OMG! Dumb Laws in North Carolina Some Of Them Are Not True!

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 1:45 am

Joker wrote:
Some states are still dry counties though I am not against drinking on a sunday I do it all the time :jester:

I assume you mean you drink more than the communion wine on Sundays. I wonder if dry counties make an exception for communion wine.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 1:49 am

I by my beer on saturday and drink whats left of it the next day and yes communion wine is strong trust me it has quite the kick to it :jester:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 1:52 am

Rocky wrote:
In the 1970's Virginia had something called "Blue Laws" which outlawed the sale of many products (including alcohol) on Sundays. I don't know when or if they ever repealed those laws. I think a lot of the original states here in the US have been around so long that a lot of weird obscure laws have built up over the years.

Here in Spokane Washington and adjoining municipalities, which were born out of the Old West, only a few years ago was the law abolished that determined where you could tie your horse outside a public place.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 1:59 am

Hmm interesting law I can see why it's invalid after all it was Germany that started using and selling cars befor they became big in america :jester:

AnOldHFA
Raven
Raven

12 May 2012, 6:49 pm

I left North Carolina in 1983. I see not much has changed with laws.
South Carolina back then had some OMG laws too. Like - Camera film can not be sold on Sundays.

In Florida in 1984 it was illegal to punch a police horse.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 7:01 pm

I live in a terrible part of NC but I've traveled the state and it has some very nice cities and some great colleges imo. The worst part is the sport mania here people get between UNC-State-Duke. People get really violent over it. My family is moving to a slightly nicer college town sometime this year..thankfully. So yeah, its really not a horrible state and I like the weather when it not completely bipolar and decides to turn cold for no reason. The "good" parts are pretty progressive, though I'm pretty disappointed my state voted against gay marriage. Also people in Chapel Hill, Raleigh and the Triangle in general are f*****g as*holes, all the ones I've met, don't meant to generalize...but ugh. And no I don't live there. Don't hate my state despite some stupiid laws and political s**t.

South Carolina is much, much worse.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 7:37 pm

You'll find strange, forgotten old laws everywhere. For example, in the small Canadian city of Fredericton it is illegal to wear a snake.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 7:39 pm

You'll find strange, forgotten old laws everywhere. For example, in the small Canadian city of Fredericton it is illegal to wear a snake.

Then there are the more serious laws which have stopped being enforced and seem rather bizarre. For example, in Canada it is technically illegal for gay men to have a threesome (the law isn't phrased that way, but that is the result).

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 7:44 pm

abacacus wrote:
...yeah, I never intend to live in ANY area where a blowjob is considered a crime against nature.

I would hate to see what all things Texas considers a crime against nature.

There are dry counties here, but only a few (about 20 or 30, out of 254 counties), and nobody lives in those counties anyway.

On the flip side, Austin and Houston are very progressive (not just by Texas standards, but on par with San Francisco, NYC, etc.)

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 5:55 am

Maybe it's time to reinstate some of the blue laws. Geez, I don't see why you have to have a department store like Macy's or Sears open on a Sunday.(WalMart or Kmart don't need to be open either, except for possibly the grocery department. I can understand grocery stores, convenience store and some fine and casual dining restaurants. Fast food restaurants I never understood why they are open on Sunday. I also don't understand why most manufacturers are even operating on Sunday, let alone 24x7x365. Doesn't anyone believe in rest and relaxation anymore?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 11:12 am

Meistersinger wrote:
Maybe it's time to reinstate some of the blue laws. Geez, I don't see why you have to have a department store like Macy's or Sears open on a Sunday.(WalMart or Kmart don't need to be open either, except for possibly the grocery department. I can understand grocery stores, convenience store and some fine and casual dining restaurants. Fast food restaurants I never understood why they are open on Sunday. I also don't understand why most manufacturers are even operating on Sunday, let alone 24x7x365. Doesn't anyone believe in rest and relaxation anymore?

While I agree workers should be given time off for rest and relaxation, I don't think the intent for Blue Laws was that. Rather, it was about enforcing observation of the Sabbath - whether you wanted to or not.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 11:23 am

I remember when we had blue laws,you could not buy tools on Sunday and strangely panty hose was also off limits.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 11:38 am

Several states still have at least restrictions on the sale of alcoholic beverages on Sunday.
Hunting on Sunday is either limited or illegal in a some states.
Several states prohibit car dealerships from being open on Sunday.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 12:30 pm

We have Sunday booze now in the northern part of the state.They don't sell till 2:00.I think tourist dollars brought that change about.You used to have to cross the state line to MO to get Sunday beer,so tons of tax dollars went up there.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 1:52 pm

Joker wrote:
It is a misdemeanor to urinate or defecate publicly.
Cars may not be driven on sidewalks.
It is illegal to throw rocks at a city street.
No person shall spit on a city street.
There is to be no rollerblading during daylight hours, on the roads, or on the bricks.
Restaurants “with on sidewalk dining” must post their menu so that it is clearly readable from the sidewalk, but is not readable from the street.
It is against the law to rollerblade on a state highway.
No person may walk on top of the water tank of the city.

Those make a lot of sense though.

The spitting one may sound silly to you but you have to visit countries where this is almost a social norm to see just how bad the effect of it is not only on the city sanitation but the infrastructure.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 2:04 pm

^ Joker won't be responding. He was banned from the site years ago. Beware that this is a necroed thread.