When would slavery in the Southern States have ended...

Page 9 of 18 [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next

When would Slavery have ended, had Lincoln not intervened?
By 1875 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
By 1900 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
By 1925 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
By 1950 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
By 1975 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
By 2000 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
By 2025 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Never 26%  26%  [ 13 ]
Just show the results 16%  16%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 50

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 10:20 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:

Quote:
Members of the United Methodist Church, who do not regard homosexuality as unrighteous........

I don't know about that. I don't remember anyone in the Methodist Church I went to as a kid being tolerant of homosexuality.
We used the same Holy Bible as the Baptists, ya know........

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 10:58 pm

As a matter of fact, Southern Baptists and other evangelical groups have consigned us Lutherans to the fires of hell for daring to practice infant baptism, for our amillennial stance, our supersesionist (replace theology) stance, our denial of irresistible grace, our rejection of human choice in salvation, and our use of liturgical worship.
If it was a case that they just didn't agree with us, I wouldn't have a beef with them. Rather, the fact that they claim that my little girl's baptism isn't valid - and thus would condemn her to hell with me for not "making the choice to welcome Christ into our hearts" - is what genuinely pisses me off. :evil:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 7:28 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
There is no such doctrine regarding Methodists.

http://www.sbc.net/resolutions/resprint ... sp?ID=1214

Quote:
WHEREAS, Rob Bell, in his 2011 book, Love Wins, has called into question the church’s historical teaching on the doctrine of eternal punishment of the unregenerate; and

WHEREAS, The church has addressed this issue throughout her history, yet orthodox Christians have affirmed consistently and resoundingly the reality of a literal Hell; and

WHEREAS, The Bible clearly teaches that God will judge the lost at the end of the age (Matthew 25:41-46; 2 Peter 2:9; Revelation 20:11-15); and

WHEREAS, God must judge the unregenerate because He is a holy God whose judgments are altogether righteous (Psalm 96:10; Romans 2:1-5; Revelation 15:3); and

WHEREAS, The Scriptures affirm that this judgment of the unconverted is a judgment unto conscious, eternal suffering apart from the steadfast love and grace of God (Matthew 7:23; 25:46; Luke 16:22-25; 2 Thessalonians 1:7-10); and

WHEREAS, The Bible precludes the possibility of any opportunity for salvation after death (Hebrews 9:27), urging sinners instead to embrace the glorious gospel today (2 Corinthians 6:2; Hebrews 2:3; 3:13); and

WHEREAS, Jesus Christ and the apostles, out of their love for lost people, affirmed the reality of Hell in their own preaching to urge sinners to receive the grace of God, to repent of their sins, and to believe the gospel, and thereby to enter into abundance of eternal life (Matthew 10:28; John 10:10; Acts 17:30-31); and

WHEREAS, The prospect of fellow human beings, created in the image of God, spending eternity in Hell grieves us deeply; and

WHEREAS, The Scriptures exhort the church to hold fast to and proclaim the “faith once for all delivered to the saints” (Jude 3) and to “guard the good deposit” of truth the Lord has entrusted to us in His Word (1 Timothy 6:20; 2 Timothy 1:14), including difficult truths; and

WHEREAS, The Baptist Faith & Message affirms the biblical teaching that “Christ will judge all men in righteousness. The unrighteous will be consigned to Hell, the place of everlasting punishment” (Article X. Last Things); now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED, That the messengers to the Southern Baptist Convention, meeting in Phoenix, Arizona, June 14-15, 2011, do hereby affirm our belief in the biblical teaching on eternal, conscious punishment of the unregenerate in Hell; and be it finally

RESOLVED, That out of our love for Christ and for His glory, and our love for lost people and our deep desire that they not suffer eternally in Hell, we implore Southern Baptists to proclaim faithfully the depth and gravity of sin against a holy God, the reality of Hell, and the salvation of sinners by God’s grace alone, through faith alone, in Jesus Christ alone, to the glory of God alone.

http://www.sbc.net/resolutions/amResolution.asp?ID=610
Quote:
WHEREAS, The erosion of moral sanity continues to be a major problem of modern society; and

WHEREAS, Homosexuality has become the chosen lifestyle of many in this moral decline; and

WHEREAS, The Bible is very clear in its teaching that homosexuality is a manifestation of a depraved nature; and

WHEREAS, This deviant behavior has wrought havoc in the lives of millions; and

WHEREAS, Homosexuals are justified and even glorified in our secular media; and

WHEREAS, Homosexual activity is the primary cause of the introduction and spread of AIDS in the United States which has not only affected those of the homosexual community, but also many innocent victims.

