Page 5 of 10 [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 12:07 pm

"Christianity was not responsible for all of the atrocities done in its name, because all of those people were fake Christians!! !" -Christians hundreds of years later

I'm betting a few hundred years from now, a great deal of Christians will say the same thing about the Christians of this time

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 12:15 pm

Vigilans wrote:
"Christianity was not responsible for all of the atrocities done in its name, because all of those people were fake Christians!! !" -Christians hundreds of years later

I'm betting a few hundred years from now, a great deal of Christians will say the same thing about the Christians of this time

No True Scotsman could disagree with you.

ruveyn

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 12:35 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
If anyone here thinks Jesus is unloving, remember that He healed the sick, the lame, the blind, and the deaf -- and even raised Lazarus from the dead. There is no love without truth, so He was both loving and bluntly truthful. I think I'd listen to a blunt man, if he had just restored the eyesight which I never had since I was born! That would make me want to pay attention to what he has to say.

It is true Christ was blunt when it comes to condemning sin and hypocrisy - but most of his criticism was leveled at the Pharisees, who, with all their legalism and their readiness to level judgement, were the religious right of his day. The people who Jesus courted with forgiveness the most were the people who the religious right today wouldn't even allow to step into their churches today.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Gee, I was talking about God; I didn't know I was talking modern politics. :roll: "Ya, you're right, Jesus was really loving, and people shouldn't think He's mean" would have been more relevant. I'm conservative, and you can take swipes at that all you want, but do it in response to a post or topic about politics.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 12:45 pm

Vigilans wrote:

You'd make a great point here -- if there were no manual people could reference on how to be a Christian.

Jesus: "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." (Matt 5:44)

Jesus' doctrines are in a Book that virtually everyone has access to, so being wilfully blind as to what a Christian is, and then assuming that only the most evil of the those in all of history who called themselves "Christians" were the real Christians, is obviously a total intentional bias aimed at a pre-determined conclusion. You get out of analysis what you put into it. If you want to see Christians as evil, you will, even when Jesus said His true followers love everyone and behave very well indeed.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 12:48 pm

I have never once said that only the "most evil" were real Christians. The "No True Scotsman Fallacy" does not work on people who know history

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 12:55 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
If anyone here thinks Jesus is unloving, remember that He healed the sick, the lame, the blind, and the deaf -- and even raised Lazarus from the dead. There is no love without truth, so He was both loving and bluntly truthful. I think I'd listen to a blunt man, if he had just restored the eyesight which I never had since I was born! That would make me want to pay attention to what he has to say.

It is true Christ was blunt when it comes to condemning sin and hypocrisy - but most of his criticism was leveled at the Pharisees, who, with all their legalism and their readiness to level judgement, were the religious right of his day. The people who Jesus courted with forgiveness the most were the people who the religious right today wouldn't even allow to step into their churches today.

Gee, I was talking about God; I didn't know I was talking modern politics. :roll: "Ya, you're right, Jesus was really loving, and people shouldn't think He's mean" would have been more relevant. I'm conservative, and you can take swipes at that all you want, but do it in response to a post or topic about politics.

No, I was talking about Jesus and how parallels can be drawn with his time and today. That Jesus was critical of the Pharisees is indisputable. That the Pharisees were the legalists of his day is also indisputable. I will even concede that Jesus was equally hard on the Sadducees, who corresponded with liberal modernism in modern Christianity.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 1:07 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

No, I was talking about Jesus and how parallels can be drawn with his time and today. That Jesus was critical of the Pharisees is indisputable. That the Pharisees were the legalists of his day is also indisputable. I will even concede that Jesus was equally hard on the Sadducees, who corresponded with liberal modernism in modern Christianity.

Okay, I see. And it wasn't that the Pharisees were right-wingers that Jesus had a problem with, it was that their personal practices were hypocritical -- disfiguring their faces to appear to have been fasting longer than they had, making long prayers on streetcorners just to be seen by the people, and sending forth people before them to make noise and get attention whenever they were going to give to charity simply to be seen by lots of people. They also made up different and Bible-contrary laws for the people to follow, which Jesus called them out on because they were, in that capacity, contradicting God who gave those laws. They weren't who they claimed to be, and that was what really irritated Jesus. If they had actually lived up to the ultra-conservative positions that they officially held, Jesus would simply have let them know that an age of Grace was coming, and that, very soon, they wouldn't need to be legalistic in keeping the technicals of the law, but, rather, God would "write [His] law in their hearts", as Jeremiah wrote, and righteousness would naturally flow outward from the heart. Jesus taught people that, whether under the Old Covenant or the New, righteousness starts in the heart, and cannot be produced by the good deeds of a hard-hearted man.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 1:25 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

