Page 14 of 15 [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 2:21 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Yay, another word-game debate!

Also, let's see who can get to Hell faster! :D 1... 2... 3... GO!!

A race to a nonexistent place? Kewl

I challenge Vigilans to race me to a nonexistent place to Asgard we go.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 2:47 pm

Joker wrote:
Fick Fick FIck Fick Fick Snapcap what does it matter honestly?

Then concede the point, if it doesn't matter.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 2:48 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Joker wrote:

I would if I could have the last word.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 3:17 pm

Joker wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Joker wrote:

Not going to happen. snapcap knows more about atheists than they know about themselves!

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 3:29 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Joker wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Joker wrote:

Not going to happen. snapcap knows more about atheists than they know about themselves!

I know he must have the power to read minds :lol:

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 6:19 pm

@artrat:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAyXzC7iKPA[/youtube]

Congratulations on becoming an atheist! It is just basically a loose word, and the views among atheists vary greatly, like Ayn Rand, George Orwell, Richard Dawkins, Bill Maher, Christopher Hitchens, etc. Hopefully you can make your own worldview from your experiences instead of being confined to a book or whatnot written by people who could only describe the area around them instead of the whole world, and write only in the words they can understand...or whatever...

#################################

(Uploads avatar and attaches sig)

Ragtime wrote:

Of course, you would know all about thread races since you run from one whenever someone makes a point that beats your argument, and possibly make a similar thread in its wake. I thought you left PPR because WP was too tolerant of homosexuals? You would think when mikecartwright's threads got locked you might get the hint it still is like that, but oh well. The fact you complain about the moderators being even TOUGHER than before you left is laughable since you still post here.

I'd run to hell faster if I knew you were going to be in Heaven. If you were getting into Heaven, that means everyone I know and liked would not be there. when I die and if I am wrong, I will ask your God for a sword and shield to fight demons in the Underworld. The rest of the people I know are Catholic, and since you think they practice Devil Magic they are not getting there either (do the other theists know about that bias?). That is PPR Christian Tolerance for you right there: Liberals, Catholics, Muslims, homosexuals, and atheists don't count. Think about the majority of people who have made this argument to tell people to tolerate their Christian beliefs, then read the previous sentence again. At least one of these groups is not tolerated by the person who wants the respect.

###############################################

snapcap wrote:
Fine with me, as long as you don't say you lack a belief in the existence of God.

The most astonishing part of this is not that you cannot grasp simple logic and reasoning to listen to others and change your mind about something when you are obviously wrong with that Chernobyl fail there. It is the fact that for some 10 pages people didn't realize you were a 9/11 Truther and a major conspiracy theorist, and I could have predicted this happening when you first made this statement. This comment should have died and not been responded to. So now you polluted the thread and ruined it like a couple other threads. Any view you have is to be ignored and not questioned, since discussion is not an option with you.

It's quite a shame you spent so much time and effort into making this statement, because I really hope people just don't talk about this with you anymore since the best way to fight a vampire is to shine light on it. It is valid; you sucked the life out of the thread with your ramblings. There was absolutely nothing that would have changed your mind, and you can keep doing this for another 10 pages if this keeps up. So I am attempting to put the brakes on this, because this is meaningless right now after 10+ pages.

I'm done now.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 6:27 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:
@artrat:

Congratulations on becoming an atheist! It is just basically a loose word, and the views among atheists vary greatly, like Ayn Rand, George Orwell, Richard Dawkins, Bill Maher, Christopher Hitchens, etc. Hopefully you can make your own worldview from your experiences instead of being confined to a book or whatnot written by people who could only describe the area around them instead of the whole world, and write only in the words they can understand...or whatever...

Ragtime wrote:

Of course, you would know all about thread races since you run from one whenever someone makes a point that beats your argument, and possibly make a similar thread in its wake. I thought you left PPR because WP was too tolerant of homosexuals? You would think when mikecartwright's threads got locked you might get the hint it still is like that, but oh well. The fact you complain about the moderators being even TOUGHER than before you left is laughable since you still post here.

I'd run to hell faster if I knew you were going to be in Heaven. If you were getting into Heaven, that means everyone I know and liked would not be there. when I die and if I am wrong, I will ask your God for a sword and shield to fight demons in the Underworld. The rest of the people I know are Catholic, and since you think they practice Devil Magic they are not getting there either (do the other theists know about that bias?). That is PPR Christian Tolerance for you right there: Liberals, Catholics, Muslims, homosexuals, and atheists don't count. Think about the majority of people who have made this argument to tell people to tolerate their Christian beliefs, then read the previous sentence again. At least one of these groups is not tolerated by the person who wants the respect.

snapcap wrote:
Fine with me, as long as you don't say you lack a belief in the existence of God.

