Page 3 of 15 [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 3:11 pm

@snapcap- You still haven't addressed my post earlier in this thread that refers to a jury. What do you have to say about that?

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2012, 6:31 pm

Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
Man he is even bugging me now and I am not even a atheist with all the new information I have learned about them I at least know what their views are but yeah he isnt making any since at all. :lol:

Explain. Don't post whore either. :)

What I mean is you can't keep saying that atheist have a need or dont need to have a opinon or belief in God most of them are aganostic they dont believe in god but dont rule out that their could be a god or diety but they reqiure evifence to support such claims you see we as religious have faith when your agnostic their is no reason to have faith because it is irrelivant and not important faith is believeing with out seeing sometihing aganostics dont do they have to have proof to believe in such things with no proof they will take the concept of god as a very little possibility of him being real.

How about, we don't believe in any of the religion gods? Does that work for you? How about I believe in a god and/or creator, but he has nothing to do with your holy book or any other part of your religion. Does that also work? Or do they mean I still believe in something that means I need to adopt the religious form of argument and can't just say exactly what I mean without being an outsider? Does those statements mean I am somehow closer to your god?

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2012, 6:35 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Everyone that isn't a baby either believes in the existence of God or the nonexistence of God, and that is their belief. The only thing that differs is the reason why they believe the way they do.

I don't believe that's true. Many people in my country have been raised by non-religious parents and never had any reason to waste a single thought on the subject of religion. If you ask one of them if they believe in god, they will most likely shrug and say "I don't know really. I guess religion is just not my thing".

It is entirely possible to go through life as an agnostic atheist who holds no belief one way or the other. The question if god exists only comes up if you have been indoctrinated as a kid, or if you grow up in a semi-theocracy like the USA where religion is omnipresent. Otherwise, it's about as important as the question if the yeti exists, or if a falling tree really makes a sound if no one is around to hear it.

Oh why oh why was I not born in Europe/Germany? My family comes from there...

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2012, 6:41 pm

snapcap wrote:
Oodain wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Rocky wrote:
snapcap wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:
I don't believe that's true. Many people in my country have been raised by non-religious parents and never had any reason to waste a single thought on the subject of religion. If you ask one of them if they believe in god, they will most likely shrug and say "I don't know really. I guess religion is just not my thing".

It is entirely possible to go through life as an agnostic atheist who holds no belief one way or the other. The question if god exists only comes up if you have been indoctrinated as a kid, or if you grow up in a semi-theocracy like the USA where religion is omnipresent. Otherwise, it's about as important as the question if the yeti exists, or if a falling tree really makes a sound if no one is around to hear it.

If they have nonreligious parents, then they have been able to form their belief independent of them. It doesn't matter if they are agnostic or not, they still hold a belief either way, whether it goes against their knowledge or not.

If you believe that one can have no belief in God, regardless of the fact that they've been exposed to the fact, then you could believe that a tree doesn't make a sound when it falls, regardless of whether someone hears it or not.
What you say is not incorrect, but it invites the reader to draw conclusions which are not accurate.

Illustrate your point, otherwise it holds no water.

and thats coming from you?? :?

as i said in the other thread your argument is completely senseless because you do not differentiate belief, you think the word always mean the same thing when in reality and any dictionary it will mean at least 3 usually 4 different things and all that is only the literal interpretations of the word, there is even more available as metaphor.

Yeah but, in reality, when you've been exposed to a concept like a belief, you automatically choose to belief it or not, no matter how primordial your belief is. Someone's belief might be so primordial, because not much was said about the concept that they don't believe it and look as if they dismissed the whole thing right off the bat. But when it's explained to them a little further, they could still change their mind, or not.

So tell me, why I should use a different definition for belief? Even if your belief is to not believe in a God, your belief is still about God. What other object of belief is there?

I don't have these problems anymore... All I had to do was understand what religion really is and it was over. I can truely say I don't believe in god. I can however say that I believe that religion is total evil and that god should never have been made by man.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 11:31 pm

Rocky wrote:

The distinction is the same as guilty or not guilty in a court of law. The jury might rule the defendant not guilty if there is not enough evidence. The same distinction exists between a strong atheist and a weak one. Phrasing it the way you do clouds the issue. People hearing you say that would be led to believe that weak atheists are strong ones.

Just seen what you said.

