Page 3 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 9:45 pm

simon_says wrote:
Walmart is a good place to fortify and defend in case of a zombie apocalypse. That was the subject of a Judge John Hodgeman episode recently (A radio show).

Unfortunately a lot of other people would have the same idea.

Who ever was on shift would probably try to box themselves in. Take pallets of garden stones and block off the entrances with them, break the pallets so they can't be used. Only probably is that after a few weeks of no electricity the smell would be overwhelming, all the bad dairy, ugh. (some of what I have thought about when I was bored there)

Pour glue, and tape, all stuff like that so that people can't take the barrier apart

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 10:05 pm

It's huge, although Asda is probably like a mini-Wal Mart compared to the huge ones you get in the U.S. and other countries.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 10:11 pm

Alexender wrote:
simon_says wrote:
Walmart is a good place to fortify and defend in case of a zombie apocalypse. That was the subject of a Judge John Hodgeman episode recently (A radio show).

Unfortunately a lot of other people would have the same idea.

Who ever was on shift would probably try to box themselves in. Take pallets of garden stones and block off the entrances with them, break the pallets so they can't be used. Only probably is that after a few weeks of no electricity the smell would be overwhelming, all the bad dairy, ugh. (some of what I have thought about when I was bored there)

Pour glue, and tape, all stuff like that so that people can't take the barrier apart

Dairy is easily removed, put it on the roof. Also, Wal-Marts tend to have generators.

The problem would be that the supplies will quickly disappear. Wal-Mart makes most of their money off of things that are useless in a zombie outbreak (TV's, video games, etc).

You'd be better off blockading a grocery store.

You will reap what you've sown.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

17 Mar 2012, 11:27 pm

In case of zombie's I would head for the mountains with guns, plenty of ammo, a wild edibles guide and some nylon rope.

forget walmart, that would be like the superdome during Katrina once all the food is gone.
Ppl would be killing each other over the last twinkie

Jojo

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 11:32 pm

Can this thread please stay on topic? I am not going to deny, I think this is interesting, I think it would be good if someone made a separate topic about what they would do in a zombie apocalypse

Chipshorter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: The Georgian Quarter of The Pool of Life, The Centre of The Creative Universe

18 Mar 2012, 12:06 am

ruveyn wrote:
Actually supermarkets work a low profit margins to maximize sales volumes. If a store sells a lot of stuff cheap it makes a fine return on capital invested.

Are you assuming that a loss leader pricing strategy is being using?
You do know that low profit margins are at high risk to decline in sales, which will make it hard to make a net profit or break even.

With you stating that supermarkets have low profit margins, its clear that your stating that they use a loss leader strategy on all there good. As a one characteristic of a loss leader is its low profit margin.

I don't think that supermarkets will use loss leaders on all there goods as its like cutting there own noses off there faces.

Last edited by Chipshorter on 18 Mar 2012, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 12:18 am

jojobean wrote:
In case of zombie's I would head for the mountains with guns, plenty of ammo, a wild edibles guide and some nylon rope.

forget walmart, that would be like the superdome during Katrina once all the food is gone.
Ppl would be killing each other over the last twinkie

Jojo

Mountain are bad. VERY bad. Too open (even forested mountains) unless you intend to make like a hobbit and happen to have a pick, a shovel, decent ability to mine and create things under ground and enough materials to make a very strong door.

Still be risky going out for water/food.

Mountains are bad.

You will reap what you've sown.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 1:07 am

in my city, Wal-Mart Supercentre groceries are much more expensive than we would see at a standard Safeway or Save-On Foods, and the quality and selection are terrible.

i try not to shop there as it feels meltdown-worthy every time i walk through the doors, but occasionally it has been necessary.

Chipshorter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: The Georgian Quarter of The Pool of Life, The Centre of The Creative Universe

18 Mar 2012, 2:28 am

Hokie cokie, so you what my option on Walmart.
I can give you a detailed option if you what as I have a business school education.

