Page 4 of 15 [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 9:24 am

01001011 wrote:
snapcap wrote:
But they still believe that the particular God does not exist, just by being exposed to the concept. Are you not in agreement with that?

Wrong. What concept of 'god'? The 'theists' are just uttering nonsense and deluding themselves to think 'god' mean something.

this also portrays quite a good deal of the issue,

not to diminish the excellent post by NarcissusSavage

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 9:32 am

artrat wrote:
God is dead.

This has got to be one of the most epic memes I've encountered. :lol:

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 10:47 am

Rocky wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Rocky wrote:

The distinction is the same as guilty or not guilty in a court of law. The jury might rule the defendant not guilty if there is not enough evidence. The same distinction exists between a strong atheist and a weak one. Phrasing it the way you do clouds the issue. People hearing you say that would be led to believe that weak atheists are strong ones.

Just seen what you said.

Well, I actually think there aren't any weak atheists. They seem to be people that are fine stating that they don't believe in God, but they don't acknowledge that they do believe that God doesn't exist. Everyone that that has been exposed to the concept must have a belief one way of the other. Atheists may have their reason for not believing in God, but believing that God doesn't exist is the same as saying you don't believe in God, so there is no difference in a weak and strong atheist.

I'm not sure I understand your analogy of not/guilty to weak/strong. I think the issue is clouded by people thinking that there is actually a real separate position to have that is somehow different from not having a belief. The only things that couldn't are babies, animals and rocks, etc. They are more atheist than you or me could ever become, without some major head trauma.

Here is a clarification: There is a difference between "Not Guilty" and "Innocent."

Here is a better way to make my point: The accused is "innocent unless proven guilty" and I will be a weak atheist until the existence of a god is proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Only then will I become a "Believer."

That's just your reason for being an atheist. There's no weak or strong. Every atheist has their reason for their beliefs, just like people that believe in God have their own reasons for believing.

I think I understand what you're trying to get at with the verdicts, but I don't think it's a good analogy to belief/disbelief. Courts conduct their cases on hard evidence. Hard evidence isn't required to reach a belief, which is the case for atheism and theism.

In a court case and the jury is skeptical enough to grant a "not guilty" charge, that just means that they don't feel like they can charge the defendant with a crime according to how the court system should be ran. Their skepticism in the evidence to convict the defendant means they are unsure enough to not reach a guilty verdict. And that's a good rule to go by, as far as the court system goes. You don't want people simply being convicted because everyone has a slight inclination that the defendant is guilty.

Regardless, each individual person can still hold their individual belief in the case, no matter how ambiguous it might seem.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 11:20 am

snapcap wrote:

Regardless, each individual person can still hold their individual belief in the case, no matter how ambiguous it might seem.

There's nothing remotely ambiguous about flat-out NOT BELIEVING in either god's existence or non-existence.

It's not an issue of "confidence", "ambiguity", or being "unsure".

It's simply skepticism of both propositions.

I agree with NSavage- you seem to be making proclamations about what everyone else believes
based on your own inability to have a LACK OF belief about something.

to his Interest."

Last edited by ValentineWiggin on 03 Apr 2012, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 11:21 am

NarcissusSavage wrote:

Snapcap, I think the reason people are not getting through to you is twofold.

What you have utterly failed to realize is that they in fact are demonstrating a way of thinking you have not yet discovered.

"I don't believe in God and that is my non-position"

I refuse to believe that is true. Call me crazy.

If your mom was marooned on some primitive island far from human contact and she died while you were still an infant, and you were accepted by and raised by wolves, I could see how that is true, but you wouldn't be the one saying it about yourself.

Quote:
I understand how that might be confusing for you, but I assure you the ability to hold no belief, either way, is a very real possibility.

If I told you about a notion, then you could potential be the same before I told you about the notion. That's just not true. You could also say that everything could potentially not effect you one way or the other. This is not true. It would be like you have a shield around yourself that shields you from reality. Of course this isn't true either. And if someone believed in that, well, that's magically thinking.

Quote:
I know this with certainty because I hold no belief either way on a grand multitude of issues. I am comfortable saying "I don't believe", "I don't know", "I'm not sure" and "I'm uncertain"...and I know the subtle differences between what each of those words mean! I know very clearly the difference between "I believe", "I don't believe" and "I believe not".

You have a belief, but you're right, you probably don't know, but you still have a belief. You're not as neutral as you think. It's there, even in a relatively undeveloped form. You don't have a shield that deflects notions, like you were never exposed to them.

Quote:
As I said, you don't seem to be able to do that...and that is fine. No one is saying you have to lack beliefs, you can be a black or white thinker all you like. You can think in yeses and nos to your hearts content. But that doesn't mean other people have to, just because you do!!

I don't want to do that. I can grasp what you're saying, but I don't think it's reality. You aren't equipped with psychic shields that reflect notions and concepts for you to not consider.

People believe in God or they don't, and there is a multitude of reasons why they hold their position. It's not really black and white at all.

I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. My initial question was to get someone to elucidate me on how some atheists can claim that they have no belief regarding the existence of God. And just as I suspected, the question couldn't be satisfied, so now I'm going to say why it is an absurd thing to think.

Quote:
Second, and this may be a bit insulting, but I really am not trying to be, so please excuse any roughness that follows... You have some serious audacity. The sheer arrogance of your position is sickening. You are taking the stance that everyone else is lying, being dishonest, because you simply don't understand thier answer?

