any reasons why marijuana should still be illegal?

Page 9 of 16 [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 2:26 am

If pot were legalized every suburban user could grow it in their own backyard.

We wouldnt need to pay others to supply it.

Which would be a plus for the consumer side of the balance sheet, but it would hurt the other side.

But not only would it not create jobs it would threaten the liquour distillery business because even though booze is legal private citizens cant grow bottles of vodka in thier backyards.

So it would ruin the booze business and actually take away jobs!

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 8:15 am

Well, that is a very good point. At present, one is obliged to imbibe alcoholic intoxicants in order to demonstrate to society that one is cool. If it were to become possible to assert one's coolness through consuming marijuana, then the liquor industry, which presently enjoys a monopoly on providing coolness, would be facing some competition. Alcoholism might actually come to be regarded as non-cool, as more and more people became addicted to other substances of superior coolness.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 8:27 am

naturalplastic wrote:

Which would be a plus for the consumer side of the balance sheet, but it would hurt the other side.

But not only would it not create jobs it would threaten the liquour distillery business because even though booze is legal private citizens cant grow bottles of vodka in thier backyards.

How would it threaten liquour? I really don't think I am going to stop drinking if marijuana is legalized...and I am pretty sure most other people won't either. Its not as though one can only use one or the other....also I am sure they could make vodka with the right equipment, but I really have no idea about legality of brewing your own alcoholic beverages.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 10:51 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

How would it threaten liquour? I really don't think I am going to stop drinking if marijuana is legalized...and I am pretty sure most other people won't either. Its not as though one can only use one or the other....also I am sure they could make vodka with the right equipment, but I really have no idea about legality of brewing your own alcoholic beverages.

It is legal to brew your own alcohol. I don't think you need a permit or anything like that, but I haven't looked into it. Someone on jeopardy said she brewed alcohol, seen characters on tv shows, and other stuff.
edit: there are sometimes brewing competitions too. And seeing how if you leave apple juice lying around for long enough it will ferment then juice would sort of be made illegal :P

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 11:47 am

naturalplastic wrote:

Nope. Wrong. Not everyone likes weed. The liquor industry would hardly be affected at all.

You will reap what you've sown.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 11:51 am

naturalplastic wrote:

I think most Dutch pot consumers buy their weed and hash in coffee shops and don't bother with gardening. Just like there aren't many people who grow their own tobacco. And the Dutch beer, wine and liquor industry is still doing fine too.

PS: Back when I smoked pot, I also consumed a lot of alcohol. When I gave up smoking pot, I also quit drinking a few years later.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 12:09 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I think most Dutch pot consumers buy their weed and hash in coffee shops and don't bother with gardening. Just like there aren't many people who grow their own tobacco. And the Dutch beer, wine and liquor industry is still doing fine too.

PS: Back when I smoked pot, I also consumed a lot of alcohol. When I gave up smoking pot, I also quit drinking a few years later.

I think I'll die before I quit :twisted: because that is the only thing I can see that would prevent me from smoking weed or drinking other than life in prison, and I don't think I am capabable of anything bad enough for that.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 May 2012, 12:24 pm

I don't think there is any correlation between alcohol consumption and the legality of marijuana. Most potheads I knew drank more than people who didn't smoke at all in my experience.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 12:33 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:

I think I'll die before I quit :twisted: because that is the only thing I can see that would prevent me from smoking weed or drinking other than life in prison, and I don't think I am capabable of anything bad enough for that.

I thought the same at some point :) But then I moved to another city, had little contact with my old clique anymore and didn't know know where to buy pot at my new place. I decided to stay sober for a while, thought about my life, and realized how often my "friends" had been making fun of me. It also occured to me that they had mostly been using me since I was one of the few who had an income (some of them were studying, others were unemployed). So I broke off all contact with my former friends and focused on my job. At first I drank a lot more than before, but I gave that up too when it became a problem for me.

