Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 8:33 am

Recently at lunchtime ( at work) a co worker mentioned to us that the big wiggs ( bankers or wall streeters?) dressed up as 'foreclosure people' at a Halloween party.

How compassionate of them.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 6:23 pm

Mdyar wrote:
Recently at lunchtime ( at work) a co worker mentioned to us that the big wiggs ( bankers or wall streeters?) dressed up as 'foreclosure people' at a Halloween party.

How compassionate of them.

Every war effort requires the dehumanization of the enemy in the minds of the soldiers. The war on the 99% is no exception.

CoMF
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2012, 6:48 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
Every war effort requires the dehumanization of the enemy in the minds of the soldiers. The war on the 99% is no exception.

So we combat this by sinking to the level of the "1%"? Brilliant. When we let raw emotion untempered by logic become the final arbiter in how we interact with others, I guess two wrongs make a right.

Such is populism.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 7:20 pm

CoMF wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:

So we combat this by sinking to the level of the "1%"? Brilliant. When we let raw emotion untempered by logic become the final arbiter in how we interact with others, I guess two wrongs make a right.

Such is populism.

You misunderstood me :) The employees of the foreclosure mill that organized the homeless-themed Halloween party are mercenaries in the army of the 1%, so to speak. Their costumes show how little empathy they feel for those who were scammed out of their homes by greedy bankers. "Hobos" in general are regarded as barely human by people who buy into Reagan's "greed is good" folly and support the war against the poor.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DkCBn9o5sg[/youtube]

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 7:38 pm

That's a great article btw (I just finished reading it).

CoMF
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2012, 8:13 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
You misunderstood me :) The employees of the foreclosure mill that organized the homeless-themed Halloween party are mercenaries in the army of the 1%, so to speak. Their costumes show how little empathy they feel for those who were scammed out of their homes by greedy bankers. "Hobos" in general are regarded as barely human by people who buy into Reagan's "greed is good" folly and support the war against the poor.

Oh, ok. Sorry if I misunderstood. :P

Don't get me wrong. I regard "foreclosure mills" the same way I'd view any other predator. I don't feel the least bit of sympathy for big banks who are experiencing displaced homeowners squatting in their former residences, especially when some of them tried everything they could to avoid going into default.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 8:54 pm

While material gain is a large motivator in a large portion of the American population, I don't think our communities have become as completely "soulless" as the article claims. For many, the American Dream is just making a comfortable living-- being able to cover the bills, have a nest egg, and educate the kids. That is getting harder to come by, so maybe it is America's downfall.

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2012, 9:19 pm

Why the American Empire Was Destined to Collapse wrote:
NP: Finally, you moved to Mexico a number of years ago. Is all this why? Do you ever see yourself coming back to America?

MB: There are a lot of answers to that question, and yes, some of the reasons can be found in the above dialogue. You know, the air is really “thin” in the United States, because the value-system is one-dimensional. It’s basically about economic and technological expansion, not much else; the “else” exists at the margins, if it exists at all. I first discovered this when I traveled around Europe in my mid-20s. I saw that the citizens of those countries talked about lots of things, not just about material success. Money is of course important to the citizens of other countries, Mexico included, but it’s not necessarily the center of their lives.

Here’s what the US lacks, which I believe Mexico has: community, friendship, appreciation of beauty, craftsmanship as opposed to obsessive technology, and—despite what you read in the American newspapers—huge graciousness; a large, beating heart. I never found very much of those things in the US; certainly, I never found much heart. American cities and suburbs have to be the most soulless places in the world. In a word, America has its priorities upside down, and after decades of living there, I was simply tired of being a stranger in a strange land. In A General Theory of Love, Thomas Lewis and his colleagues conclude that happiness is achieved only by those who manage to escape the American value-system. Well, the easiest way to escape from that value-system, is to escape from America.

This is a great article. This gives some of the reasons why I'd kind of like to move out of the country. I don't like how greedy and materialistic this country is. I wish it embraced more of those things that he listed Mexico as having like community, friendship, appreciation of beauty, and craftsmanship. I make a fair amount of money, but I don't spend most of it and it just sits in my bank account. I can only amuse myself so much with money. I want other things besides money and material possessions. I wouldn't want to move to Mexico though because of crime and poverty. I guess some places in America embrace some of the same things as Mexico. Maybe I could move to one of those places. I think that if more places in America embraced those things, people would be happier here than they are now. I used to have more fun before social networking, back when I had some friends and people actually wanted to hang out with me in person sometimes.