Page 1 of 10 [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 5:12 pm

If the religious right would be gone for good and religion stopped playing a role in politics would atheists end their attacks against the religious?

Last edited by Joker on 18 May 2012, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 5:14 pm

1. Most of us actually don't give a toss about God, as long as we don't have to live under scripture-sodden ignoramus bigots who seek to force their views on everyone else.
2. Because innocent people are always the ones to suffer. Look at most 'religious'/ethnic conflicts ever.
3. They can choose whatever they like. That's up to them. And anyway, it's not just the Bible but the Torah, the Quran and so on and so forth.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 5:15 pm

Oh, and your sig is factually inaccurate - Ireland wasn't under colonial rule in a strict sense, it was part of the UK.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 5:17 pm

1. Because when you think that a huge percentage of the world is wrong about the answer to the most important questions, it is important to say so. To do anything else would be to give up on humanity.

2. People dying is bad, even if you think that they are wrong about something. Also, wars kill indiscriminately.

3. Have you ever thought about this: if a silly belief system claims that people finding it silly proves that it is true, then it has a built-in self-defense mechanism. This is the sort of thing you might expect in a manmade system.

Last edited by Declension on 18 May 2012, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 5:17 pm

Tequila wrote:
1. Most of us actually don't give a toss about God, as long as we don't have to live under scripture-sodden ignoramus bigots who seek to force their views on everyone else.
2. Because innocent people are always the ones to suffer. Look at most 'religious'/ethnic conflicts ever.
3. They can choose whatever they like. That's up to them. And anyway, it's not just the Bible but the Torah, the Quran and so on and so forth.

1. So every theist of any kind is a bigot to me atheist are pretty biggoted themself as well.

2. Those innocent people where also religious as well and some where not.

3. Sure they can choose what ever they like but giving a God whom they do not believe in any form of credit good or bad is a fallacy on their part and people will question their non belief.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 5:27 pm

Joker wrote:
1. So every theist of any kind is a bigot to me atheist are pretty biggoted themself as well.

Er, no, I was talking about a very particular type of religious totalitarian thug and not all religious people.

Joker wrote:

So that means it's alright to murder people whose views you don't agree with then?

Joker wrote:
3. Sure they can choose what ever they like but giving a God whom they do not believe in any form of credit good or bad is a fallacy on their part and people will question their non belief.

So it's all about forcing people to believe then, isn't it? Organised Religion 101.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 5:30 pm

Tequila wrote:
Joker wrote:

Er, no, I was talking about a very particular type of religious totalitarian thug and not all religious people.

Joker wrote:

So that means it's alright to murder people whose views you don't agree with then?

Not at all in America many atheists wish that the theists would just kill each other off completely.

Joker wrote:

So it's all about forcing people to believe then, isn't it? Organised Religion 101.

No I am trying to find common groud I think those of faith or non faith should both keep it to themselfs.,

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 5:31 pm

Tequila wrote:
Oh, and your sig is factually inaccurate - Ireland wasn't under colonial rule in a strict sense, it was part of the UK.

Um no Ireland was forced to be apart of the UK they had no choice.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 5:33 pm

Joker wrote:

But it wasn't actually a colony. It's worth noting that support for Irish independence certainly wasn't monolithic, even in Ireland itself - many in Ireland (at least before World War I) preferred to remain in the UK under Home Rule.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 5:39 pm

Tequila wrote:
Joker wrote:

But it wasn't actually a colony. It's worth noting that support for Irish independence certainly wasn't monolithic, even in Ireland itself - many in Ireland (at least before World War I) preferred to remain in the UK under Home Rule.

True it was a good move on their part to remain under UK rule during ww2 Hitler had plans on targeting Irleand and so they remained with the UK though many fellow Irishmen and women where not happy about it.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 7:14 pm

The vacuous nature of the original questions suggests to me that we are dealing with a POE. If I am wrong then the OP really needs to analyse his statements/questions with a deal more critical thought. I would expect a 12 year old of average intelligence to come up with effective put downs to all three questions.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 7:17 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
The vacuous nature of the original questions suggests to me that we are dealing with a POE. If I am wrong then the OP really needs to analyse his statements/questions with a deal more critical thought. I would expect a 12 year old of average intelligence to come up with effective put downs to all three questions.

Wasn't a put down but your saying im putting down atheists when they do that themselfs to any WP member that is religious.

You see here is what I do not get why waste your time arugeing about a being you do not even believe in or think exsits if you truly believe that then their is no need to bash those that follow God.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 7:25 pm

Joker wrote:
1. Why do so many of you talk about God whom you don't believe in?
2. Why must all of you be against a religious war when it is the religious killing each other should that not make you happy?
3. Also have you ever thought about this the more you denie God and mock those who believe in him you are doing what the bible says.

1. Because we need to counter the insanity of religion with reason and since religious people tend to be "trained" in defending their delusion we need practice in telling them off.

2. Because religious people don't tend to differentiate much between infidels.

3. The Bible has an opinion on everything, After all the Bible was written thousands of years before we even knew DNA existed, yet apparently Jesus has issues with stem cell research and cloning. Which by the way, is even more insane than Thor having an opinion on semi-conductors.

It's simple, so long as religious people insist on letting their delusions guide them, us Atheists need to keep religious people in the realm of reality not fantasy. If all religious people did were to sit in a church and pray, without letting it or wanting it to affect the real world, then nobody would have a problem with it.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 7:28 pm

Joker wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

Wasn't a put down but your saying im putting down atheists when they do that themselfs to any WP member that is religious.

You see here is what I do not get why waste your time arugeing about a being you do not even believe in or think exsits if you truly believe that then their is no need to bash those that follow God.

I am not putting you down for being religious. I am putting you down for not bothering to think through your questions, if you want a considered response then ask considered crafted questions. I get sick and tired of the same old tripe, Atheists have no morals, atheists hate the religious. I mean seriously do you expect me to welcome a war on the basis that religious people are killing each other, do you really think that is the depth of my thought processes.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 7:37 pm

What bothers me is if their truly a non believer in God why act like a egotist and to even talk about God if your a atheist is a fallacy.
When atheists attack the religious they only make them more religious we think your delusional as well only believe what you can see is rather strange.
I mean you can't see death but death happens to us all.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 7:45 pm

In response to your question about why people see the need to question a belief in god for me it is quite simple. If the religious fraternity kept out of the lives of the non believers I would not offer any advice on why I think they are wrong, unfortunately this is not the case, believers in god try at every turn to subject all to their beliefs for example; the opposition to embryonic stem cell research, abortions,homosexuality whilst not exclusively mounted by religious groups they are the overwhelming majority of the descenting argument and have had an effect disproportionate to their numbers, then we have the attack on science mounted exclusively by the religious nuts who seek to overturn the teaching of evolution in schools. this is just the tip of the ice berg and dont forget that my lack of belief would see me killed in some countries.

So you guys as a group back out of my life and I will stop trying to make you think critically about what you believe.