Well, I actually think there aren't any weak atheists. They seem to be people that are fine stating that they don't believe in God, but they don't acknowledge that they do believe that God doesn't exist. Everyone that that has been exposed to the concept must have a belief one way of the other. Atheists may have their reason for not believing in God, but believing that God doesn't exist is the same as saying you don't believe in God, so there is no difference in a weak and strong atheist.

I'm not sure I understand your analogy of not/guilty to weak/strong. I think the issue is clouded by people thinking that there is actually a real separate position to have that is somehow different from not having a belief. The only things that couldn't are babies, animals and rocks, etc. They are more atheist than you or me could ever become, without some major head trauma.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 11:56 pm

snapcap wrote:

Well, I actually think there aren't any weak atheists. They seem to be people that are fine stating that they don't believe in God, but they don't acknowledge that they do believe that God doesn't exist. Everyone that that has been exposed to the concept must have a belief one way of the other. Atheists may have their reason for not believing in God, but believing that God doesn't exist is the same as saying you don't believe in God, so there is no difference in a weak and strong atheist.

I lack belief in the assertion that there's a god.
That makes me atheist.
I also lack belief in the assertion that there is no god.
That means I'm not a strong atheist.

Believing god doesn't exist (strong atheism) necessarily means one lacks belief (atheism), but the reverse is not true.
Strong atheism is a subset of atheism, proper, which involves no affirmative beliefs.

to his Interest."

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 12:05 am

Everyone has a belief regarding the existence of God, even if they can't admit it.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 12:06 am

You can call EVERYTHING a belief. I believe my knowledge is correct that 1+1=2

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 12:08 am

Alexender wrote:
You can call EVERYTHING a belief. I believe my knowledge is correct that 1+1=2

Anything that you've been exposed to.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 12:09 am

snapcap wrote:
Everyone has a belief regarding the existence of God, even if they can't admit it.

What makes you say this?

What makes you so doubt that my relationship with all claims of god is one of skepticism,
to the point of accusing me of not being genuine?

to his Interest."

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 12:20 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
snapcap wrote:

What makes you say this?

What makes you so doubt that my relationship with all claims of god is one of skepticism,

Consider this:

You're talking to a friend and the friend asks you to consider something. The notion travels as sound which is then converted into electrical pulses which is translated in the brain into language and is considered based on past experiences, and your opinion of your friend, and after a couple seconds, you can come to a belief regarding what your friend said. You can believe it's true or false, with reason behind it. If your not sure, you may not declare your position, not because it's not there, but because you're not confident in it enough to exclaim it.

Saying that you have no belief is like saying that none of that happens in the instance you say you have a lack of belief, which makes me believe that the position of weak atheism is absurd.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 12:36 am

snapcap wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
snapcap wrote:

What makes you say this?

Consider this:

You're talking to a friend and the friend asks you to consider something. The notion travels as sound which is then converted into electrical pulses which is translated in the brain into language and is considered based on past experiences, and your opinion of your friend, and after a couple seconds, you can come to a belief regarding what your friend said. You can believe it's true or false, with reason behind it. If your not sure, you may not declare your position, not because it's not there, but because you're not confident in it enough to exclaim it.

Saying that you have no belief is like saying that none of that happens in the instance you say you have a lack of belief, which makes me believe that the position of weak atheism is absurd.

I can lack belief in the veracity of my friend's claim without being convinced yet that it is false.
How is that absurd?
Moreover, it requires no lack of confidence on my part.

to his Interest."

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 1:40 am

snapcap wrote:
Rocky wrote:

The distinction is the same as guilty or not guilty in a court of law. The jury might rule the defendant not guilty if there is not enough evidence. The same distinction exists between a strong atheist and a weak one. Phrasing it the way you do clouds the issue. People hearing you say that would be led to believe that weak atheists are strong ones.

Just seen what you said.

I'm not sure I understand your analogy of not/guilty to weak/strong. I think the issue is clouded by people thinking that there is actually a real separate position to have that is somehow different from not having a belief. The only things that couldn't are babies, animals and rocks, etc. They are more atheist than you or me could ever become, without some major head trauma.

Here is a clarification: There is a difference between "Not Guilty" and "Innocent."

Here is a better way to make my point: The accused is "innocent unless proven guilty" and I will be a weak atheist until the existence of a god is proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Only then will I become a "Believer."

