Who was a good leader/president in your country.

Page 2 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 8:58 am

Rainy wrote:

There's lots of things you won't be able to accomplish if you aren't willing to break a few ideals and do what's necessary.

Perhaps. But if I put my energy to my affairs I am likely to lead a long, healthy and uneventful life.

I let other people be heroic.

Do you know how many calories righteous indignation burns? Being heroic is great for losing weight.

ruveyn

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2012, 9:51 am

I haven't had one in my lifetime.
Nixon, actually the best environmentally, but certifiably paranoid and bigoted
Ford. nonentity
Carter: Cursed
Reagan: lucky Bastard, Communism fell under his watch, but horrible environmentally, killed the ERA. Fiddled while AIDS burned. The only good thing he did was apologize for Japanese Internment, which he
probably personally opposed doing.
George H.W. Bush-too upper class to care about the economy, horrible environmentally
Clinton: horrible environmentally, led to Bush being close enough to steal the election by letting a woman besides his wife touch his wee wee
George W. Bush: USURPER, 9-11 happened on his watch, horrible environmentally, started a needless war
Obama: Cursed like Carter, probably in over his head. Not that great environmentally

Oldout
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 9:56 am

For all the craziness that was attributed to him, Ross Perot's ideas actually woke up both parties for a period of time.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2012, 10:04 am

Oldout wrote:
For all the craziness that was attributed to him, Ross Perot's ideas actually woke up both parties for a period of time.

Yeah but Perot was a bigot. Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt of his NAACP speech, he called Maya Lin (the designer of the Vietnam Memorial) a "Nip." He couldn't even get his racial slurs right, Lin is Chinese American.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 10:54 am

MagicToenail wrote:
Oldout wrote:

Yeah but Perot was a bigot. Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt of his NAACP speech, he called Maya Lin (the designer of the Vietnam Memorial) a "Nip." He couldn't even get his racial slurs right, Lin is Chinese American.

For those who life was bound up in WW2 the Japanese of those days were "nips" short for nipponese and "japs" short for japanese. You had to be alive at that time to appreciate what was happening. The Japanese pulled the first "9/11" on the U.S. and were well hated for it. Pearl Harbor. Remember Pearl Harbor was the battle cry at the time. During the course of the Pacific War Japenese people were not even considered human. They were thoroughly demonized. And it was mutual. The Japanese at the time had a racial hatred toward white folks, especially Americans and British.

ruveyn

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2012, 11:18 am

ruveyn wrote:
MagicToenail wrote:
Oldout wrote:

For those who life was bound up in WW2 the Japanese of those days were "nips" short for nipponese and "japs" short for japanese. You had to be alive at that time to appreciate what was happening. The Japanese pulled the first "9/11" on the U.S. and were well hated for it. Pearl Harbor. Remember Pearl Harbor was the battle cry at the time. During the course of the Pacific War Japenese people were not even considered human. They were thoroughly demonized. And it was mutual. The Japanese at the time had a racial hatred toward white folks, especially Americans and British.

ruveyn

Even if you believe it's alright to call a (former) enemy racial slurs, which I don't. Maya Lin was Chinese-American, born in the U.S. BTW, after he found out she was Chinese, he called her "Eggroll" perhaps a lesser racial slur, but still not very nice.
OT did you ever hear of Pearl S. Buck's theory that Japan's rightwing hardline government came into power partly as a reaction to the U.S's Asian Exclusion act, that declared Asians undesirables and limited their immigration to the U.S.?

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 12:05 pm

Hmm if I think about it I would say Winston Churchill and Clement Attlee.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Aelfwine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jun 2012, 1:39 pm

In germany, I think chancellor Willy Brand (SPD, socialdemocratic partie of germany) was good, because he started to talk to the Soviet bloc.
I also like the current President (Bundespräsident) Joachim Gauck because freedom is for him very important and he isn't in any partie.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 2:35 pm

ruveyn wrote:
duncvis wrote:
Clement Attlee.

He improved Britain with a moderate degree of social democracy. You can always spot Brits who lived under the post-war consensus. They got to visit a dentist.

ruveyn

fixed that for you. :roll:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

JWC
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 2:43 pm

duncvis wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
duncvis wrote:
Clement Attlee.

He improved Britain with a moderate degree of social democracy. You can always spot Brits who lived under the post-war consensus. They got to visit a dentist.

ruveyn

Yeah, so the dentist could pull teeth unnecessarily, since the gov't paid the dentist more for extractions than they did for fillings.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 2:46 pm

JWC wrote:
duncvis wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
duncvis wrote:
Clement Attlee.

ruveyn

Yeah, so the dentist could pull teeth unnecessarily, since the gov't paid the dentist more for extractions than they did for fillings.

'ear 'ear. Whatever the government runs it will sooner than later ruin. And under NHS the Brits did have terrible teeth. You could spot a Brit 'arf a league off by seeing him smile. Crooked and missing teeth.

ruveyn

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 3:53 pm

I hate to break it to you but the NHS is very much still with us, providing health care for ALL Brits, not just those with fat wallets - poor us. Must be nice to live in a country where the infallible hand of the market determines who gets medical treatment instead of the useless state. :P

Anyway, my pick, my opinion. You pick your own hero of the people for your own country if you don't rate mine. :lol:

FOR THE HORDE!

JWC
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 4:12 pm

duncvis wrote:
I hate to break it to you but the NHS is very much still with us, providing health care for ALL Brits, not just those with fat wallets - poor us. Must be nice to live in a country where the infallible hand of the market determines who gets medical treatment instead of the useless state. :P

Anyway, my pick, my opinion. You pick your own hero of the people for your own country if you don't rate mine. :lol:

I'm curious to know what your teeth look like.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 4:20 pm

Intact. :thumleft:

Must be nice to be able to reduce the achievements of a statesman down to whether state provided affordable dentistry was as good as private (which is still widely available for those with the means, btw). :wink:

(You won't piss me off, by the way. I've read your other posts in this forum, so I've already dismissed your perspective as utterly irrelevant :lol: )

FOR THE HORDE!

JWC
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 4:29 pm

duncvis wrote:
Intact. :thumleft:

I'm guessing by 'intact', you mean 'in place, but not a pleasure to look at'. :lmao:

Must be nice to be able to reduce the achievements of a statesman down to whether state provided affordable dentistry was as good as private (which is still widely available for those with the means, btw). :wink:

I'm a quality over quantity guy, myself.

(You won't piss me off, by the way. I've read your other posts in this forum, so I've already dismissed your perspective as utterly irrelevant :lol: )

I couldn't care any less if I tried.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 4:37 pm

JWC wrote:
duncvis wrote:

I'm a quality over quantity guy, myself.

By "quality", I imagine you mean that the rich have all the good stuff (and very good stuff indeed), while the poor have nothing?

Gee, that does sound interesting.

On topic, I liked Trudeau and Chrétien because they had style. Also, they are not on bills, which is a good thing because both Borden and MacKenzie King scare me to death.