If we ever pinpoint Jesus' birth year, should we change

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 5:10 pm

the calender?

Apparently, it really should be like 2014 to 2019 or so, not 2012, since Jesus was probably born in 2 to 7 BC.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 5:15 pm

No, because not everyone uses BC and AD for their idea of the timeline. 0 is the divisor between the Common Era (CE) and Before Common Era (BCE). Jesus need not have anything to do with it

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 5:35 pm

Vigilans wrote:
No, because not everyone uses BC and AD for their idea of the timeline. 0 is the divisor between the Common Era (CE) and Before Common Era (BCE). Jesus need not have anything to do with it

While it is true Jesus, had nothing to do with it. They use BC and AD to describe his time and ear that he lived in. BC of course meaing befor Christ and AD after he descended. The Catholic Church is what played a role in BC and AD being associated with ",Jesus of Nazareth" as a historical religious figure. He how ever was not born in December the Catholic Church wanted to replace Pagan holidays with Christian meanings like Thanksgiving Christmas ect. The Vatican plays a very powerful role in politics and the infulence of Historical facts as well.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 5:43 pm

Joker wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

While it is true Jesus, had nothing to do with it. They use BC and AD to describe his time and ear that he lived in. BC of course meaing befor Christ and AD after he descended. The Catholic Church is what played a role in BC and AD being associated with ",Jesus of Nazareth" as a historical religious figure. He how ever was not born in December the Catholic Church wanted to replace Pagan holidays with Christian meanings like Thanksgiving Christmas ect. The Vatican plays a very powerful role in politics and the infulence of Historical facts as well.

I never use BC and AD. It is always CE or BCE for me. Unless someone is unfamiliar with those terms after which I elaborate

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 5:45 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Joker wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

I never use BC and AD. It is always CE or BCE for me. Unless someone is unfamiliar with those terms after which I elaborate

Fair enough I respect that BCE befor Christ Existed CE Christ Existed I am not sure but I think that is what you mean.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 5:46 pm

Joker wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Joker wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Fair enough I respect that BCE befor Christ Existed CE Christ Existed I am not sure but I think that is what you mean.

LOL no... as I explained in my first post, CE means "Common Era" and BCE is "Before Common Era". Nothing to do with Jesus

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 5:49 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Joker wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Joker wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

LOL no... as I explained in my first post, CE means "Common Era" and BCE is "Before Common Era". Nothing to do with Jesus

Oh ahah that is very cleaver :lol:

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 5:50 pm

It is the terminology used in most academic textbooks or scholarly articles I use

Gravechylde
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Apr 2012, 6:51 pm

I thought that it was originally called BC/AD when they first decided to split it, but now that such a large portion of people in the academic world are atheist they changed it to BCE/CE.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 6:53 pm

Gravechylde wrote:
I thought that it was originally called BC/AD when they first decided to split it, but now that such a large portion of people in the academic world are atheist they changed it to BCE/CE.

Not entirely true some people in the acadmic field are religious.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 7:36 pm

Joker wrote:
BC of course meaing befor Christ and AD after he descended.

AD originally stands for the Latin phrase "anno domini", which literally means "year of (the) Master". The religious meaning is "in the year of our Lord".

"After the descension" must be a backronym. But it doesn't really make sense, because Jesus ascended rather than descended according to the gospel story. Although, 1 Peter and the apostle's creed mentions a short detour to hell during the three days that he spent in his tomb. But even then, the year zero should be the year 33, i.e. the supposed year of Jesus' death / resurrection / ascension instead of his alleged birth year. Not that it makes any difference to me :) It's completely arbitrary and based on legends either way.

Last edited by CrazyCatLord on 18 Apr 2012, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 7:40 pm

Joker wrote:
Gravechylde wrote:

It does not have to do with if you are religious or not, BCE/CE is the new more accurate way to describe it. The reason it is more accurate- before christ and after death, what about the time when he was alive

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 7:52 pm

Delphiki wrote:
Joker wrote:
Gravechylde wrote:

It does not have to do with if you are religious or not, BCE/CE is the new more accurate way to describe it. The reason it is more accurate- before christ and after death, what about the time when he was alive

It was meant to be the era before and after Jesus's birth, not his death. The BCE / CE abbreviations are simply a secular alternative that has been adopted by the scientific community and most of the academic world.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 7:57 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
It was meant to be the era before and after Jesus's birth, not his death. The BCE / CE abbreviations are simply a secular alternative that has been adopted by the scientific community and most of the academic world.

Not saying you are wrong (also going off of the other post you made) but how it is translated into english does not make sense.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 8:28 pm

Delphiki wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:

Not saying you are wrong (also going off of the other post you made) but how it is translated into english does not make sense.

The English translation of anno domini as "in the year of the Lord" basically means "in the year of Jesus' existence", which started with his alleged birth. Christians claim that he never really died (or only for three days, but somehow his spirit was still around during that time and went on a quick holiday trip to Hades or something). So according to the Christian dogma / mythology, Jesus has been around continually since the year one.

Btw, BC (before Christ) is also a newer term that was coined in the 6th century. Older documents use the Latin phrase "ante incarnationis dominicae tempus", which means "before the time of the Lord's incarnation". This shows that BC and AD were meant to refer to the time before and after the Christian god's incarnation as a human being, i.e. before and after Jesus' birth.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 9:03 pm

We have too much invested in and depending on the current civil calendar. Call the Before and After B.C.E and C.E. to remove any religious reference and live the numerical dates we have intact.

ruveyn