Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jun 2012, 12:19 am

Any Muslims here?

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 6:52 am

i'm not but there are a few. ppr is kinda hostile to muslims though. the number of islamophobes is amazing. mikecartwright(or something like that) posts here a lot. i forget the others names.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 9:51 am

VMSmith wrote:
i'm not but there are a few. ppr is kinda hostile to muslims though. the number of islamophobes is amazing. mikecartwright(or something like that) posts here a lot. i forget the others names.

Tequila and HisDivineMajesty are the other big ones.

VMSmith, You mentioned once that you have Middle Eastern heritage, so were you raised in an Islamic family?

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 11:53 am

AstroGeek wrote:
VMSmith wrote:

VMSmith, You mentioned once that you have Middle Eastern heritage, so were you raised in an Islamic family?

Tequila is bad about his islamphobic way of thinking. But their are some muslims on WP I am christian but muslims and christians have a lot in common

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 Jun 2012, 2:01 pm

I don't know if there is any more hostility towards Muslims on PPR than any other 'conservative' religious group like fundamentalist Christians or Mormons. Organized religion in general isn't very popular on here.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 5:04 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
VMSmith wrote:

I'm quite disappointed not to make your Islamophobe list given the amount of crap I get from certain mods about the topic, I must try harder.

As Jacoby said, their isn't anyone here that is genuinely hostile to anyone because of the fact they are muslim, but if you lean towards the wahabbi interpretation of islam more than the sufi and want to have an argument about whether the fact all white women are whores means it is ok to rape 12 year olds that aren't muslim, then yes you should expect short shrift from a number of people here, that said fundamentalist jews and christians also get get the same response, there is a big difference between criticising an idea and hating a person. (I'm sure Joker will agree that he has had heated debates with both myself and Tequila about his interpretations of religion and the politics of Northern Ireland for example)

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 7:13 pm

DC wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:
VMSmith wrote:

I'm quite disappointed not to make your Islamophobe list given the amount of crap I get from certain mods about the topic, I must try harder.

As Jacoby said, their isn't anyone here that is genuinely hostile to anyone because of the fact they are muslim, but if you lean towards the wahabbi interpretation of islam more than the sufi and want to have an argument about whether the fact all white women are whores means it is ok to rape 12 year olds that aren't muslim, then yes you should expect short shrift from a number of people here, that said fundamentalist jews and christians also get get the same response, there is a big difference between criticising an idea and hating a person. (I'm sure Joker will agree that he has had heated debates with both myself and Tequila about his interpretations of religion and the politics of Northern Ireland for example)

You do not regularly start threads on the matter, unlike the two that I mentioned. And you (nor Tequila for that matter) don't have the overtly racist overtones that we get from HisDivineMajesty.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 7:19 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
DC wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:
VMSmith wrote:

You do not regularly start threads on the matter, unlike the two that I mentioned. And you (nor Tequila for that matter) don't have the overtly racist overtones that we get from HisDivineMajesty.

I have not spared the rod with my criticisms of Islam, should I also be considered an Islamophobe? :/

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 7:48 pm

Where did the term "Islamophobe" come from anyway? There's good reason to voice concerns about Islam. Remember, don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 7:50 pm

DC wrote:

I have, ahem, a somewhat of a negative opionion of Islam and I am a mod.

That said, I don't think it has affected my impartiality. I've only got into sensitive debates with Christians on here.

I think it says a lot about Islam that:
a. People like me (i.e. non-PC liberal types) can't be bothered debating with Muslims in the same way we debate with adherents of other faiths, and
b. Muslims avoid talking to people like me about this stuff.

It is a peace fostered by mutual contempt. :D
(contempt for the other person's ideas, not their personhood, before anyone gets touchy).

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 8:06 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Where did the term "Islamophobe" come from anyway? There's good reason to voice concerns about Islam. Remember, don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out!

It's a way of claiming that criticism Islam is a form of discrimination in the same way that criticising homosexuality is a form of discrimination. This would only make sense in Islam was something you were born with, rather than something you have a choice about adopting. A lot of Muslims seem to see their religion as a basically congenital thing - we're all Muslims in spirit - we were 'born this way'. That's why they call converting reverting.

You see, Islam is not about free will. You don't choose it, it has already chosen you. I find this worldview deeply disturbing.

Also, in Islam, apostasy is no piece of cake. One of the things I dislike about Islam the most is that in some states you can't be seen to leave the religion on pain of death. So a lot of people are pretty much lumped with it the same way you get lumped with your sexuality. They don't realise that they have a choice in religious matters; they can't even contemplate leaving their birth religions because of the terrible consequences it will have if they leave. They think, 'I'm Muslim, and that's it' - it's their identity rather than their belief system. Thankfully, more people are realising that apostasy is an option, but we're in the 21st century and there's still too much of this complusory adherence crap around the world.

I can see where the 'criticism of Islam = discrimination' argument came from, but it's based on faulty reasoning about belief and human nature.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 8:33 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
John_Browning wrote:

It's a way of claiming that criticism Islam is a form of discrimination in the same way that criticising homosexuality is a form of discrimination. This would only make sense in Islam was something you were born with, rather than something you have a choice about adopting. A lot of Muslims seem to see their religion as a basically congenital thing - we're all Muslims in spirit - we were 'born this way'. That's why they call converting reverting.

You see, Islam is not about free will. You don't choose it, it has already chosen you. I find this worldview deeply disturbing.

Also, in Islam, apostasy is no piece of cake. One of the things I dislike about Islam the most is that in some states you can't be seen to leave the religion on pain of death. So a lot of people are pretty much lumped with it the same way you get lumped with your sexuality. They don't realise that they have a choice in religious matters; they can't even contemplate leaving their birth religions because of the terrible consequences it will have if they leave. They think, 'I'm Muslim, and that's it' - it's their identity rather than their belief system. Thankfully, more people are realising that apostasy is an option, but we're in the 21st century and there's still too much of this complusory adherence crap around the world.

I can see where the 'criticism of Islam = discrimination' argument came from, but it's based on faulty reasoning about belief and human nature.

Then perhaps there should be:
Heterophobia?
Caucasianphobia?
Christianphobia?
Agnosticphobia?
Atheistphobia?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 8:43 pm

Islam is every bit as idiotic as christianity. There is no fundamental difference between them. Traditionalists are the same everywhere. They'll believe anything as long as it's cloaked in tradition. It's like a pacifer.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 6:23 am

AstroGeek wrote:
VMSmith wrote:

whoops i mean mikecartwright is a muslim(or at least from memory he is). the right in general is bad on islam. im sure the op will learn who they are if they stick around long enough. they do tend to be vocal. cough ryuven cough.
um yeah i'm lebanese but my parents are christian. dads orthodox, mums maronite, i was roman catholic. unfortunately they are very islamophobic. lebanon is a very sectarian place which is a sad legacy of war and imperialism. even here the lebanese community is divided even though, outside of church, most of the arabs in places where we are concentrated are muslim and we interact with them everyday at work, leisure, shopping, whatever. islam and christianity share much in common.

TheWolf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2012, 5:35 pm

Damn, I didn't expect such a turbulent reply from people. I'm a Muslim and I was just wondering if there were other Muslims on this forum who had Aspergers like me or anything.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 5:50 pm

VMSmith wrote:
whoops i mean mikecartwright is a muslim(or at least from memory he is). the right in general is bad on islam. im sure the op will learn who they are if they stick around long enough. they do tend to be vocal. cough ryuven cough.

Do you know it's entirely possible to be left wing and not like Islam? Especially if you're an atheist.