Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 7:31 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Most of the foreign aid ends up in the hands of corrupt politicians. People like Hosni Mubarack (who became a multi-billionaire) and Mobutu Sese Seko (who was one of the world's richest men). You're basically robbing poor people in your own country to give the money to a handful of extremely rich dictators. You really shouldn't bother.

If the people are starving now, they aren't going to starve any more by giving less money to their dictators.

The type of aid I meant was mainly the 'help African children now' aid, which is subsidised by governments here and accounts for a sizeable percentage of foreign aid. We're providing people who wouldn't have been born in the first place if they had to grow their own food with nutrition and health care, allowing for them to have more children and grow to a point where the entire system of aid will collapse due to its size and we'll be left with a continent just south of us where only a quarter of the population will have sufficient food, with millions starving or dying of disease annually.

I'll specify the main point of this thread a bit better. By helping those starving or otherwise dying in regions with regular famines by providing food, water and health care, we are allowing or even encouraging them to grow their population, meaning the aid system will be pressured even more to an inevitable point where it'll collapse and a lot more people will die than would have died if no aid had been provided in the first place.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 7:47 pm

There are geopolitical and economical reasons for EU not to cut the aid. One of them is precisely that it keeps Africans dependent on aid.

So, while the talking heads will decide about how they should stop people from dying and that will be the reason they won't cut the aid. In reality, they never planned to cut it.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 8:22 pm

The issue becomes a lot less clear cut when you remember that these countries are actually giving more money to us (paying off their debt, often created under dictatorships) than we are to them in foreign aid. Cancelling foreign aid will be punishing them for things that are not their fault. What you should be doing is forgiving their debt. If you austerity requires you to cancel foreign aid then, then I would consider it.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 12:23 am

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
My view on the matter might be regarded as being slightly offensive.

more than slightly. VERY offensive.