Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 4:14 pm

The Cuban Revolution changed the world when Fidel Castro, and Che Guevara ovethrew Cuban Dictator Fulgencio Batista that the US put into power.

The Laotian Civil War. Was a fight between Communist Pathet Lao often North Vietnamese of Lao ancestry, and the Royal Lao Government in which both the political rightis and leftists received heavy external support for a proxy war from the global Cold War superpowers.

Congo Crisis. (1960-1966) was a period fo turmoil in the First Repubic of the Congo that began with national independence from Belguim and ended with seizing of power by Joseph Mobutu.

War over Water. refers to a series of confrontations between Israel and Abrab neighbors from Novermber 1964 to May 1967 over control of available water sources in the Jodan River drainage basin.

I could go on and on their has been so many great battlaes their out history.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 4:52 pm

The Vietnam War had some good music.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 6:07 pm

Joker wrote:
The Cuban Revolution changed the world when Fidel Castro, and Che Guevara ovethrew Cuban Dictator Fulgencio Batista that the US put into power.

y.

Things became so bad in Cuba that the U.S. is littered with Cuban runaways. For example the Mariel Boat Life. We got most of the criminal scum from Cuba. Thank you Fidel

ruveyn

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 6:10 pm

Meh, they're outnumbered by Mexican and Haitian runaways.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 6:15 pm

WW II was the Good War. It was just and it ended right. My only complaint is that 90 percent of Germany and Japan survived the war. It it had been ten percent the world would have been a better place.

When I watch the Military Channel on cable and they show the bombing raids and give the casualty count I usually mutter under my breath --- not nearly enough

ruveyn

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 6:22 pm

Well, at least the survivors did knuckle under and start exporting to us their cars.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 6:24 pm

ruveyn wrote:
My only complaint is that 90 percent of Germany and Japan survived the war. It it had been ten percent the world would have been a better place.

Yes, because the former Axis powers are now the greatest threats to world stability. Sorry, what?

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 7:05 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:

y.

Things became so bad in Cuba that the U.S. is littered with Cuban runaways. For example the Mariel Boat Life. We got most of the criminal scum from Cuba. Thank you Fidel

ruveyn

The U.S should stay out of other countries afairs but we never do that.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 7:33 pm

Joker wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:

y.

ruveyn

ruveyn wrote:
Quote:

After we found out that Castro had sh!t on us like that all of those so called refugees that were criminals should have been flown or shipped back to Cuba in chains and thrown back at him.
I don't know why we ever allowed Castro to have power over Cuba. Had it been done my way we would have made a show of quashing that revolution just to make and example and send a message to Khrushchev.

Joker wrote:
Quote:

It's necessary in some cases...............

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 7:52 pm

It is not our job to get into other countries affairs.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 7:57 pm

Joker wrote:
It is not our job to get into other countries affairs.

Call it assuring regional stability for the common good.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 7:58 pm

Raptor wrote:
After we found out that Castro had sh!t on us like that all of those so called refugees that were criminals should have been flown or shipped back to Cuba in chains and thrown back at him.
I don't know why we ever allowed Castro to have power over Cuba. Had it been done my way we would have made a show of quashing that revolution just to make and example and send a message to Khrushchev.

Fortunately, you are not the president.

However, the CIA did attempt to murder Mr. Castro a number of times. They didn't quite succeed in putting Mr. Castro's head in a box to send to Mr. Kruschchev. Our government did manage to murder a whole lot of other people, though, and made splendid examples of Salvador Allende and Ngô Đình Diệm .

Raptor wrote:
Joker wrote:
Quote:

Not really. But our military-industrial complex always has to have some silly excuse to have resources sent its way.

Last edited by ArrantPariah on 08 Jun 2012, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 7:59 pm

Is it ever funny to find the words 'great' and 'war' ironic when situated next to one another?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 7:59 pm

My favourite is the Pig War, between British North America (soon to be Canada) and the US.

From the wiki:

Lyman Cutlar, an American farmer who had moved onto the island claiming rights to live there under the Donation Land Claim Act, found a large black pig rooting in his garden.[2][5][7] He had found the pig eating his tubers. This was not the first occurrence. Cutlar was so upset that he took aim and shot the pig, killing it. It turned out that the pig was owned by an Irishman, Charles Griffin, who was employed by the Hudson's Bay Company to run the sheep ranch.[2][5][7] He also owned several pigs which he allowed to roam freely. The two had lived in peace until this incident. Cutlar offered $10 to Griffin to compensate for the pig, but Griffin was unsatisfied with this offer and demanded $100. Following this reply, Cutlar believed he should not have to pay for the pig because the pig had been trespassing on his land. (A possibly apocryphal story claims Cutlar said to Griffin, "It was eating my potatoes." Griffin replied, "It is up to you to keep your potatoes out of my pig."[7]) When British authorities threatened to arrest Cutlar, American settlers called for military protection.

