Page 4 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 12:41 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
scubasteve wrote:
...didn't think so.

Your point because I saw none. As I pointed as well Target serves as the same functions as Walmart. And no one shops at that 3am anyway. Well the weirdos maybe. But I also was talking about food items not really all the other items you pointed out.

I do a good chunk of my shopping around or well past 3 am. I'm not that weird, just a bit nocturnal.

You will reap what you've sown.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 1:11 pm

abacacus wrote:
I do a good chunk of my shopping around or well past 3 am. I'm not that weird, just a bit nocturnal.

I'm nocturnal as well. But my latest time outside is 10pm. Any later than that and I feel anxious not being at my home. I go to bed at 3am.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 2:38 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
scubasteve wrote:
...didn't think so.

Your point because I saw none. As I pointed as well Target serves as the same functions as Walmart. And no one shops at that 3am anyway. Well the weirdos maybe. But I also was talking about food items not really all the other items you pointed out.

The point I was trying to make is that it's not just the price - It's the convenience. And Target does not come close on either.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 2:43 pm

scubasteve wrote:
The point I was trying to make is that it's not just the price - It's the convenience. And Target does not come close on either.

Target is convenient at least where I live. I might not be able to buy what you listed at 3 in the morning, but I certainly can get what I need at a low price. Inexpensive and convenient compared to some places.

I also shop at Safeway with their Safeway card that keeps couponing shopping becomes very convenient and inexpensive.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 2:46 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
scubasteve wrote:

Target is convenient at least where I live. I might not be able to buy what you listed at 3 in the morning, but I certainly can get what I need at a low price. Inexpensive and convenient compared to some places.

I also shop at Safeway with their Safeway card that keeps couponing shopping becomes very convenient and inexpensive.

Compared to many places, yes, Target is cheap and convenient. Compared to Walmart, it is neither.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 2:59 pm

scubasteve wrote:
Compared to many places, yes, Target is cheap and convenient. Compared to Walmart, it is neither.

And I've already stated my peace about that. I do not shop at Walmart. Because the one where I live is dirty and I really do mean dirty. It looks like the Target before it was remodel. The Target before it was remodel had ugly floors, harsh lighting I mean really dim lighting, etc. The Walmart doesn't have dim lighting, but a lot of dirt problems, the floor is just not the prettiest thing in the world. The people there are rude. And the employees do not help you at all.

Since I always shopped at Target; Target is cheap and convenient. Because Walmart doesn't exist on my list of places to shop.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 6:52 pm

Food deserts.

An ASIAN SUPERMARKET?
LOL @ people who've never been out of the city. :lol:

to his Interest."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 6:52 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
It looks like the Target before it was remodel. The Target before it was remodel had ugly floors, harsh lighting I mean really dim lighting, etc. The Walmart doesn't have dim lighting, but a lot of dirt problems, the floor is just not the prettiest thing in the world. The people there are rude. And the employees do not help you at all.

Upper-class problems.

to his Interest."

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 8:35 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Food deserts.

An ASIAN SUPERMARKET?
LOL @ people who've never been out of the city. :lol

Upper-class problems.

I live in the middle of nowhere and have to drive at least 1hr to get to the city and even that part of the city is the ghetto, I live even farther from the nice rich part. To get to college. But I decided to make the effort at least.

Not upper-class problems, comfort level probems. I am not a big fan of dirt to begin with. And I'm also suspicious of certain people and with good reasons. I've seen some wacko things when I use to go to college. A homeless man tried to mug a woman in the parking lot and tried taking her purse from her.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 9:13 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Food deserts.

An ASIAN SUPERMARKET?

What of it? Most people live in cities and in Europe, at least, they are more likely to be the poorer ones.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 2:03 am

Pandora_Box wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Food deserts.

An ASIAN SUPERMARKET?
LOL @ people who've never been out of the city. :lol

Upper-class problems.

I live in the middle of nowhere and have to drive at least 1hr to get to the city and even that part of the city is the ghetto, I live even farther from the nice rich part. To get to college. But I decided to make the effort at least.

Not upper-class problems, comfort level probems. I am not a big fan of dirt to begin with. And I'm also suspicious of certain people and with good reasons. I've seen some wacko things when I use to go to college. A homeless man tried to mug a woman in the parking lot and tried taking her purse from her.

How nice that you live in an area where you have the option of avoiding "seeing some wacko things".
Oh wow, a HOMELESS DUDE MUGGED A LADY?
Try living in a food desert like I'm talking about, in an inner city hellhole with an annual murder rate in triple digits.

Again, upper-class problems if you're avoiding this or that food store because of the LIGHTING.

to his Interest."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 2:04 am

puddingmouse wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Food deserts.

An ASIAN SUPERMARKET?

Most people live in cities
and in Europe, at least, they are more likely to be the poorer ones.

Uhh....even if that were true,
that doesn't change that hundred mile stretches of the US have never heard of such.
In my hometown there was a Save-a-Lot, and then a Wal-Mart thirty minutes away.
And then there was no Save-a-Lot at all.
I was 20 years old before I saw a human being in real life who wasn't black or white.
Millions upon millions don't know whatcher talkin' about, in any case,
and it's those millions who statistically are Wal-Mart's bread and butter...and Chia pets.

to his Interest."

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 10:22 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
How nice that you live in an area where you have the option of avoiding "seeing some wacko things".
Oh wow, a HOMELESS DUDE MUGGED A LADY?
Try living in a food desert like I'm talking about, in an inner city hellhole with an annual murder rate in triple digits.

Again, upper-class problems if you're avoiding this or that food store because of the LIGHTING.

I'm very sensitive to lighting though. Lighting can make or break my whole field of shopping experiences. To much lighting like the one store around here is not fun. If there is to much lighting I get headaches and the usual stuff and my eyes hurt a bit. Don't just assume it's because it's because of my income that I avoid lighting. I like the Grocery Outlet, another inexpensive off brand grocery market and it's much dimmer in there than in your local Bel Air. But for the sake of my sanity and the condition of my eye sight I'd like a place where my light sensitivity isssues aren't triggered. And it goes both ways to bright and my brain feels like it's going to explode. Uneven or unequal lighting can also be a trigger for my sensitivies.

I'm hardly upper-class and I'm hardly poor. I'm right in the middle. Right now we're facing debt issues and we have a lot of money problems. And when I grocery shop I only get 100 dollars twice a week. So I have to budget quite wisely. But guess what? I do. And I don't have to shop at Walmart.

But I don't understand the term food desert.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 7:21 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
And when I grocery shop I only get 100 dollars twice a week.

Serious question:
do you honestly think $200 a WEEK is miniscule,
when entire families are living on $100 a MONTH?

to his Interest."

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 7:30 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Serious question:

Woops. I meant twice a month.

One on the 2nd. And the second one is on the 16.

And 100 dollar goes by pretty damn f*****g fast, when it isn't just used on groceries. But haircuts and shoes and other expensive items. I find grocery shopping one of the easier task because I have learned to budget wisely enough that it is only half of my check.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 7:51 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Serious question:

Woops. I meant twice a month.

One on the 2nd. And the second one is on the 16.

And 100 dollar goes by pretty damn f***ing fast, when it isn't just used on groceries. But haircuts and shoes and other expensive items. I find grocery shopping one of the easier task because I have learned to budget wisely enough that it is only half of my check.

You're describing a sort of existence that's very much out of reach for a good many people who literally live hand to mouth.
That was my point.

to his Interest."