I'll give you a taster, by starting with Walmart Chile's bad taste in paying homage to Augusto Pinochet.
Last year there Chilean arm of the business put up a plaque in homage to Pinochet on the front of one of there buildings.
http://www.theclinic.cl/2011/01/03/indi ... e-walmart/ (this is in Spanish)

I know two Chileans, a political journalist & an accountant who had to take political asylum in my country to escape the human rights violations that were going under this thug's regime.

smothered
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Mar 2012, 2:45 am

We don't have Walmart in Australia, however, I do disagree with their values (the ones that I know of at least), especially how they treat their workers (both in stores and factories).

However, we also have a horrid supermarket oligopoly: Coles and Woolworths.

An Australian TV show, Hungry Beast created an interesting piece on their marketshare:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1et_HBmLYw[/youtube]

Though, I'll admit that I worked for a Coles for 4.5 years. They did pay above award rates, and penalty rates for Sundays/public holidays. Our entitlements started going to s**t when former ASDA managers were deployed on the board of directors.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 4:38 am

Chipshorter wrote:

I am aware of that fact thank you, are you aware that people working in the food supply chain have to eat as well.
Now is it fair that suppliers lose out financially all for the sake that costumers and supermarkets demanding cheaper products?

Fairness is a wonderful attribute that has nothing whatsoever to do with the workings of capitalist systems.

to his Interest."

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 12:29 pm

Embroglio wrote:
If you don't like WalMart just don't shop there. Honestly if WalMart didn't exist there would be another store that fills the same exact spot.

That was Target. I don't see why we have a Target and a Walmart almost across the street from each other in my town. And that Walmart effects my opinion of Walmart completely. The Walmart we have is down right ghetto. It's dirty, it's disgusting, the employees aren't very helpful at all, and they treat every customer as if they are going to steal. I hate getting Gift Cards to Walmart because I don't shop there regular and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Target is also nice and cheap, much cleaner, and was just remodel. I don't see the same type going into Walmart going into Target. I like Target been shopping at Target, been to Target since I was a kid.

ValentineWiggin wrote:
I won't speak for ruveyn,
but has it occurred to you that most people have to buy cheap food, or else have no food at all?

Then support somewhere else.

Tofu at a ordinary Bel Air 4 dollars plus the tax

Tofu at the Koreana Market [Asian Market] 99 cents

You don't have to go to Walmart for cheap food. There are plenty of other off brand supermarkets that sell just as cheap and cheaper. At Walmart sure the tomato sauce is 99 cents. But at the Asian Market it's 79 cents. Buy somewhere else that is cheaper. Actually do some exploring around and don't just assume Walmart is the only place with low prices.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 12:33 pm

smothered wrote:
Though, I'll admit that I worked for a Coles for 4.5 years. They did pay above award rates, and penalty rates for Sundays/public holidays. Our entitlements started going to sh** when former ASDA managers were deployed on the board of directors.

penalty rates for Sunday- I had started working for walmart in december. On sunday's I made a dollar extra an hour. If I had started working on january I wouldn't have, they got rid of that for any new employees

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 12:45 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
You don't have to go to Walmart for cheap food. There are plenty of other off brand supermarkets that sell just as cheap and cheaper. At Walmart sure the tomato sauce is 99 cents. But at the Asian Market it's 79 cents. Buy somewhere else that is cheaper. Actually do some exploring around and don't just assume Walmart is the only place with low prices.

Can you walk into an Asian Market at 3am and come out with a pair of hedge trimmers, a Chia Pet, toenail clippers, a SCSI cable, 10 yards of fruit-by-the-foot, a complete anthology of Martin Scorsese films, and a new pair of gym shorts? (probably for about 20 bucks?)

...didn't think so.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 12:10 am

scubasteve wrote:
...didn't think so.

Your point because I saw none. As I pointed as well Target serves as the same functions as Walmart. And no one shops at that 3am anyway. Well the weirdos maybe. But I also was talking about food items not really all the other items you pointed out.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 2:32 am

The store has been a major innovator in supply chain management and efficient retail. The issue is that at this point, a large number of other stores have begun to learn from Walmart. So, Walmart is now famous for its ruthless efficiency, but it actually likely isn't better than a large number of other stores at this point. I don't really care one way or the other about going there, but I don't have one close anyway, so I don't go there.