Brigadier-General William S. Harney, commanding the Dept. of Oregon, initially dispatched 66 American soldiers of the 9th Infantry under the command of Captain George Pickett to San Juan Island with orders to prevent the British from landing.[2][5] Concerned that a squatter population of Americans would begin to occupy San Juan Island if the Americans were not kept in check, the British sent three warships under the command of Captain Geoffrey Hornby to counter the Americans.[2][5][7] Pickett was famously quoted as saying defiantly, "We'll make a Bunker Hill of it," placing him in the national limelight. [8] The situation continued to escalate. By August 10, 1859, 461 Americans with 14 cannons under Colonel Silas Casey were opposed by five British warships mounting 70 guns and carrying 2,140 men.[2][5][7] During this time, no shots were fired.

The governor of the Colony of Vancouver Island, James Douglas, ordered British Rear Admiral Robert L. Baynes to land marines on San Juan Island and engage the American soldiers under the command of Brigadier-General Harney. (Harney's forces had occupied the island since July 27, 1859.) Baynes refused, deciding that "two great nations in a war over a squabble about a pig" was foolish.[5][7] Local commanding officers on both sides had been given essentially the same orders: defend yourselves, but absolutely do not fire the first shot. For several days, the British and U.S. soldiers exchanged insults, each side attempting to goad the others into firing the first shot, but discipline held on both sides, and thus no shots were fired.

Casualties: 1 pig

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 8:03 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Fortunately, you are not the president.

However, the CIA did attempt to murder Mr. Castro a number of times. They didn't quite succeed in putting Mr. Castro's head in a box to send to Mr. Kruschchev. Our government did manage to murder a whole lot of other people, though, and made a splendid example of Salvador Allende.

Raptor wrote:
Joker wrote:
Quote:

Not really. But our military-industrial complex always has to have some silly excuse to have resources sent its way.

I think we might agree on something now.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 8:05 pm

edgewaters wrote:
My favourite is the Pig War, between British North America (soon to be Canada) and the US.

From the wiki:

Lyman Cutlar, an American farmer who had moved onto the island claiming rights to live there under the Donation Land Claim Act, found a large black pig rooting in his garden.[2][5][7] He had found the pig eating his tubers. This was not the first occurrence. Cutlar was so upset that he took aim and shot the pig, killing it. It turned out that the pig was owned by an Irishman, Charles Griffin, who was employed by the Hudson's Bay Company to run the sheep ranch.[2][5][7] He also owned several pigs which he allowed to roam freely. The two had lived in peace until this incident. Cutlar offered $10 to Griffin to compensate for the pig, but Griffin was unsatisfied with this offer and demanded $100. Following this reply, Cutlar believed he should not have to pay for the pig because the pig had been trespassing on his land. (A possibly apocryphal story claims Cutlar said to Griffin, "It was eating my potatoes." Griffin replied, "It is up to you to keep your potatoes out of my pig."[7]) When British authorities threatened to arrest Cutlar, American settlers called for military protection.

Brigadier-General William S. Harney, commanding the Dept. of Oregon, initially dispatched 66 American soldiers of the 9th Infantry under the command of Captain George Pickett to San Juan Island with orders to prevent the British from landing.[2][5] Concerned that a squatter population of Americans would begin to occupy San Juan Island if the Americans were not kept in check, the British sent three warships under the command of Captain Geoffrey Hornby to counter the Americans.[2][5][7] Pickett was famously quoted as saying defiantly, "We'll make a Bunker Hill of it," placing him in the national limelight. [8] The situation continued to escalate. By August 10, 1859, 461 Americans with 14 cannons under Colonel Silas Casey were opposed by five British warships mounting 70 guns and carrying 2,140 men.[2][5][7] During this time, no shots were fired.

The governor of the Colony of Vancouver Island, James Douglas, ordered British Rear Admiral Robert L. Baynes to land marines on San Juan Island and engage the American soldiers under the command of Brigadier-General Harney. (Harney's forces had occupied the island since July 27, 1859.) Baynes refused, deciding that "two great nations in a war over a squabble about a pig" was foolish.[5][7] Local commanding officers on both sides had been given essentially the same orders: defend yourselves, but absolutely do not fire the first shot. For several days, the British and U.S. soldiers exchanged insults, each side attempting to goad the others into firing the first shot, but discipline held on both sides, and thus no shots were fired.

Casualties: 1 pig

Looks like you've won the thread. :D