Therefore be it RESOLVED, That we, the messengers to the Southern Baptist Convention, meeting in San Antonio, Texas, June 14-16, 1988, deplore homosexuality as a perversion of divine standards and as a violation of nature and natural affections; and

Be it further RESOLVED, That we affirm the biblical injunction which declares homosexuals, like all sinners, can receive forgiveness and victory through personal faith in Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 6:9-11); and

Be it finally RESOLVED, That we maintain that while God loves the homosexual and offers salvation, homosexuality is not a normal lifestyle and is an abomination in the eyes of God (Leviticus 18:22; Romans 1:24-28; 1 Timothy 1:8-10).

Whereas Southern Baptists regard homosexuality as unrighteous, and believe further that the unrighteous shall be consigned to Hell;

Members of the United Methodist Church, who do not regard homosexuality as unrighteous, are certainly also to be doomed for thinking thus, and will also be consigned to Hell, unless they repent and start acting like Southern Baptists.

Moreover, because of the Southern Baptists' love for Christ and for His glory, and their "love" for lost people and "deep desire" that they not suffer eternally in Hell, United Methodists and Homosexuals alike must both endure the Southern Baptists' smug pity.

Nothing in anything you've mentioned calls out the UMC. There is no condemnation of Methodists whatsoever in anything you've copy/pasted here.

Sure, we regard homosexuality as unrighteous. But nowhere in there does it say that "homosexuals are consigned to hell." In fact, the resolution you cited that affirms the Baptist belief in hell as a real place is merely a reaction to an author (Rob Bell) who appears to promote universal reconciliation. It has nothing to do with homosexuals going to hell nor does it have anything to do with the UMC going to hell.

Baptists don't believe that any one sin or wrong idea consigns someone to hell. ALL sin condemns us to hell, and God's forgiveness is available to ALL sinners who want it.

@Kraichgauer: Sorry you feel that way, but fundamentally the only thing Baptists are concerned with as far as the destiny of the human soul is whether one has accepted the free gift of God's grace and forgiveness through Jesus Christ. Your complaint is one of nitpicky Biblical interpretation that we have differences on, and some of those that you mentioned might be seen by some as potentially misleading believers. Your position on irresistible grace, for instance, could cause a lot of confusion for someone questioning whether his experience of salvation is genuine or not. If one can, say, fall from grace, was he really saved to begin with? It can also call into question God's ability to protect His own. Your position on human choice can also be confusing. I mean, we can go round after round on free will and whether it actually exists or not, but saying we have no choice in the matter doesn't offer much hope for those experiencing doubt.

I don't take any direct issue with infant baptism, but I do think baptism should be up to the person who is old enough to decide for himself or herself whether they accept Jesus and become a Christian. Baptism has no saving power. What some Baptist churches do is have something that functions similarly to infant baptism, and it is not Biblically unknown to present infants before the church and dedicate them to the service of God. I just disagree that baptism is the appropriate symbolism for such a thing.

We don't have a problem with liturgical worship, either. Some of the most conservative Baptist churches borrow heavily from liturgical worship. I've found some things in normal Baptist worship to be lacking, however. The problem with liturgical worship is that a highly ritualized worship element runs the risk of existing for its own sake rather than as a vehicle for genuine worship. It lulls the congregant into simply going through the motions without complete participation from the inside out. The extreme opposite is just as wrong--turning the worship service into a rock concert that glorifies the talent rather than Jesus.

One of the biggest problems I have with our (SBC) churches is that we for the most part choose not to have a strictly liturgical service and call it good, yet many of us have slipped right back into a tendency towards what WE call traditional worship when what we're REALLY saying is we just want a Bill and Gloria Gaither concert every Sunday--and that's just as bad as the heavy metal concert churches. It's not about the music or format. It's about the heart of the worshipper. I'm also sickened by the total lack of concern for the needs of the whole congregation and apparent blindness to the needs of the community we purport to serve. Convince a Baptist church to do what they're supposed to do (what any church is supposed to do) and you'll have a bunch of people that are so excited about showing up every Sunday it won't matter what choice of worship style they offer.