The most astonishing part of this is not that you cannot grasp simple logic and reasoning to listen to others and change your mind about something when you are obviously wrong with that Chernobyl fail there. It is the fact that for some 10 pages people didn't realize you were a 9/11 Truther and a major conspiracy theorist, and I could have predicted this happening when you first made this statement. This comment should have died and not been responded to. So now you polluted the thread and ruined it like a couple other threads. Any view you have is to be ignored and not questioned, since discussion is not an option with you.

It's quite a shame you spent so much time and effort into making this statement, because I really hope people just don't talk about this with you anymore since the best way to fight a vampire is to shine light on it. It is valid; you sucked the life out of the thread with your ramblings. There was absolutely nothing that would have changed your mind, and you can keep doing this for another 10 pages if this keeps up. So I am attempting to put the brakes on this, because this is meaningless right now after 10+ pages.

I'm done now.

snapcap a truther? It all makes sense now!! !

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 9:48 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:
@artrat:

Ragtime wrote:

snapcap wrote:

I'm done now.

I have to agree with Herrgrimm atheists just like the religious community have diffrent views on things.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 8:50 am

snapcap wrote:
NarcissusSavage wrote:
But to completely dismiss other peoples thoughts and condemn their position as impossible to have is arrogance, it is ignorant and insulting. You might not like that someone holds a position that you can’t wrap your head around, I get that. Sometimes I get frustrated by "true believers", I know what that is like. But I never tell them they don't actually believe because in my mind that kind of belief isn't possible. I never make the claim that no one is capable of believing something without evidence, because I cannot believe something without evidence.

It's arrogant and ignorant to claim that you have some supernatural powers that allow you to separate yourself from reality, like things can't effect you even in the slightest.

You believe God to be non-existent because there is a lack of evidence for you to consider it to be true. Empiricism is the doctrine of your beliefs.

The underlined is libel. Do it again and I will report you to a moderator.

I am actually claiming to lack a capability. I am not capable of believing without sufficient evidence. For me, there is not sufficient evidence to believe there is a god. Similarly, there is not sufficient evidence to believe there is not a god. So I have no belief regarding the existence or non existence of a god. Thus I lack a god belief.

Moreover I don’t see sufficient evidence to believe the word “god” even has a coherent concept behind it. Thus I have a lack of belief that the word is useful to describe something (real, or imagined).

So you may claim that I have been exposed to the concept of god… I have, as of yet, not been exposed to one that I believe is intelligible or coherent to even parse as a concept to even consider as something that could have evidence for or against its existence to even begin forming a belief.

I find the word to be as unintelligible and am just as unable to process the word as I am able to ascribe meaning to “ku;gbreouigboaie”, “gggggggllllllllllwwedyt” or even “mrzthjjjklee ;,///jlllts”. To me, the only difference is that the string of letters in “god” is shorter, numbering only 3…and if rearranged spell “dog”. “Dog” is a word I can process, I can ascribe meaning to this word, and I have a belief in the existence in the concept of a “dog”. But an “Odg”, “Ogd”, “Gdo” or “Dgo”, on the other hand… no clue, these are as senseless a string of the same 3 letters as is “God” to me…

Even if you want to expose me to the idea of a “Gdo” for example. And you describe it to me, and explain it…if what you describe is incoherent, I will not accept that description, and reject it whole cloth as unintelligible babbling. Like the following;

A Gdo is non distilling self grinding force of impassive light entities passing silently through ground waters, while forging twilight interrupted by soft greenness in orange moments of quickly accelerating ribbons of splendor. And this Gdo holds true in dark sources of splendor ribbons accelerating quickly. Yet Gdo does love you.

snapcap wrote:
NarcissusSavage wrote:

Exactly this!

I think that's why I am getting a little worked up about this conversation. Denying someone's experience is just not ok to me. It is one of the few things that will get under my skin... I suppose I need to work on not allowing it to affect me. But in the mean time, I try to speak out against it. Whatever form it comes in.

Saying that you don't have a position regarding something that was explained to you is like not having it told to you at all.

I maintain that “god” has not be explained coherently and meaningfully, and thus has not been explained to me. So I have no belief regarding it, as I cannot form a belief about a non-concept. I only get an error message instead.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 4:43 pm

snapcap wrote:
Do you know what I have for breakfast?

Atheists.

I eat atheists for breakfast LOL

Just the weak ones.

I wonder if anyone is going to notice that I dumped a bunch of atheists into the lake the other day? 8O

guess he had a few to many… he probably choked on them. to greedy.

