any reasons why marijuana should still be illegal?

Page 5 of 16 [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 10:42 pm

JWH 018 is kind of fun but, who knows, I get the impression that the more things like that start coming out and the more skeptical the USFDA becomes of these analogs, the more they might just be ready to legalize.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 10:45 pm

sage_gerard wrote:
shrox wrote:
Marijuana does have medicinal value, it treats my tremor from Parkinson's (make's it go away) and it treats my Dystonia (relaxes the muscles that won't release). Nothing else does that without heavy side effects.

Is it the THC? Can it be administered without smoking?

I have tried Marinol. It was $3500 a month, but covered by TriCare insurance. It just wasn't as effective, and it takes hours to work. There are other cannabinoids in marihuana that interact with receptors through out the body, not just the brain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid

Specifically:
"Cannabidiol
Main article: Cannabidiol

Cannabidiol (CBD) is not particularly psychoactive in and of itself, and was thought not to affect the psychoactivity of THC.[12] However, recent evidence shows that smokers of cannabis with a higher CBD/THC ratio were less likely to experience schizophrenia-like symptoms.[13] This is supported by psychological tests, in which participants experience less intense psychotic-like effects when intravenous THC was co-administered with CBD (as measured with a PANSS test).[14] Cannabidiol has little affinity for CB1 and CB2 receptors but acts as an indirect antagonist of cannabinoid agonists.[15] Recently it was found to be an antagonist at the putative new cannabinoid receptor, GPR55, a GPCR expressed in the caudate nucleus and putamen.[16] Cannabidiol has also been shown to act as a 5-HT1A receptor agonist,[17] an action that is involved in its antidepressant,[18][19] anxiolytic,[19][20] and neuroprotective[21][22] effects.

It appears to relieve convulsion, inflammation, anxiety, and nausea.[23] CBD has a greater affinity for the CB2 receptor than for the CB1 receptor.[23]

CBD shares a precursor with THC and is the main cannabinoid in low-THC Cannabis strains. CBD apparently plays a role in preventing the short-term memory loss associated with THC in mammals."

sage_gerard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2012, 10:53 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
Are you arguing that we should outlaw everything that is considered harmful?

For the third time, I am not invested in forcing people to do anything.

My point is "just because you can doesn't mean you should". I would advise people not to practice unhealthy habits when they value health. I make that point strongly because I feel that people often times think they are unconditionally entitled to doing something they like. I came into this thread guns blazing because I have a stigma against drunks, smokers, stoners or even glue-sniffers. It is not that I mind their actions; I just don't identify with the motivations behind their habits. They don't even have to be addicted... It's just that mindset of being willing to take unnecessary, easily avoidable risks in the name of hedonism.

I value health, so I avoid fast food, drugs and the like. Anything that could be considered "unhealthy" for a person is something I tend to exercise caution around.

Now, I prodded your last post because it sounded like you were trying to say that liberty means having the right to harm yourself in some way because other people do it in other ways. I now know that is not your position now that you said the below:

Quote:
We should instead focus on social policies and create an environment where people have less reason to seek artificial, drug-induced happiness.

Ok, now we're on the same page. How would you propose this environment be created?

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:26 pm

But there are no long term issues with marijuana, so how is it unhealthy?

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:27 pm

Delphiki wrote:

Inhaling smoke in to your lungs will always do bad things for your breathing.

You will reap what you've sown.

sage_gerard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2012, 11:28 pm

Delphiki wrote:
But there are no long term issues with marijuana

Whatever you say.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:31 pm

abacacus wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

True. Vaporizers are a little better, but ganja butter and green dragon are healtiest alternatives.
Still, there is a certain charm to smoking a joint.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:32 pm

abacacus wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

True, but don't people who smoke marijuana smoke a lot less than cigerattes (usually). And sorry if I am wrong on this but I heard that if you use a bong than it is healthier since you don't inhale the smoke.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:35 pm

sage_gerard wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

Whatever you say.

Okay what are some then?

sage_gerard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2012, 11:40 pm

Delphiki wrote:
sage_gerard wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

Whatever you say.

Okay what are some then?

http://bit.ly/IJyfCQ

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:44 pm

sage_gerard wrote:
Delphiki wrote:
sage_gerard wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

Whatever you say.

Okay what are some then?

Sigh...

Delphiki wrote:
Max000 wrote:
Delphiki wrote:
Callista wrote:
Unwise, very unwise...

But I suppose there are worse things you could be doing. At least you didn't get blind drunk.

How is it unwise? there are no long term issues with pot

:roll: Educate yourself. Start here: long-term effects of marijuana.

well that is a google search...not a specific article. Why would I make such a claim without having researched it first :roll:
Just because I am only 19 does not make me oblivious.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf196288-0-15.html

You can not come up with an answer so you just say google it, nice job!

sage_gerard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2012, 11:46 pm

Delphiki wrote:
sage_gerard wrote:
Delphiki wrote:
sage_gerard wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

Whatever you say.

Okay what are some then?

Sigh...

I'm not your secretary, kid. You want an answer? You look it up.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:48 pm

Then why are you the one making the claim that there are long term side effects if you cannot come up with any?
(abacacus did say the obvious one I forgot of smoke inhalation)

I like how you changed I am not your damn secretary to I am not your secretary, kid. So now you are saying because I am younger than you I don't know what I am talking about, sounds familier :wink:

sage_gerard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2012, 12:07 am

Delphiki wrote:
Then why are you the one making the claim that there are long term side effects if you cannot come up with any?

I like how you changed I am not your damn secretary to I am not your secretary, kid. So now you are saying because I am younger than you I don't know what I am talking about, sounds familier :wink:

It does not take much thought to deduce that risks come with ingesting smoke as opposed to not ingesting smoke. I do not owe you a citation every time I say something.

Please look the info you want to see so badly up yourself.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 12:08 am

sage_gerard wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

It does not take much thought to deduce that risks come with ingesting smoke as opposed to not ingesting smoke. I do not owe you a citation every time I say something.

Please look the info you want to see so badly up yourself.

you act like I haven't.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 12:08 am

Now I am curious about what these terrible long term effects of cannabis are....I mean i know some risks associated with smoking cannabis but that's the smoking doing the harm not the cannabis. Other then that they have not found it damages the brain or body.