to do.

He can't know what it's like to be human, because he can always snap his fingers and become a deity again. He can't understand the doubt and the fear of the future, because he knows what's going to happen. He won't ever worry that he's doing the wrong thing. He can't ever have that nagging doubt that many humans have when praying that no-one is listening.

Actually, in the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus was pretty scared of what he knew was coming. In fact, he prayed so hard that he was supposed to have sweated blood when he prayed to "take this cup from me." Sounds pretty human to me.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 6:19 am

MCalavera wrote:
heavenlyabyss wrote:
Edit: The story of Abraham is disgusting to me but I'm not sure if it applies specifically to Christianity or Catholicism? It seems like it is of Hebrew origin? I don't really know what I am talking about because I was not raised with any religion, but my point still stands that this story disgusts me and describes everything that is wrong with religion.

You think that's bad. Try the story of Jephthah and his unfortunate daughter.

Yeah, I looked up started reading it and then decided it was in my own best interest to stop.

I'm not so interested in defending atheism as to do damage to myself by reading such hateful drivel. I prefer to be ignorant.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 6:32 am

heavenlyabyss wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
heavenlyabyss wrote:
Edit: The story of Abraham is disgusting to me but I'm not sure if it applies specifically to Christianity or Catholicism? It seems like it is of Hebrew origin? I don't really know what I am talking about because I was not raised with any religion, but my point still stands that this story disgusts me and describes everything that is wrong with religion.

You think that's bad. Try the story of Jephthah and his unfortunate daughter.

Yeah, I looked up started reading it and then decided it was in my own best interest to stop.

I'm not so interested in defending atheism as to do damage to myself by reading such hateful drivel. I prefer to be ignorant.

Admittedly, stuff like that makes me wonder if the entire Bible is actually inspired. :?

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 7:53 am

DEdwards wrote:
just all those years of hellfire being burned into my mind, even as a child, they'd threaten with damnation for something as small as claiming I didn't wash my hands before dinner.
It sounds like you had a good upbringing, then.

The "Hell" you were taught about is a Pagan concept, and it's not found anywhere in the Bible. The Hell referred to in Mark refers to "worms that never die," in one wording or another, depending on your version. That's all they mean: worms. They aren't trying to use some code-word for "soul," but they're talking about something that eats your body. They mean that you're dead forever.

Satan is a servant of God who challenges and tests the moral righteousness of individuals. You will find that in Job. This old concept that he's a "rebellious angel" or some other nonsense is rubbish and horse feathers. If you ignore all of the Pagan nonsense out there, Satan is just someone sent by God to point out if you are being an arrogant ninny.

The New Testament is pretty clear on "eternal life." Only the followers of Jesus are resurrected, and that is the end of it. That is final. That is self-evident if you read the Bible, without trying to superimpose onto it a lot of Pagan nonsense.

Everything that you have been taught is Pagan. Christianity has never been the dominant religion in the West. It never will be. The old faith, Paganism, lives on, just under different pretenses. You are a Pagan, and you were raised on Pagan values. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but it ain't Christianity if you consider Christianity to have anything to do with Christ from the Bible.

Now, read your Bible, and read it with a sense of scholarship this time. Don't miss a single page, and please, for the sake of my sanity, don't try to superimpose your Pagan beliefs on scripture that is translated into reasonably plain English. If you can make it through our secondary education system, you can read the Bible. It's the same method of scholarship our country has lovingly tried to instill in you since you were in Kindergarten.

Why? Why does it take an atheist to realize what is plainly obvious?

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 7:57 am

What are you on about?

The Bible is a collection of books that contradict each other on a lot of the doctrines. You can't reasonably argue that the Bible never states that hell is eternal when you have the Book of Revelation stating exactly what you're arguing against.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 8:57 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Quote:

Actually, in the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus was pretty scared of what he knew was coming. In fact, he prayed so hard that he was supposed to have sweated blood when he prayed to "take this cup from me." Sounds pretty human to me.

I always thought it was peculiar Jesus would even pray. Who exactly was he praying to?? He is god, after all (Right?), did he really find it necessary to pray to commune with himself or something? This sounds remarkably schizo. Someone enlighten me?

DEdwards
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2012, 9:09 am

WilliamWDelaney wrote:
DEdwards wrote:
just all those years of hellfire being burned into my mind, even as a child, they'd threaten with damnation for something as small as claiming I didn't wash my hands before dinner.
It sounds like you had a good upbringing, then.

The "Hell" you were taught about is a Pagan concept, and it's not found anywhere in the Bible. The Hell referred to in Mark refers to "worms that never die," in one wording or another, depending on your version. That's all they mean: worms. They aren't trying to use some code-word for "soul," but they're talking about something that eats your body. They mean that you're dead forever.

Satan is a servant of God who challenges and tests the moral righteousness of individuals. You will find that in Job. This old concept that he's a "rebellious angel" or some other nonsense is rubbish and horse feathers. If you ignore all of the Pagan nonsense out there, Satan is just someone sent by God to point out if you are being an arrogant ninny.

The New Testament is pretty clear on "eternal life." Only the followers of Jesus are resurrected, and that is the end of it. That is final. That is self-evident if you read the Bible, without trying to superimpose onto it a lot of Pagan nonsense.

Everything that you have been taught is Pagan. Christianity has never been the dominant religion in the West. It never will be. The old faith, Paganism, lives on, just under different pretenses. You are a Pagan, and you were raised on Pagan values. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but it ain't Christianity if you consider Christianity to have anything to do with Christ from the Bible.

Now, read your Bible, and read it with a sense of scholarship this time. Don't miss a single page, and please, for the sake of my sanity, don't try to superimpose your Pagan beliefs on scripture that is translated into reasonably plain English. If you can make it through our secondary education system, you can read the Bible. It's the same method of scholarship our country has lovingly tried to instill in you since you were in Kindergarten.

Why? Why does it take an atheist to realize what is plainly obvious?

Pagan? Who said anything about paganism? Pagans are polytheistic and the Christians did usurp many Pagan traditions to better incorporate them into the Christian collective.