Page 13 of 18 [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 12:51 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Again: it was an ANONYMOUS comment.

Is it OK to 'anonymously' make libellous comments in that thread?

That thread is a place for mud-slinging that you don't have the balls to do face-to-face.

Frankly I think hyperlexian is unfit for the task of moderator and needs to be deposed.

I happened to be having a conversation with hyperlexian at the time and I asked her about that comment. Unless you have a vag and tits it doesn't apply to you, Tequila

A wise administration would be sure to disregard your opinion on moderation

you gave it away.

*makes a pouty face*

i was interested to find out why he was so certain it was him.

oh, and before anyone gets all snitty about it, the gender is all that i told Vigilans.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 12:54 pm

hyperlexian wrote:

You essentially accused me of 'splitting' several times (i.e. getting very close to people and then dumping them and being horrible to them) when giving me reprimands. 'Splitting' is, as any fule kno, one of the defining characteristics of BPD. I don't have that - I fell out with people for other reasons.

Have a nice holiday in NY. I hear there's some absolutely wonderful craft beer bars there - check them out if you get chance. I'm sure you will. :)

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 12:57 pm

Tequila wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

You essentially accused me of 'splitting' several times (i.e. getting very close to people and then dumping them and being horrible to them) when giving me reprimands. 'Splitting' is, as any fule kno, one of the defining characteristics of BPD. I don't have that - I fell out with people for other reasons.

Have a nice holiday in NY. I hear there's some absolutely wonderful craft beer bars there - check them out if you get chance. I'm sure you will. :)

i've never seen the word "splitting" before. but that is only one characteristic, and a diagnosis would have to be based on more than that. do you fit the rest, then?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 12:58 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i've never seen the word "splitting" before. but that is only one characteristic, and a diagnosis would have to be based on more than that. do you fit the rest, then?

Nope.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 12:59 pm

Tequila wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

Nope.

then how could it have been directed at you?

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:06 pm

Quote:
And wouldn't you know it, we're at war with them. Do you know what happens when you're at war with someone? Generally speaking, they try to kill you, and you try to kill them. al Queda is outnumbered, outgunned, and running from any kind of major military engagement, so they're using deplorable tactics in an attempt to make the conflict end in their favor. That line of reasoning is hardly unique to them, either in history OR in the modern day and age (child soldiers in Africa, anyone?). When you go to war with a numerically inferior force that still refuses to surrender, chances are they're going to do something desperate and despicable, and we've got zero right to act surprised by it. On the other hand, the tactics used by Christian extremists in the US are by civilians, against civilians, in the name of a conflict that should have only been political and verbal, not physical. There's no comparison.

AQ declared war on the US (and the west and muslim governments), not vice versa. We then responded to their attacks. They were dispicable from day one, striking at civilian targets almost exclusively, as other jihadists had been doing for years. Even if you choose to characterize it asymetrical guerilla warfare, the correct targets would be military.

And Bin Laden's concerns in his declaration of War? The loss of Spain to christian forces in the 15th century, the defense of saudia arabia by US forces and the belief that a magical caliphate state would somehow put Islamic fortunes back on the winning side of history. That is not a reasonable view. It's a crazy person drawing with hiw own poop.

Last edited by simon_says on 21 Mar 2012, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:06 pm

hyperlexian wrote:

If I had said that I had most of the diagnostic criteria, what would you have said?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:07 pm

Tequila wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

If I had said that I had most of the diagnostic criteria, what would you have said?

you didn't answer my question. why would i think it is you if you don't fit the criteria?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:09 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
why would i think it is you if you don't fit the criteria?

I thought you were referring to someone else, who is A.N. Onymous. If I did fit the criteria, would it suddenly apply to me?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:14 pm

Tequila wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
why would i think it is you if you don't fit the criteria?

I thought you were referring to someone else, who is A.N. Onymous. If I did fit the criteria, would it suddenly apply to me?

you accused me of attacking you by posting that in the other thread. if there was no basis for it whatsoever, then why would you think it?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:21 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
if there was no basis for it whatsoever, then why would you think it?

Because I assumed that the behaviour that you claimed I exhibited (which is associated with BPD) meant that I had the disorder. Not rocket science.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:32 pm

Tequila wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
if there was no basis for it whatsoever, then why would you think it?

Because I assumed that the behaviour that you claimed I exhibited (which is associated with BPD) meant that I had the disorder. Not rocket science.

it's a huge leap because according to you there was only one criterion that you could possibly have been exhibiting. that is not logical.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:34 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
it's a huge leap because according to you there was only one criterion that you could possibly have been exhibiting. that is not logical.

It does come across as crazy if you hadn't have reprimanded me over exhibiting that very same characteristic. And 'splitting' is a defining characteristic of BPD. So I think it's not a completely unbalanced assumption to make.

I don't think this conversation is going anywhere. You're not going to convince me that you are right and you aren't going to give in. Shall we agree to disagree?

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:34 pm

I find the title of this thread to be the greatest hypocrisy of the many hypocrisies flying about.

Religions' principal hold on their various disciples are their claims to revealed truth. And yet here we have an anti-muslim engaging in the self-same practice--a recitation of fact that he takes to be revelatory of a general truth.

Is Christianity inherently less violent than Islam? I think that depends very much on your snapshot in time, and your geographical location. Christians have engaged in a wide variety of terrorist and genocidal activity. The author of this thread should be perfectly well aware of violence committed by Catholics and Protestants quite close to him. 65 years ago, the most significant terrorist activity was undertaken by Jews. One of the signficant terror hotspots of the last few decades involved violence between Hindus and Bhuddists--religions not generally known for their violence. Sikhism was the terror religion of the moment in the 1980's--not surprising, in the immediate aftermath of the storming of the Golden Temple.

So if we accept that religiously motivated violence is primarily, but not exclusively, a muslim phenomenon in this decade, why is that? I suggest to you that it has little to do with the religion of the perpetrators, and much more to do with the economic and political environment in which they find themselves. There is nothing inherently Christian in a peaceful, stable, prosperous, democratic country. Japan and Mauritius are "full democracies" on The Economist's democracy index, and neither is a majority Christian. Equatorial Guinea is 93% Christian, and is an authoritarian regime.

We should be focussing our attention not on the religious beliefs of large groups of people, but rather on the political and economic freedoms that they enjoy. The route to ending violence is peaceful empowerment.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:36 pm

visagrunt wrote:
The author of this thread should be perfectly well aware of violence committed by Catholics and Protestants quite close to him.

Ulster? That was more ethnic/racial/national violence than religious, though religion played a part amongst people who simply hated people from one community.

Last edited by Tequila on 21 Mar 2012, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:37 pm

hyperlexian wrote:

i'll summarise what i believe and conclude what i blieve in this matter. you can agree or disagree (the latter is more likely :lol: ) but i won't be coming back into the thread to argue it further.

Chicken.

How typical to try and claim the moral high ground after all your evidence has been trashed by posting an "I'm right, so there!" and flouncing off.