Holinyx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2012, 11:09 am

I was a Catholic alter boy for 10 years. 1982-1992. I remember hanging out at the rectory (where a priest lives, next to the church) hmm probably around 1988, this guy had a 50+ inch tv, pool table, his own maid/cook. He drove a fairly new cadillac. i remember thinking, man i want to be a priest, those guys are rich! fast forward 25 years. our new priest, been here maybe 4 years, just paid $375,000 for a water fountain in the front of the church. He just tore down an older building on church property to make way for a new house for himself. maybe this is needed, maybe not. the point i'm trying to make is that the Catholic Church is super loaded mega rich. I'm not saying anything new here, we all know this to be the case. I do not see anyone helping the "poor" around here. I don't see the priest acting "Pious"

Even before the hilarious meme's about athiesm, i knew that religion was a joke. I find myself thinking about the Comedian in Watchmen...."it's a joke, it's all just a big joke" Its the greatest coverup in human history (borrowed that from Davinci Code) Man, in the name of God, is playing a hoax on everyone. I feel like i'm in the Matrix and i just woke up. I want to wake everyone up but i know that would destroy the matrix. People can't handle it. They have to decide for themselves to wake up.

Take away the Bible and religious people have absolutely nothing to fall back on. They always fall back on the bible; god said this...god said that. blah blah. and i'm like...no he didn't, the bible was written 1500 years after jesus died. I do believe a prophet named Jesus was alive in that time period and he probably did alot of good for people in need. But the Miracles?...the Flood?...Creation?...c'mon. how can anyone believe any of that?

I do not condemn religious people. If they believe in the bible 100% and it helps them to enrich their lives, hey, more power to them. What i can't stand, is those freak religious people with signs and megaphones spewing their nonsense for the world to hear when alot of us don't want it or need it. I certainly don't like them bashing Gay people either. I thought jesus preached Tolerance and Love?
I guess not. It's not the idea of religion that i have a problem with, it's all the stupid people who use Jesus as an excuse to act like Hitler. Yes, Westboro Baptist i'm talking about YOU. I certainly hope all those people burn in hell. or forced to listen to Justin Bieber forever. whichever is worse. :lol:

Jesus will never walk the earth again. if he exists and is looking down right now....you think he would want to? i'd be like....omg...i'm not going down there! those people are crazy ! !

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 11:53 am

Rocky wrote:
@snapcap:
I believe it is impossible to change your mind about this. You should write a book about this. Correcting the rest of the world about this should sell a lot of books. That is, if you can convince any publisher that your position has any merit.

I don't think it's impossible, but I'm not going to change my view as long as the only thing that people have to say is, "I don't think that." Then I'd have to believe everyone that says that they know God.

Writing about it isn't a bad idea, but I couldn't write a book on just that simple of a notion. It would just be a book bashing people on their belief, and I couldn't author something like that. Maybe it would be good for a blog. I could see it as part of a premise for something bigger, in a book form. I have some ideas, but I need to do some more research. Who knows? It may have been covered already.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 12:00 pm

blunnet wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Exactly, they have no choice but to be biased. Neutrality is impossible. They either believe or believe not, in various degrees, based on their personal experiences, reasoning and evidence.

well, with the problem of cognitive bias and cognitive dissonance, it appears that complete neutrality may be unlikely, and likely impossible on a personal level. Considering that experience and lack of experience does seem to contribute, even if some claim pure reason behind it, I give you that.

Thanks. I really do think its absurd to act like a notion can't effect someone to come to some belief about it. It's only natural and to deny it is basically saying that you live in unnatural circumstances.

Quote:
But I can say we can still make distinctions between philosophical positions and personal positions, between epistemology and personal positions, and so on.

For example, skepticism is a neutral position, however some adeherents to skepticism wouldn't actually be neutral.

Your right, there are. When someone says that they believe in God, they aren't inventing the notion of God, but there's a pretty good chance that their personal views of the notion are unique. If someone says they don't believe in God, they have their unique reasons as to why they don't.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 12:03 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Joker wrote:

No one has to concede to anything. I'd rather someone come up with something to say other than, " You are not correct because it doesn't describe my experience."

Your experience denies causality. I need something else to sink LOL

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 12:04 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:

I'm done now.

Hi.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 1:28 pm

snapcap wrote:
Rocky wrote:
@snapcap:
I believe it is impossible to change your mind about this. You should write a book about this. Correcting the rest of the world about this should sell a lot of books. That is, if you can convince any publisher that your position has any merit.

I don't think it's impossible, but I'm not going to change my view as long as the only thing that people have to say is, "I don't think that." Then I'd have to believe everyone that says that they know God.

Writing about it isn't a bad idea, but I couldn't write a book on just that simple of a notion. It would just be a book bashing people on their belief, and I couldn't author something like that. Maybe it would be good for a blog. I could see it as part of a premise for something bigger, in a book form. I have some ideas, but I need to do some more research. Who knows? It may have been covered already.

I wasn't serious about this.