Okay, I see. And it wasn't that the Pharisees were right-wingers that Jesus had a problem with, it was that their personal practices were hypocritical -- disfiguring their faces to appear to have been fasting longer than they had, making long prayers on streetcorners just to be seen by the people, and sending forth people before them to make noise and get attention whenever they were going to give to charity simply to be seen by lots of people. They also made up different and Bible-contrary laws for the people to follow, which Jesus called them out on because they were, in that capacity, contradicting God who gave those laws. They weren't who they claimed to be, and that was what really irritated Jesus. If they had actually lived up to the ultra-conservative positions that they officially held, Jesus would simply have let them know that an age of Grace was coming, and that, very soon, they wouldn't need to be legalistic in keeping the technicals of the law, but, rather, God would "write [His] law in their hearts", as Jeremiah wrote, and righteousness would naturally flow outward from the heart. Jesus taught people that, whether under the Old Covenant or the New, righteousness starts in the heart, and cannot be produced by the good deeds of a hard-hearted man.

Personally, I think Christ had rejected the religious right and left of his day, as both came up short of his message. In regard to the Pharisees in particular, I think he was critical of both their hypocrisy, and their legalism which the common people could never live up to.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 1:25 pm

01001011 wrote:
Really, do you expect any bible quotation to hold any water when arguing with anyone who dismisses your magic book?

Only if the book contains remarkable wisdom, and tells accurate and deeply-insightful things about the world, human nature, and the future. The degree of Jesus' of wisdom found in the Gospels cannot not be faked. The scattering of the Jews from their homeland to all over the earth, and their being regathered to their homeland again, was prophesied before the time of Christ. The first part of that prophecy came true in 70AD, and the second happened in the 20th century. That's a pretty far-reaching prophecy, as well as an unlikely one to come true, given just how scattered they were. Such a scattering and regathering of a single people, while keeping the same God and language all throughout the process, is without parallel in world history. God did it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 1:32 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Yeah excuses, excuses........why when I bring this up can't anyone who's a christian just acknowledge, yes there are some pretty dark things in the past of their religion instead of trying to convince me that somehow the Christians who did that where all fake christains. I imagine if I went back in time and asked them about it they'd have a different view on how real of Christians they where.

I'm with Ragtime on this one. How exactly do you define "Christian"? My definition is simply "follower of Jesus Christ." I don't care how much someone claims to be a disciple. If their actions don't reflect the kind of change in a person's life that one would expect by someone actually placing his faith in the atoning work of Christ, then I have difficulty accepting that any such person is a brother or sister in Christ and I would heavily question whether that person is really saved. Merely claiming to be a Christian isn't enough. It seems to me that the definition of "Christian" is "people who claim to be followers of Christ, go to church, and do evil things contrary to Jesus' teachings." And that's just not Biblical.

I was using it to refer to people who follow the religion Christianity.

Are there dark things in our past? Sure. I'll acknowledge that. And that some calling themselves Christians in the past did horrible things does not mean that some of those same people were NOT saved, either. It just means that the evidence that they were is lacking. Whether one's salvation is actually worked out lies between the individual and God. There have always been believers who did evil things because they didn't yet fully understand what being saved means. Christianity has never been about how much good or evil you do. It's about whether you trust that God through Jesus is powerful enough to atone for the sins of all humanity. Those who accept that are saved, and even the most hopeless among humanity--even those among us we consider evil beyond redemption--can still be saved through God's grace. If it is wrong for Christians through lack of spiritual maturity to judge others, it is just as wrong for others to judge us.

There you go with the 'calling themselves Christians'...they where Christians, that is the religion they followed, sure maybe they gave it a bad name and did not truly represent what it was supposed to be about but just dismissing it as not a part of the history of Christianity in general. Also I find the notion of doing horrible things with the comfort of knowing you can repent and be saved regardless kind of sick, yet if one lives a nice life not hurting anyone else they'll burn in hell if they don't repent...it's just not a belief system I can subscribe to.

