Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 12:52 am

snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
Man he is even bugging me now and I am not even a atheist with all the new information I have learned about them I at least know what their views are but yeah he isnt making any since at all. :lol:

Explain. Don't post whore either. :)

What I mean is you can't keep saying that atheist have a need or dont need to have a opinon or belief in God most of them are aganostic they dont believe in god but dont rule out that their could be a god or diety but they reqiure evifence to support such claims you see we as religious have faith when your agnostic their is no reason to have faith because it is irrelivant and not important faith is believeing with out seeing sometihing aganostics dont do they have to have proof to believe in such things with no proof they will take the concept of god as a very little possibility of him being real.

Everyone that isn't a baby either believes in the existence of God or the nonexistence of God, and that is their belief. The only thing that differs is the reason why they believe the way they do.

I am going to use the god of the Bible for an example. There is a difference between not believing he exists and believing that he does not exist. That is the difference between strong atheism and weak atheism. A weak atheist in this case lacks a belief in this god because there is not enough evidence to believe.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 12:54 am

Rocky wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
Man he is even bugging me now and I am not even a atheist with all the new information I have learned about them I at least know what their views are but yeah he isnt making any since at all. :lol:

Explain. Don't post whore either. :)

What I mean is you can't keep saying that atheist have a need or dont need to have a opinon or belief in God most of them are aganostic they dont believe in god but dont rule out that their could be a god or diety but they reqiure evifence to support such claims you see we as religious have faith when your agnostic their is no reason to have faith because it is irrelivant and not important faith is believeing with out seeing sometihing aganostics dont do they have to have proof to believe in such things with no proof they will take the concept of god as a very little possibility of him being real.

Everyone that isn't a baby either believes in the existence of God or the nonexistence of God, and that is their belief. The only thing that differs is the reason why they believe the way they do.

I am going to use the god of the Bible for an example. There is a difference between not believing he exists and believing that he does not exist. That is the difference between strong atheism and weak atheism. A weak atheist in this case lacks a belief in this god because there is not enough evidence to believe.

I tried telling him that he just isnt listening to what people have to say.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 12:55 am

Rocky wrote:

But they still believe that the particular God does not exist, just by being exposed to the concept. Are you not in agreement with that?

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 1:03 am

snapcap wrote:
Rocky wrote:

But they still believe that the particular God does not exist, just by being exposed to the concept. Are you not in agreement with that?

The distinction is the same as guilty or not guilty in a court of law. The jury might rule the defendant not guilty if there is not enough evidence. The same distinction exists between a strong atheist and a weak one. Phrasing it the way you do clouds the issue. People hearing you say that would be led to believe that weak atheists are strong ones.

Last edited by Rocky on 02 Apr 2012, 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 1:04 am

snapcap wrote:

I don't believe that's true. Many people in my country have been raised by non-religious parents and never had any reason to waste a single thought on the subject of religion. If you ask one of them if they believe in god, they will most likely shrug and say "I don't know really. I guess religion is just not my thing".

It is entirely possible to go through life as an agnostic atheist who holds no belief one way or the other. The question if god exists only comes up if you have been indoctrinated as a kid, or if you grow up in a semi-theocracy like the USA where religion is omnipresent. Otherwise, it's about as important as the question if the yeti exists, or if a falling tree really makes a sound if no one is around to hear it.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 1:10 am

hyperlexian wrote:

Yeah. People who think that is clever do not have any idea what old freddy was trying to say.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 1:11 am

CrazyCatLord wrote:
I don't believe that's true. Many people in my country have been raised by non-religious parents and never had any reason to waste a single thought on the subject of religion. If you ask one of them if they believe in god, they will most likely shrug and say "I don't know really. I guess religion is just not my thing".

It is entirely possible to go through life as an agnostic atheist who holds no belief one way or the other. The question if god exists only comes up if you have been indoctrinated as a kid, or if you grow up in a semi-theocracy like the USA where religion is omnipresent. Otherwise, it's about as important as the question if the yeti exists, or if a falling tree really makes a sound if no one is around to hear it.

If they have nonreligious parents, then they have been able to form their belief independent of them. It doesn't matter if they are agnostic or not, they still hold a belief either way, whether it goes against their knowledge or not.

If you believe that one can have no belief in God, regardless of the fact that they've been exposed to the fact, then you could believe that a tree doesn't make a sound when it falls, regardless of whether someone hears it or not.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 1:13 am

blauSamstag wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

Yeah. People who think that is clever do not have any idea what old freddy was trying to say.

It means we are going to fill our void with non-position...apparently :P

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 1:16 am

snapcap wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:

If they have nonreligious parents, then they have been able to form their belief independent of them. It doesn't matter if they are agnostic or not, they still hold a belief either way, whether it goes against their knowledge or not.

If you believe that one can have no belief in God, regardless of the fact that they've been exposed to the fact, then you could believe that a tree doesn't make a sound when it falls, regardless of whether someone hears it or not.
What you say is not incorrect, but it invites the reader to draw conclusions which are not accurate.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 1:18 am

Rocky wrote:
snapcap wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:

What you say is not incorrect, but it invites the reader to draw conclusions which are not accurate.

Illustrate your point, otherwise it holds no water.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 1:27 am

snapcap wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

It means we are going to fill our void with non-position...apparently :P

a little more context:

Nietzsche wrote:
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?

So, in a sense, he's asking the same question that theists of the chicken little approach to atheism are asking: Without the judeo-christian god concept, what basis is there for morality?

We, at least some of us, are no longer confused creatures muddling through a wilderness of unknowable forces. Those who choose to think are awash in a sea of logic that prevents us from simply accepting the proposition of an all-powerful deity. Even those who believe are aware that they are unable to perceive their god the same way as their ancestors did.

The concerns of this crazy old german philosopher are exactly the same as the concerns of many theists.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 1:30 am

snapcap wrote:
Rocky wrote:
snapcap wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:

Did you read my previous post in this thread which draws a comparison to a jury? I think that should explain my point.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 6:37 am

snapcap wrote:
Rocky wrote:
snapcap wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:

and thats coming from you?? :?

as i said in the other thread your argument is completely senseless because you do not differentiate belief, you think the word always mean the same thing when in reality and any dictionary it will mean at least 3 usually 4 different things and all that is only the literal interpretations of the word, there is even more available as metaphor.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 8:55 am

Oodain wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Rocky wrote:
snapcap wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:

and thats coming from you?? :?

as i said in the other thread your argument is completely senseless because you do not differentiate belief, you think the word always mean the same thing when in reality and any dictionary it will mean at least 3 usually 4 different things and all that is only the literal interpretations of the word, there is even more available as metaphor.

Yeah but, in reality, when you've been exposed to a concept like a belief, you automatically choose to belief it or not, no matter how primordial your belief is. Someone's belief might be so primordial, because not much was said about the concept that they don't believe it and look as if they dismissed the whole thing right off the bat. But when it's explained to them a little further, they could still change their mind, or not.

So tell me, why I should use a different definition for belief? Even if your belief is to not believe in a God, your belief is still about God. What other object of belief is there?

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 10:53 am

it has nothing to do with redefining anything,

there are multiple defintions based on context, ie belief is not neccesarily belief and to think it is is a fallacy, there is always context , pretty far reaching ones at that.

belief as in faith is not belief as in i believe you are telling the truth for an example, one entails an absolute the other allows for a far greater range of encompassed behavior and thought,

so you can keep calling it belief but to those of us that recognize there is a difference all you are saying is that people have opinions,(of course they do but that is not to say they have an affirmed position on the question about god) not how they hold them and that, i think, matters far more, our own attitude to what we learn.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.