Years later, I read something about the positive effect of pot on Crohn's disease, ordered some Super Skunk seeds from a Dutch online seed bank as well as a growing tent and other equipment from a headshop, and started to grow my own weed. It was a fun experiment that kind of became my special interest for a while :) But when I smoked my first crop, I found that it only made my Crohn's worse, so I gave it up for the second time.

Btw, both smoking pot and drinking was surprisingly easy to give up. It was a LOT harder to get over my nicotine addiction. It was also pretty hard to give up sugar when I went on a low carb, high protein diet. Funny that nobody ever considers food a drug.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 12:46 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:

I thought the same at some point :) But then I moved to another city, had little contact with my old clique anymore and didn't know know where to buy pot at my new place. I decided to stay sober for a while, thought about my life, and realized how often my "friends" had been making fun of me. It also occured to me that they had mostly been using me since I was one of the few who had an income (some of them were studying, others were unemployed). So I broke off all contact with my former friends and focused on my job. At first I drank a lot more than before, but I gave that up too when it became a problem for me.

Years later, I read something about the positive effect of pot on Crohn's disease, ordered some Super Skunk seeds from a Dutch online seed bank as well as a growing tent and other equipment from a headshop, and started to grow my own weed. It was a fun experiment that kind of became my special interest for a while :) But when I smoked my first crop, I found that it only made my Crohn's worse, so I gave it up for the second time.

Btw, both smoking pot and drinking was surprisingly easy to give up. It was a LOT harder to get over my nicotine addiction. It was also pretty hard to give up sugar when I went on a low carb, high protein diet. Funny that nobody ever considers food a drug.

Hmm I had some friends 'using' me one time.....hell I should have just got more drugs for me and not hung out with them all the time because they just started acting different when I was out of money and after I had been paying for some of their crap because 'they didn't have money at that time but wanted to get high.' and then called me a drug addict. I mean WTF....So yeah I don't like 'friends' like that. But now if anything the friends I have do help me out and I'm not being used which i find preferable.

But yeah it was those people that were the issue not the cannabis so I cut the people out of my life but not the cannabis. As for food not being a drug its not an external 'chemical' that alteres body or mind functioning...its a nessisary for life for one, but I see your reasoning and some food does seem rather 'addictive' like some people eat way to much fast food on a regular basis in my opinion.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 1:06 am

Jacoby wrote:
I don't think there is any correlation between alcohol consumption and the legality of marijuana. Most potheads I knew drank more than people who didn't smoke at all in my experience.

The liquor companies are not willing to take the risk; they always throw some money into the anti campaign whenever marijuana legalization hits the ballot.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 1:10 am

Dox47 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

The liquor companies are not willing to take the risk; they always throw some money into the anti campaign whenever marijuana legalization hits the ballot.

They could make really good money with THC infused beer or liquor. I think it would even outsell the different alcoholic beverages with caffeine, which are popular with young people

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 1:14 am

Vigilans wrote:
They could make really good money with THC infused beer or liquor. I think it would even outsell the different alcoholic beverages with caffeine, which are popular with young people

Maybe, but IMHO they'd run into trouble with the FDA; just look at the stink over FourLoko, and that was just caffeinated malt liquor.

Now a nice MJ cigar that's been properly fermented, aged and blended sounds like just the product for a new market... :D

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 12:07 pm

I like to empty out about 90% of the tobacco from a Cuban (I know, it seems like blasphemy, but Cuban cigars are no rarity here) and fill it with mj. When you take a haul the smoke passes through the tobacco and some of the flavor is imparted. Very very nice

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 12:15 pm

Vigilans wrote:

THC beer pops up occasionally here in Humboldt. I haven't had any though.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 12:19 pm

shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

THC beer pops up occasionally here in Humboldt. I haven't had any though.

I would love so much to try some of this THC beer.......and I imagine alcohol companies could make even more profit with that, if cannabis was legalized so it might even help the alcohol industry.