Maybe they aren't lying, they could be misguided, they might not have considered what they are saying enough...or maybe they actually do think they are equipped with psychic shields that nullify the force exerted on people through notions. 8)

Quote:
It has been explained to you many times now, that people are capable of not holding a position either way, people are capable of not having a belief, and yet you still continue claiming that it isn't true...

Sure it's possible, but the possibility greatly decreases as you grow up.

Quote:
and you have the arrogance to think you actually know what someone else is thinking, or what someone else is capable of thinking? You feel you have the authority to dismiss other peoples thoughts as not even frigging possible to have????

People can think of just about anything. I did have a thread about that. But just because you can think of it doesn't necessarily means it's possible.

I'm not claiming to be any kind of authority. I'm just exposing an idea I feel is absurd, and I've said a lot about the absurdity of it, without much as far as substance to say I'm not right, so I take it I must be on to something.

Quote:
I urge you to reevaluate what you are claiming here about this.

I urge you to consider what I'm saying a little bit more.

Quote:
Explore the possibility that maybe, just maybe, people are being genuine and honest.

I don't belief that a true non-position is obtainable. Telling you a notion is the same as not telling you a notion.

I really don't think so.

Quote:
That the majority of the whole multitude of atheists in the world might actually know what they are saying when they claim what they "don't believe".

1) I believe there is god
2) I do not believe there is a god
3) I believe there is not a god

Each one of those means something different. It's not a problem if you don't understand what #2 actually means. But stop claiming that other people don't....because I assure you they very much do.

3) I do not believe there is a god

That doesn't presume that you also don't believe that God doesn't exist.

2=3

Quote:
Edit/PS;

I can believe a tree makes no sound if no one is there to hear it. In fact, I would urge everyone to believe that, because it is true...lol.

A tree makes vibrations in matter if it falls and no one is there to hear it, sure. But those vibrations are not actually sounds unless they are converted by an observer into a sense perception...

The question is more of a metaphysical question. If you don't answer it in that way, then you didn't really even answer it.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 11:25 am

snapcap wrote:
Quote:

Each one of those means something different. It's not a problem if you don't understand what #2 actually means. But stop claiming that other people don't....because I assure you they very much do.

2=3

Nope. 3 INCLUDES 2. 2 does NOT include 3. And that is the distinction you have trouble making.

Snapcap, what forms the basis of your continued claim that
everyone has a positive belief about every idea they're presented with?

to his Interest."

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 11:27 am

I always imagined you to be the spiritual type artrat.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 11:28 am

All snapcap is saying is that everything is a belief. Your nonbelief is your belief. Discussion over

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 11:31 am

Alexender wrote:
All snapcap is saying is that everything is a belief. Your nonbelief is your belief. Discussion over

Right and
not playing the violin is a talent
bald is a hair color
off is a TV channel

to his Interest."

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 11:34 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Alexender wrote:

Right and
bald is a hair color
off is a TV channel

Actually, those are things can be validated. They aren't beliefs, although there is nothing to stop someone from believing it. Not my fault if you get picked on for them. :salut:

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 11:38 am

Alexender wrote:

but saying that is as meaningless and inane as saying we are all human,

he may be correct but as a point or an argument it is literally nothing, at all.

so sure that may be his position but if so why spend time discussing it, i dont think it is, he claimed multiple times that he doesnt believe there exists weak atheism,.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 11:39 am

snapcap wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Alexender wrote:

Right and
bald is a hair color
off is a TV channel

Actually, those are things can be validated. They aren't beliefs, although there is nothing to stop someone from believing it. Not my fault if you get picked on for them. :salut:

you should read her above post instead of replying to the one using metaphor.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 11:42 am

He's making declarations about what others can and cannot believe,
despite several people, representative of millions more,
who are flatly telling him YES, I have skepticism where you proclaim I cannot be skeptical.

I, myself, find it impossible to empathize with people who have non-deductive thought processes-
whether I agree with the conclusions or not, I can communicate about ideas with them because we have the same processing framework.
Any other frameworks, and I'm utterly lost and discussion is next to impossible because we're speaking different languages.

Does that mean I baldly assert that everyone MUST think the way I do, even if they won't admit it, that they're just "unconfident" about thinking that way, or their feelings are "ambiguous"?
No. That's stupid. They think differently than I do, and to attempt to objectively define their reality by my subjective one is lulzy.

to his Interest."

Last edited by ValentineWiggin on 03 Apr 2012, 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 11:42 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Quote:

2=3

Nope. 3 INCLUDES 2. 2 does NOT include 3. And that is the distinction you have trouble making.

Snapcap, what forms the basis of your continued claim that
everyone has a positive belief about every idea they're presented with?

On paper, that may be true, but not in people's heads. It's a junk notion.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 11:44 am

snapcap wrote:

On paper, that may be true, but not in people's heads. It's a junk notion.

It's true in my head.

What say you to that?

to his Interest."

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 11:46 am

Interesting statement

ValentineWiggin wrote:
He's making declarations about what others can and cannot believe,
despite several people, representative of millions more,
who are flatly telling him YES, I have skepticism where you proclaim I cannot be skeptical.

You believe that I'm telling people what they can and cannot believe. I'm going to presume that it's safe to say that you believe in your belief that you have a non-position.

Well, I'm not sure if that is what an atheist is. Seem kind of contradicting.

"He is making statements that tell people that they can't believe that they have no belief."

Interesting.

Last edited by snapcap on 03 Apr 2012, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.