Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Is incest immoral and should it be illegal?
Yes it is immoral and should be punished to the full extent of the law 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
It's immoral but shouldn't be a crime 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
It's not really immoral but it should be a crime anyway 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Depends on the exact relationship of the two people 31%  31%  [ 16 ]
No there's nothing inherently wrong with it, it should be legal even though it's gross 37%  37%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 52

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 3:50 am

What is your opinion? Personally I frown upon incest but it's difficult to argue that it's actually immoral because if it's consensual, there is no victim.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 3:51 am

Define it.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 3:52 am

...I am going to bed before my head explodes.

Good night.

You will reap what you've sown.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 3:53 am

My definition of incest would be having sexual relationships with someone who is at least as closely related genetically to you as a first cousin.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

donnie_darko wrote:
My definition of incest would be having sexual relationships with someone who is at least as closely related genetically to you as a first cousin.

Cousin incest is legal here so doesn't count as incest. Very popular with Pakistani gentlemen, so I believe.

Last edited by Tequila on 29 Jan 2012, 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

abacacus wrote:

Good night.

Sorry if I spoil your dreams.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 3:54 am

Tequila wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

Cousin incest is legal here so doesn't count as incest. Very popular with Pakistani gentlemen, so I believe.

Einstein actually married his cousin. Yeah I suppose it's debatable whether that's really incest. It's all relative I guess. Technically all sex is incest since humans are proven to all have a common heritage if you go back far enough.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 3:55 am

donnie_darko wrote:
abacacus wrote:

Good night.

Sorry if I spoil your dreams.

LOL.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 4:54 am

Incest is often a code word for rape, especially where one of the parties is below the age of consent. A lot of so-called "incest" is really child sexual abuse.

It is difficult to discuss without a clear delineation of all the different consensual and non-consensual acts called "incest".

Living together in the same house gives people a degree of intimacy and access, along with differences in status and power, which usually needs to be counter-balanced with boundaries. E.g. an older sibling can use a lot of emotional (and physical) pressure to get a younger sibling to "consent" to sexual activity, and to keep silent about it afterwards. A parent can also abuse both their economic power ("I'll buy you gifts or withhold your allowance") and their authority.

Letting some people think that intra-family sex is OK would be a licence to pressure their family members to "consent". There are too many dependent and vulnerable people within a family to allow it to be considered a socially acceptable field for seeking out sexual partners.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 5:04 am

one-A-N wrote:
Incest is often a code word for rape, especially where one of the parties is below the age of consent. A lot of so-called "incest" is really child sexual abuse.

It is difficult to discuss without a clear delineation of all the different consensual and non-consensual acts called "incest".

Living together in the same house gives people a degree of intimacy and access, along with differences in status and power, which usually needs to be counter-balanced with boundaries. E.g. an older sibling can use a lot of emotional (and physical) pressure to get a younger sibling to "consent" to sexual activity, and to keep silent about it afterwards. A parent can also abuse both their economic power ("I'll buy you gifts or withhold your allowance") and their authority.

Letting some people think that intra-family sex is OK would be a licence to pressure their family members to "consent". There are too many dependent and vulnerable people within a family to allow it to be considered a socially acceptable field for seeking out sexual partners.

Spot on.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 5:52 am

My opinion... It's kind of like sleeping with someone who you know has an STD... Probably shouldn't be illegal, it's just a really, really bad idea.

Although, it does occur to me that the only people stupid enough to consent to it may be those born out of it.

And if it wasn't consensual, or involves a minor, that's illegal anyway. It's called rape.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 6:35 am

donnie_darko wrote:
What is your opinion? Personally I frown upon incest but it's difficult to argue that it's actually immoral because if it's consensual, there is no victim.

The problem with incest is the condition of children which issue from such a relationship.

If the women in the incestuous relationship is unable to bear children, there is no substantial reason to forbid the relationship (as long as it is consenting).

ruveyn

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 11:09 am

If incest wasn't at least look down on, I wonder how many people would settle for a relationship with a family member?

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 11:18 am

I would consider incest with the intent of procreation to be immoral, it results in handicapped children like poor old Charles II of Spain.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 11:21 am

ruveyn wrote:
The problem with incest is the condition of children which issue from such a relationship.

And the intense social shunning and extreme social isolation that the incestuous couple may well receive?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 12:55 pm

Tequila wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

And the intense social shunning and extreme social isolation that the incestuous couple may well receive?

If there is no question of children, they can move to a place where they are not known.

ruveyn