Jory
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 7:06 pm

Embroglio
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Mar 2012, 7:25 pm

If you don't like WalMart just don't shop there. Honestly if WalMart didn't exist there would be another store that fills the same exact spot.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 7:42 pm

I don't go there very much at all like I used to.
I don't like their predatory business practices against smaller, especially locally owned, businesses.
:x

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 7:44 pm

I've been tempted to drop a deuce on the floor a couple times. Wish I had gotten that off of my "before you turn 18" bucket list.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 7:47 pm

snapcap wrote:
I've been tempted to drop a deuce on the floor a couple times. Wish I had gotten that off of my "before you turn 18" bucket list.

So punish the workers for the corporation?

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 8:22 pm

Alexender wrote:

:heart: The quote.

"You and Peter are but two sides of the same coin, and I am the metal in between."

to his Interest."

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 9:41 pm

Alexender wrote:
snapcap wrote:

I'm guessing I don't have the dexterity to get it in the coffee pot.

EDIT: I'd do it in the stores too, right in front of the greeter.

Last edited by snapcap on 16 Mar 2012, 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 9:49 pm

I think we should put magnets on the corpse of Sam Walton so we can use him to generate electricity, that's what.

CoMF
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Mar 2012, 3:20 am

I don't shop there if I can help it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 3:24 am

Chipshorter wrote:

NO, the supermarket industry is an oligopoly! Not only are supermarkets harming the retail sector there are impacting on urban planning and the real estate market (I know for a fact from one supermarket employee, that there employer makes more money on real estate than on the goods & services the supermarket sells).

Also with there diversification strategies are effecting other business sectors.

The supermarkets sell food umpteen times cheaper than Ma an Pa Inc. To Hell with Ma and Pa.

ruveyn

Chipshorter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: The Georgian Quarter of The Pool of Life, The Centre of The Creative Universe

17 Mar 2012, 11:45 am

ruveyn wrote:
Chipshorter wrote:

NO, the supermarket industry is an oligopoly! Not only are supermarkets harming the retail sector there are impacting on urban planning and the real estate market (I know for a fact from one supermarket employee, that there employer makes more money on real estate than on the goods & services the supermarket sells).

Also with there diversification strategies are effecting other business sectors.

The supermarkets sell food umpteen times cheaper than Ma an Pa Inc. To Hell with Ma and Pa.

You wouldn't be saying that if you owned a small business now, especially a small business that has to compete with supermarkets for trade. You do know that supermarkets exploit there supply chains and economies of scale to get you your cheap food.
So are you perfectly OK with farmers who supply food to supermarkets to be ripped off & exploited so that you can get your cheap food?

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 4:13 pm

Chipshorter wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Chipshorter wrote:

You wouldn't be saying that if you owned a small business now, especially a small business that has to compete with supermarkets for trade. You do know that supermarkets exploit there supply chains and economies of scale to get you your cheap food.
So are you perfectly OK with farmers who supply food to supermarkets to be ripped off & exploited so that you can get your cheap food?

I won't speak for ruveyn,
but has it occurred to you that most people have to buy cheap food, or else have no food at all?

to his Interest."

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 4:26 pm

Chipshorter wrote:

So are you perfectly OK with farmers who supply food to supermarkets to be ripped off & exploited so that you can get your cheap food?[/quote]

Most food is grown on corporate farms in the United States. Farmers are no long the poor waifs and Oakies of the 1930s.

ruveyn

Chipshorter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: The Georgian Quarter of The Pool of Life, The Centre of The Creative Universe

17 Mar 2012, 5:07 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
but has it occurred to you that most people have to buy cheap food, or else have no food at all?

I am aware of that fact thank you, are you aware that people working in the food supply chain have to eat as well.
Now is it fair that suppliers lose out financially all for the sake that costumers and supermarkets demanding cheaper products?

Supermarkets are the winners in the supply chain due to there focus on achieving profit maximization, the initial suppliers at the start of the supply chain are the ones that lose out the most.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 9:02 pm

Chipshorter wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

I am aware of that fact thank you, are you aware that people working in the food supply chain have to eat as well.
Now is it fair that suppliers lose out financially all for the sake that costumers and supermarkets demanding cheaper products?

Supermarkets are the winners in the supply chain due to there focus on achieving profit maximization, the initial suppliers at the start of the supply chain are the ones that lose out the most.

Actually supermarkets work a low profit margins to maximize sales volumes. If a store sells a lot of stuff cheap it makes a fine return on capital invested.

ruveyn

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 9:42 pm

Walmart is a good place to fortify and defend in case of a zombie apocalypse. That was the subject of a Judge John Hodgeman episode recently (A radio show).

Unfortunately a lot of other people would have the same idea.