Also I'm not really judging anyone, just explaining why I disagree with a certain religion, but I don't hate people for their religion.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 1:38 pm

Ragtime wrote:
01001011 wrote:
Really, do you expect any bible quotation to hold any water when arguing with anyone who dismisses your magic book?

Only if the book contains remarkable wisdom, and tells accurate and deeply-insightful things about the world, human nature, and the future. The degree of Jesus' of wisdom found in the Gospels cannot not be faked. The scattering of the Jews from their homeland to all over the earth, and their being regathered to their homeland again, was prophesied before the time of Christ. The first part of that prophecy came true in 70AD, and the second happened in the 20th century. That's a pretty far-reaching prophecy, as well as an unlikely one to come true, given just how scattered they were. Such a scattering and regathering of a single people, while keeping the same God and language all throughout the process, is without parallel in world history. God did it.

All the bible is, is a collection of various writings of ancient times written by various people....its their perspectives on what went on, all assembled into one book. How is it any more valid than any other book?

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 2:11 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

There you go with the 'calling themselves Christians'...they where Christians, that is the religion they followed, sure maybe they gave it a bad name and did not truly represent what it was supposed to be about but just dismissing it as not a part of the history of Christianity in general. Also I find the notion of doing horrible things with the comfort of knowing you can repent and be saved regardless kind of sick, yet if one lives a nice life not hurting anyone else they'll burn in hell if they don't repent...it's just not a belief system I can subscribe to.

A lot of Christians say that biblical Christianity isn't a religion, it's a personal spiritual relationship with Jesus Christ. The arguments for it not being a religion are that there are nothing but a handful of actual rules (like don't cheat on your wife, lie, steal... basically, don't be immoral), and therefore it's not a heavy and imposingly structured lifestyle, like say with Catholicism -- where you have do EXACTLY this, EXACTLY at this time, and EXACTLY this many times or you're going to Hell. Biblical Christianity isn't like that -- there aren't all these required things to do or use, like wafers, kneeling, ceremonies, strict customs, church attendance, little figurines that supposedly keep you safe, hail-marys, etc, etc, etc. And, anything you do wrong is automatically forgiven by God. You don't have to confess to a "holy father" man, or "do penance". Christianity is very open and liberal compared to most organized religion. There isn't all this stuff you have to do -- more like a handful of things we are recommended to do, to help us lead more fulfilling lives in the service of God and others. You don't have to do anything to be a Christian but worship God and accept Jesus' forgiveness. That's all. And you can't ever lose your salvation, no matter what you do. Try getting away with any of that in the Catholic Church, or other comparable denomination. It's the denominations that lay down heavy rules -- the New Testament itself really doesn't.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 2:24 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

A lot of Christians say that biblical Christianity isn't a religion, it's a personal spiritual relationship with Jesus Christ. The arguments for it not being a religion are that there are nothing but a handful of actual rules (like don't cheat on your wife, lie, steal... basically, don't be immoral), and therefore it's not a heavy and imposingly structured lifestyle, like say with Catholicism -- where you have do EXACTLY this, EXACTLY at this time, and EXACTLY this many times or you're going to Hell. Biblical Christianity isn't like that -- there aren't all these required things to do or use, like wafers, kneeling, ceremonies, strict customs, church attendance, little figurines that supposedly keep you safe, hail-marys, etc, etc, etc. And, anything you do wrong is automatically forgiven by God. You don't have to confess to a "holy father" man, or "do penance". Christianity is very open and liberal compared to most organized religion. There isn't all this stuff you have to do -- more like a handful of things we are recommended to do, to help us lead more fulfilling lives in the service of God and others. You don't have to do anything to be a Christian but worship God and accept Jesus' forgiveness. That's all. And you can't ever lose your salvation, no matter what you do. Try getting away with any of that in the Catholic Church, or other comparable denomination. It's the denominations that lay down heavy rules -- the New Testament itself really doesn't.

While I'm not Catholic, I have to say, I don't know a single Catholic who does exactly as his church commands. It needs to be remembered, some of the severest critics of Catholicism were themselves Catholic, like Erasmus. Also, the first Protestants had been Catholics, and only rebelled because they had wanted to help their church.
I'm afraid I disagree with a few of your theological points.
As a Lutheran, I don't believe in irresistible grace, or if you will, "once saved, always saved." Judas, after all, had fallen from grace. Those Christians who had committed Un-Christian acts had put too much trust in their hold onto grace, and thus had in reality fallen away.
Also, we're not big on the notion that we can "accept" Christ - that is, take an active part in our own conversion. Rather, we believe that our salvation is entirely in God's able hands, not our own - even if it may seem that way if conversion comes in later life.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 2:30 pm

Ragtime wrote:
shrox wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
It's interesting what most people thought this thread was saying: that Jesus wants us to hate.

