Teachers should be held accountable for student performance

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 7:48 pm

I strongly believe that it is the job of a "Teacher" to teach students. Most of you will say what if the student is being a bad student then it is the Teachers job to send that student out of the class room and continue teaching. That is my black and white thinking and opinon on the matter. What do you think?

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 7:53 pm

Accountable how?

Seem like it's getting near impossible to teach children anymore. Let's get rid of teachers and replace them with instructors. Or maybe we could get rid of people altogether and replace them with a TV and DVD player.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 Apr 2012, 8:00 pm

There are good and bad teachers but there are many other factors that play into student performance. I think bad teachers should be removed from the classroom but student performance isn't 100% of the judging criteria when it comes to what is a bad teacher.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 8:02 pm

snapcap wrote:
Accountable how?

Seem like it's getting near impossible to teach children anymore. Let's get rid of teachers and replace them with instructors. Or maybe we could get rid of people altogether and replace them with a TV and DVD player.

It is their job to have control in the class room and to teach if students are falling behind in their grades the teacher should do all he or she can to catch them up. I think military men and women would make great teachers they have experience with authority and can help manage a classroom full of students better then most teachers can.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 8:05 pm

If the student refuses to pay attention, that's his problem. Blaming it on the teacher is quite frankly ridiculous. The teachers job is to teach, NOT to make sure every single student does every single thing to the best of their ability.

You will reap what you've sown.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 8:05 pm

Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Accountable how?

It is their job to have control in the class room and to teach if students are falling behind in their grades the teacher should do all he or she can to catch them up. I think military men and women would make great teachers they have experience with authority and can help manage a classroom full of students better then most teachers can.

But what if the kids don't want to be in control.

I went through public school, don't tell me they should use magic.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 8:08 pm

snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Accountable how?

Most ot the teachers I had in school use to work in law enforcement if the student isn't wanting to complie and keeping the other students from learning send that student to ISS.

Most teachers lack this type of athority in schools.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 8:10 pm

abacacus wrote:
If the student refuses to pay attention, that's his problem. Blaming it on the teacher is quite frankly ridiculous. The teachers job is to teach, NOT to make sure every single student does every single thing to the best of their ability.

The teacher not taking disciplinary action for a student that is making it hard for other students to learn is at fault for doing nothing about it.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 8:12 pm

Jacoby wrote:
There are good and bad teachers but there are many other factors that play into student performance. I think bad teachers should be removed from the classroom but student performance isn't 100% of the judging criteria when it comes to what is a bad teacher.

Teachers should at least have a college degree in education the problem is that pricables at schools often never fires that bad teacher which is not acceptable.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 8:13 pm

Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Accountable how?

Most ot the teachers I had in school use to work in law enforcement if the student isn't wanting to complie and keeping the other students from learning send that student to ISS.

and i came through school without ever being forced nor expected to participate in any class, through much of my schooltime classes were routinely changed to something completely different because that was interesting, i loved school and the school itself still beat the regional average.

better teach a thirst for knowledge and healthy curiosity than the trie material itself.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 8:13 pm

Joker wrote:
abacacus wrote:

The teacher not taking disciplinary action for a student that is making it hard for other students to learn is at fault for doing nothing about it.

If they're being distracting, kick 'em out. They don't want to learn, they shouldn't be forced. They'll come back crying when their 20 and can't get a job.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 8:28 pm

Oodain wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Accountable how?

and i came through school without ever being forced nor expected to participate in any class, through much of my schooltime classes were routinely changed to something completely different because that was interesting, i loved school and the school itself still beat the regional average.

better teach a thirst for knowledge and healthy curiosity than the trie material itself.

True but why can't they at least show less leanessy for bad behavior. And take more disciplinary action against bad students. I would enroll my child in military school if he or she was that bad of a student when I mean bad I mean not wanting to learn.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 8:28 pm

Teachers should be held partially accountable for the success or failure of their students, yes. But the onus is not completely on them to ensure success. It is ultimately the student who determines their academic performance. Parents must also be held accountable for ensuring their children are raised in an environment that encourages them to function and thrive within the community's/state's/nation's educational system. (And private schools. But that is another matter.)

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 8:29 pm

abacacus wrote:
Joker wrote:
abacacus wrote:

If they're being distracting, kick 'em out. They don't want to learn, they shouldn't be forced. They'll come back crying when their 20 and can't get a job.

You see this is what I have a problem with if their not wanting to learn in a normal school send them to a military school where they have no choice but to learn.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 Apr 2012, 8:29 pm

Joker wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Teachers should at least have a college degree in education the problem is that pricables at schools often never fires that bad teacher which is not acceptable.

AFAIK all teacher are required to have a college degree in education or whatever teachers get it in. Honestly it would be better if they didn't have to have a specific degree in teaching because then it would make the profession more competitive and could draw professionals from the "real world" to teach children.

There is too much union coddling for teachers, they stand in the way of a lot of reform and are only concerned about protecting their jobs/benefits as opposed to the children.

There are certain societal problems that unfortunately affect student performance that can't be solved by throwing more money or accountability at. A child can't be expected to excel with in a crime ridden neighborhood with an absent father and drug addict mother who may even be abused and have mental and behavioral issues. It's a sad situation that only perpetuates itself to more misery. There's only so much you can solve unfortunately.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 8:31 pm

Joker wrote:
abacacus wrote:
Joker wrote:
abacacus wrote:

You see this is what I have a problem with if their not wanting to learn in a normal school send them to a military school where they have no choice but to learn.

Why do you have this right to decide and not them (or their parents)? What makes you so special?