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 6:00 am

snapcap wrote:
Just seen what you said.

Quote:

Snapcap, I think the reason people are not getting through to you is twofold.

First, you seem to be unable to lack a belief yourself. You are making the case that because you personally don't think like other people are claiming to think, that they must be lying. What you have utterly failed to realize is that they in fact are demonstrating a way of thinking you have not yet discovered.

I understand how that might be confusing for you, but I assure you the ability to hold no belief, either way, is a very real possibility. I know this with certainty because I hold no belief either way on a grand multitude of issues. I am comfortable saying "I don't believe", "I don't know", "I'm not sure" and "I'm uncertain"...and I know the subtle differences between what each of those words mean! I know very clearly the difference between "I believe", "I don't believe" and "I believe not".

As I said, you don't seem to be able to do that...and that is fine. No one is saying you have to lack beliefs, you can be a black or white thinker all you like. You can think in yeses and nos to your hearts content. But that doesn't mean other people have to, just because you do!!

Second, and this may be a bit insulting, but I really am not trying to be, so please excuse any roughness that follows... You have some serious audacity. The sheer arrogance of your position is sickening. You are taking the stance that everyone else is lying, being dishonest, because you simply don't understand thier answer? It has been explained to you many times now, that people are capable of not holding a position either way, people are capable of not having a belief, and yet you still continue claiming that it isn't true...and you have the arrogance to think you actually know what someone else is thinking, or what someone else is capable of thinking? You feel you have the authority to dismiss other peoples thoughts as not even frigging possible to have????

I urge you to reevaluate what you are claiming here about this. Explore the possibility that maybe, just maybe, people are being genuine and honest. That the majority of the whole multitude of atheists in the world might actually know what they are saying when they claim what they "don't believe".

1) I believe there is god
2) I do not believe there is a god
3) I believe there is not a god

Each one of those means something different. It's not a problem if you don't understand what #2 actually means. But stop claiming that other people don't....because I assure you they very much do.

Edit/PS;

Quote:
If you believe that one can have no belief in God, regardless of the fact that they've been exposed to the fact, then you could believe that a tree doesn't make a sound when it falls, regardless of whether someone hears it or not.

I can believe a tree makes no sound if no one is there to hear it. In fact, I would urge everyone to believe that, because it is true...lol.

A tree makes vibrations in matter if it falls and no one is there to hear it, sure. But those vibrations are not actually sounds unless they are converted by an observer into a sense perception...

dizzywater
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2012, 7:31 am

NarcissusSavage wrote:
A tree makes vibrations in matter if it falls and no one is there to hear it, sure. But those vibrations are not actually sounds unless they are converted by an observer into a sense perception...

"Sound is a mechanical wave that is an oscillation of pressure transmitted through a solid, liquid, or gas, composed of frequencies within the range of hearing and of a level sufficiently strong to be heard, or the sensation stimulated in organs of hearing by such vibrations."

Sound must therefore bear the capability of being heard regardless of whether an organism is present. The problem comes in the phrase "of a level sufficiently strong to be heard". Does that mean it must be stong enough to be heard across any distance to the nearest organism, or just must be of a strength that is possible to hear if you happen to be there.

What if you put a recording device beside it & listened to it later like scientists do with very tiny "inaudible sounds". I realise you aren't listening to the original sound if it is a playback, but it must prove the original sound occurred.

Otherwise I agree with NarcissusSavage.

I am more curious about why people believe religions and what they believe than I am in the actual existance or not or the objects of their fear or devotion.

I have never really considered adopting their beliefs or denying the possibility.

I told my kids there was a Santa after all, (I felt uncomfortable about that, but its still taboo not to, like the last remanent of compulsory religion).

Just because you are exposed to an idea does not mean you must have a definate opinion on it. I have also been exposed to the idea of "Carlsburg, probably the best lager in the world" I never went on to form a firm opinion about that either.

Just because the religious people think it is a life or death decision that cannot be avoided, doen't mean anyone else has to agree about its importance.

Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 9:11 am

snapcap wrote:
But they still believe that the particular God does not exist, just by being exposed to the concept. Are you not in agreement with that?

Wrong. What concept of 'god'? The 'theists' are just uttering nonsense and deluding themselves to think 'god' mean something.