The message of the thread is that the world hated Jesus.

The world didn't hate Jesus. When he was alive (assuming that he was a real person), the vast majority of the world was entirely unaware of his existence. The only people who hated him were the religious leaders of his country, who compelled the Roman authorities to arrest and execute him. According to the gospel stories anyway.

Those weren't the only people who hated him. And He was speaking of worldly people, who have the spirit of the world, and these people are spiritually the same everywhere on the planet.

This is an extreme black-and-white and us-versus-them world view. People either have the spirit of your brand of religion, or they have the spirit of the world, which is evil, sinful and immoral and deserves no consideration. The latter are an extremely broad group that probably includes feminists, atheists, liberals, all the other world religions, and ultimately anyone who might disagree with your personal opinion.

Well, when it comes right down to it, people are divided into two groups. Jesus did say: “Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.” (Matt 12:30)
And...
Quote:
From Matt 10:
32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.
33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
34 Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
35 For I have come to turn
‘a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’
37 Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.”

My point is to analyze, as correctly as I can, what Jesus meant, and that these are verses that often get pushed by the wayside and avoided, when, really, all those who believe Jesus is God, as I do, need to pay close attention to everything He said, not just the pleasant things. I also think I make a point that even an atheist or agnostic would agree with: those who follow Jesus should be sure who Jesus is in all His doctrines. Right? Some people worship a different Jesus -- one remanufactured to be different than the one in the Bible.

I will deal with the part of your post I did not quote by simply saying that you are throwing a lot of unfounded assumptions my way in trying to define who I am, and I've met the kind of people you describe, and I disagree with them myself, and think they are wrong-headed. I would rather you ask information about me than try to tell me who I am, when we know virtually nothing about one another. Especially if we are going to have a continuing dialogue.

Quoting scriptures that are unfamiliar to many and snipping them out of the context of the overall theme does not further any cause, expect to turn away those who give it a passing glance.

Speak boldly of your similarities and quietly of your differences.

Prickly, spikey things aren't often embraced.

These are extremely important verses, in that they relate to eternal destiny. I took great effort to clearly explain what they mean as I understand them, and I continue to attempt further explanation in my follow-up posts, as do others. I am not ashamed of anything about Jesus Christ, including everything He said. He said the harsh-sounding things He said for a loving reason. And I don't believe in re-phrasing Jesus in order to try to achieve some superior, gentler style. He was gentle -- but those are the verses most people know. This thread is about His other sayings -- doctrines that are absolutely vital to life after death.

I was not talking about rephrasing, I was talking about "pearls".

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 2:30 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

You do realize all christianity came from the same thing right? Of course different branches of it will operate differently, but don't forget most forms of chrisitianity did branch off from catholocism so to call the original forms of the religion false and the new forms true is kinda confusing to me. Either way I would not be part of any branches of it regardless of how un-restrictive they are as its simply not what I believe in.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 2:35 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
As a Lutheran, I don't believe in irresistible grace, or if you will, "once saved, always saved." Judas, after all, had fallen from grace.

How was he under grace to begin with? He was stealing from Jesus' disciples money bag regularly. There is no evidence to suggest he was ever sincere.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Those Christians who had committed Un-Christian acts had put too much trust in their hold onto grace, and thus had in reality fallen away.

I do believe in "back-sliding", where you can fall away from practicing and believing Christianity, without losing your eternal salvation. I also believe in false conversion, where the person was never sincere in accepting Jesus. Jesus said He'll say to those who tell Him in the afterlife "I performed miracles, I cast out demons in your name, and did all these wonderful works", He'll say to them "I never knew you." (Never once.)

Kraichgauer wrote:
Also, we're not big on the notion that we can "accept" Christ - that is, take an active part in our own conversion. Rather, we believe that our salvation is entirely in God's able hands, not our own - even if it may seem that way if conversion comes in later life.

Well, I do believe that the Holy Spirit leads a person to salvation, but that it is still a conscious and deliberate decision of acceptance on the part of the person. I know we've talked long about this before.