Page 8 of 8 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Who do you think will win the presidential election in the USA?
President Obama 85%  85%  [ 33 ]
Mitt Romney 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 39

TM
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 4:53 pm

Dox47 wrote:
simon_says wrote:
If you claim to belong to Al Qaeda, an organization that openly declared war on the United States in the 1990s, well, that's on you. One American AQ ran a glossy magazine for them. Another was a cleric who openly claimed to be AQ, called for jihad against the US, etc. Beyond whatever evidence you may doubt, these guys paraded around as AQ. AQ promised vengeance for their deaths. A third is an AQ spokesman who is openly calling for plots to kill Americans. I have no problem with any of them dying. The third isnt dead yet. Hopefully he will be soon.

Americans with dual citizenship were killed in WW2 serving for Germany. That's warfare.

So speaking out against America is now punishable by no-trial assassination? Don't try and pretend what we're doing is no different than killing turncoats in uniform in open battle, that's intellectually dishonest and I think (hope) you know it.

I'd say it depends on "how" treasonous the acts were, if some guy orchestrates bombings of American civilians and there is evidence for it, I have little issue with sending Seal Team 6 after the guy.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 4:58 pm

Dox47 wrote:
simon_says wrote:
If you claim to belong to Al Qaeda, an organization that openly declared war on the United States in the 1990s, well, that's on you. One American AQ ran a glossy magazine for them. Another was a cleric who openly claimed to be AQ, called for jihad against the US, etc. Beyond whatever evidence you may doubt, these guys paraded around as AQ. AQ promised vengeance for their deaths. A third is an AQ spokesman who is openly calling for plots to kill Americans. I have no problem with any of them dying. The third isnt dead yet. Hopefully he will be soon.

Americans with dual citizenship were killed in WW2 serving for Germany. That's warfare.

So speaking out against America is now punishable by no-trial assassination? Don't try and pretend what we're doing is no different than killing turncoats in uniform in open battle, that's intellectually dishonest and I think (hope) you know it.

2001 AUMF, passed by Congress, gave the President the authority to go after any group he determined to be responsible for 9/11 as he saw fit, or those that shelter them. If you don't like it get it repealed. But it is US legal cover to pursue AQ. Affiliating with AQ and hanging out with them in Yemen is a bad idea right now.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 5:37 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
CoMF wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
True enough. But I'll still support him.

Because, you know, continuing to show blatant disregard for our Bill of Rights in the fine tradition of Dubya is perfectly acceptable when our president is a Democrat who pays lip service to sacrosanct liberal political ideals. :roll:

Actually, I will be voting again for Obama for the three reasons stated by Biden:
Bin Laden is dead, GM is alive, and the president has a big stick ( :lol:).

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

And the Fuhrer had the Wermacht and the Luftwaffe. Big stick not funny, particularly if it is wielded against your liberties and mine.

ruveyn

So much humor gets by us Aspies. That's why I had put a :lol: behind "Big stick."
Actually, when I was referring to the President's big stick, as stated by the VP, I meant it in the salacious manner that Biden's audience had taken it to mean.
So, yeah, big stick...

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

CoMF
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2012, 1:11 pm

simon_says wrote:
2001 AUMF, passed by Congress, gave the President the authority to go after any group he determined to be responsible for 9/11 as he saw fit, or those that shelter them. If you don't like it get it repealed.

Translation: I could care less if my president if Judge Dredd so long as he's a Democrat and I still get my Social Security checks and Medicare. Civil rights are overrated, and I don't mind getting felt up by TSA flunkies at the airport without "probable cause."

Seriously, Simon. 9/11 was over 10 years ago. MOVE ON.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 1:40 pm

CoMF wrote:
simon_says wrote:
2001 AUMF, passed by Congress, gave the President the authority to go after any group he determined to be responsible for 9/11 as he saw fit, or those that shelter them. If you don't like it get it repealed.

Translation: I could care less if my president if Judge Dredd so long as he's a Democrat and I still get my Social Security checks and Medicare. Civil rights are overrated, and I don't mind getting felt up by TSA flunkies at the airport without "probable cause."

Seriously, Simon. 9/11 was over 10 years ago. MOVE ON.

It was passed under a Republican and I supported it then and still do. Just as Ive supported other interventions under Republicans.

Why you persist in following me around and lying about my motives is a mystery.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 2:22 pm

TM wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
simon_says wrote:

I'd say it depends on "how" treasonous the acts were, if some guy orchestrates bombings of American civilians and there is evidence for it, I have little issue with sending Seal Team 6 after the guy.

To say al-Awlaki had (was) actively orchestrated (orchestrating) attacks is a bit of a stretch. There's no question the guy was Al-Quida, but he was more of a propaganda leader and stayed away from planning attacks. His presence was too visible for that. I don't see any evidence that he was actually involved in any plots. He ran a large website frequented by militants, all out in the open, no secret plots, and that was pretty much it.

Last edited by marshall on 02 May 2012, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 2:24 pm

Mitt Romeny has no chance because he keeps flip flopping.

taxman
Raven
Raven

02 May 2012, 5:28 pm

It seemed like a lot of the Republican voters were not that enthusiastic about any of their candidates, which leads me to think they will probably lose in November. This election reminds me a lot of 1996, where Republicans really despised the sitting President but could not really come up with a strong opponent. The only difference is the country is not in as good a shape but the perception may be that things are improving. I don't think moderate voters really trust the Republicans and they are usually the ones who decide the elections....I'm thinking a lot of conservative voters will probably stay home or maybe even vote third party, because many do not really like Romney very much.

Saw one of the maps showing the critical swing states and it looks like Romney would have to pull off wins in 2-3 states where the demographics are moving away from the Republican base. Still, Romney was the best choice of candidate for the Republicans, the others would have lost in a landslide.

Think the GOP is going to have to have some kind of major overhaul to remain nationally relevant long term. They'll probably always have the South and the lower population states in the Midwest/West, but if they keep going the way they are they will basically be a regional-type party.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 5:48 pm

President Obama.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 1:27 pm

This is a funny one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1jMaeoBrCs&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]