why I have problems with anti-theism... to put it simply

Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 5:35 am

Okay, I often evade the point. I go on tangents, I give metaphors, I give weird abstract arguments, I `can be hostile at times....

But the sole reason that I am vehemently against anti-theism (not mere atheism) is this.... have you ever been psychotic and believed in God? Have you ever done acid and heard the voice of God in your head? Have you ever had a near death experience and seen heaven with your very eyes? Have you ever had a spiritual awakening?

Is it fair to discriminate against the mentally ill or the misguided or the desperately hopeful??? I think not.

As for those who are power hungry who don't actually believe in their religion, but instead use it to control the masses... well for them, I have no sympathy.

I think most atheists would agree with me on this one. I am agnostic by the way.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 8:07 am

heavenlyabyss wrote:
Okay, I often evade the point. I go on tangents, I give metaphors, I give weird abstract arguments, I `can be hostile at times....

But the sole reason that I am vehemently against anti-theism (not mere atheism) is this.... have you ever been psychotic and believed in God? Have you ever done acid and heard the voice of God in your head? Have you ever had a near death experience and seen heaven with your very eyes? Have you ever had a spiritual awakening?

Is it fair to discriminate against the mentally ill or the misguided or the desperately hopeful??? I think not.

As for those who are power hungry who don't actually believe in their religion, but instead use it to control the masses... well for them, I have no sympathy.

I think most atheists would agree with me on this one. I am agnostic by the way.

I'm Anti-Theist.

I don't generally discriminate though. I may not be the up in your face activist style anti-theist you are referring to. But I describe myself as thus because I believe religion is plain bad and wrong.

I have friends and family who are religious, my best friend is Christian, and we have many debates about religion, but always keep it friendly. Although, he doesn’t actively indoctrinate others. I cannot stand people who do.

I could address the reason you are against anti-theism more directly, but the reason you cited was a list of questions. So I'm not really clear on what you mean. I want to know, but, I have a hard time knowing what you are trying to state...when you do it in question form. That requires a skill I just don't possess.

I could answer your questions...but I'm unsure if you are actually asking them, it seems you mean to say something with them.

So, I guess I will sum up why I personally think anti-theism is good … Because I think religion is bad. And I want to help people. I want to help people who are mentally ill and misguided too. It is not limited to just those who have suffered from religious indoctrination.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 8:48 am

heavenlyabyss wrote:

Is it fair to discriminate against the mentally ill or the misguided or the desperately hopeful???

I don't see the relevance at all of this.

Most religious people are not psychotic or mentally ill. They are merely misguided or desperately hopeful. The cure for being misguided or desperately hopeful is the truth. As for psychotic and mentally ill, I think they have greater issues than a guy saying that god does not exist.

Unspecified
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2012, 9:57 am

Do you suggest we consult psychotic people and individuals on LSD on other matters as well, or are spiritual awakenings privileged?

I would love it if the traffic authorities could base speed limits for motorcycles on an assessment of the exhilaration of riding fast, for instance.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 2:18 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
heavenlyabyss wrote:

Is it fair to discriminate against the mentally ill or the misguided or the desperately hopeful???

Most religious people are not psychotic or mentally ill. They are merely misguided or desperately hopeful. The cure for being misguided or desperately hopeful is the truth. As for psychotic and mentally ill, I think they have greater issues than a guy saying that god does not exist.

I think you missed the point.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 2:34 pm

heavenlyabyss wrote:
have you ever been psychotic and believed in God?

The doctors say that yes, and I'm a non-believer.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 3:50 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
heavenlyabyss wrote:

I think you missed the point.

Since you didn't explain why, I will assume you are just attempting to dismiss my argument for no reason.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 4:03 pm

I hate when anti-theists are always bitching about how all the world's problems are caused by religion. What about the persecution of the Falun Gong or all the religious people worked to death in Soviet gulags? Anti-theism has the potential to be just as oppressive as theocracy.

American
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2012, 4:05 pm

I think what those of us who have seen religion for what it is--silliness--should realize that it does serve a purpose. Most people are just too mentally weak to live without it. Christians may look down on atheists and agnostics for being immoral because they don't believe in fairy tales but most atheists and agnostics live good, moral lives (many do not of course and many Christians do not either). From a Kantian perspective the good deeds of non-believers are more praiseworthy because they are being done out of genuine desire to do good to fellow human beings, rather than make sure they make the invisible man in the sky happy with them so that they go to heaven when they die. For a utilitarian perspective, sometimes there isn't much of a difference. Regardless, like I said, most people, for whatever reason, need the moral guidance. And I am not opposed to it.

Glenn Beck has claimed many times that God saved his life. And I believe him. Not literally, because what he thinks is God is a mere fantasy, but his idea of God saved him. What's wrong with that? I think that's good. I tend to agree with die-hard Christians about many things involving morality but not the basis for these beliefs.

AdamAdam
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2012, 4:42 pm

heavenlyabyss wrote:

Who is discriminating? Not discriminating against people because of their religion doesn't mean catering to it yourself.

And your examples are probably bad ones tbh. If someone has a delusional belief or hallucination, you don't go along with it. Encouraging mental illness obviously isn't helping anyone

And as for those who are just midguided or use their religion as an emotional crutch, if it ended at that then fair enough. But religious people generally pass their religion onto their children, denying them the right to think for themselves (even if it's done with the best intentions, indoctrination is still indoctrination and that is often the case with religious parents)

One of the other main reasons is because of the undeserved attention given to religious leaders in policy making and debates. People take them seriously just because they're "religious," while anyone else making similar claims would be laughed at. The main religions have far too much say in everyone else's lives, which is why we still need to continue to fight "faith" and delusional beliefs as long as they're still taken seriously by society

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 4:45 pm

AdamAdam wrote:
But religious people generally pass their religion onto their children, denying them the right to think for themselves (even if it's done with the best intentions, indoctrination is still indoctrination and that is often the case with religious parents

Agreed.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 4:59 pm

Bun wrote:
AdamAdam wrote:
But religious people generally pass their religion onto their children, denying them the right to think for themselves (even if it's done with the best intentions, indoctrination is still indoctrination and that is often the case with religious parents

Agreed.

Not so some parents give their children a choice some don't in many proestant familes such as mine we had been given the choice to follow our parents faith or think for ourselfs I do a bit of both I follow my faith and still think for myself.

AdamAdam
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2012, 5:08 pm

Even if it isn't outright brainwashing, it's almost always still there.

Otherwise, why do you think yopu even have that faith? If your parents had been of another faith, your "faith" would have ended up that one too

American
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2012, 5:17 pm

AdamAdam wrote:

Otherwise, why do you think yopu even have that faith? If your parents had been of another faith, your "faith" would have ended up that one too

This is a point that I always raise with religious people. I kind of sarcastically say something like, "there's a thousand religions and yet you just ended up being born into the exact right one! That's lucky for you."

AdamAdam
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2012, 5:18 pm

Also I find it hard to believe that a genuinely religious person wouldn't (at least in SOME subtle way) try to force their religion onto their child. I mean, if you seriously believe that that is the only way to salvation, or that this god does exist, surely you'd be determined for your child to get into heaven as well?

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 5:19 pm

AdamAdam wrote:

My mother being a christian had nothing to do with me being one two we are secular about our faith meaning we keep it to ourselfs.