As for myself--I actually work in a Baptist church as a musician. I was brought up in a smaller, "country" church that tended to emphasize Southern Gospel music. I had my fill of it by my teenage years, and lately I've developed a taste for contemporary praise and worship music. I consider myself an eclectic when it comes to music--I have an extensive classical background, but I can also be seen in bars and clubs playing rock and pop covers (and people in my church do know that I play in bars, shower and change clothes, and show up for soundcheck within 3 or 4 hours after getting home from a late-night gig). So I can hang with a old-time pentecostal worship style just as well as I can read music accompanying a more concert-style choir. And I can do anything in between. We probably have some old-timers who think we're going to hell for using music that doesn't come from the Baptist Hymnal (they obviously haven't seen the newest one). But I've never heard any complaints after I slip back into my country southern gospel roots. It's relevant to them and I've caught a few teenagers actually enjoying it, too. In order to reach the worshippers, some versatility is necessary.

I say that to say this: I've often been dissatisfied with how things are done where I work. I feel like many of the people there are just waiting to die and they are out of touch or just flat don't care about what they leave behind. I don't feel I'm in the best place to grow as a Christian at the moment, and I've taken time to look at opportunities elsewhere. What I'm finding, interestingly enough, is that there are numerous calls open for praise band musicians and worship leaders at UMC, Presbyterian, and Lutheran churches. So it's not just Baptists. Check this out:

CCM worship leader wanted, Lutheran Church

So, apparently, Lutherans don't exclusively do liturgical worship, either.

I don't care what denomination you belong to. We all have problems. We're all still sinners. We all still need to repent. So before you try to remove the speck from your Baptist neighbor's eye, please be sure to remove the beam from your own. I promise to do the same.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 8:06 am

AngelRho wrote:
Sure, we regard homosexuality as unrighteous. But nowhere in there does it say that "homosexuals are consigned to hell." In fact, the resolution you cited that affirms the Baptist belief in hell as a real place is merely a reaction to an author (Rob Bell) who appears to promote universal reconciliation. It has nothing to do with homosexuals going to hell nor does it have anything to do with the UMC going to hell.

Article X wrote:
The unrighteous will be consigned to Hell, the place of everlasting punishment

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 8:33 am

AngelRho wrote:
There is no condemnation of Methodists whatsoever in anything you've copy/pasted here....nor does it have anything to do with the UMC going to hell.

Southern Baptists won a Mathematics prize for this one:

http://improbable.com/ig/1994/1994-math.html#alabamans

Quote:
Co-Winners of the 1994 Ig® Nobel Mathematics Prize
The 1994 Mathematics Prize was awarded to:.
The Southern Baptist Church of Alabama, mathematical measurers of morality, for their county-by-county estimate of how many Alabama citizens will go to Hell if they don't repent

How to Calculate
To crack the code exactly takes a small amount of mathematical skill, but anyone who has a little patience and is adept with computer spreadsheets can come very close.
FIRST, choose a handful of Alabama counties.
SECOND, for each of those counties, look up (in the chart above) the Southern Baptist Church's estimate of how many residents there were unsaved in 1990.
THIRD, for each of those counties, get the 1990 list of how many county residents were adherents to the each religious denomination. You can obtain this list from the Glenmary Research Center (www.glenmary.org) or from the American Religion Data Archive (www.thearda.com).
FINALLY, Using whatever method you prefer (simultaneous equations, or a computer spreadsheet, or good old seat-of-the-pants rough estimation) figure out the Unsaved-Souls Percentage (USP) for each denomination. When you've got the correct percentages, then this equation will add up properly:
((Episcopalians' USP) * (number of Episcopalians))
+ ((Catholics' USP) * (number of Catholics))
+ ((Jews' USP) * (number of Jews))
+ ((Muslims' USP) * (number of Muslims))
+ ...
+ ((Agnostics' USP) * (number of Agnostics))
+ ((Atheists' USP) * (number of atheists))
-----------------------------------------------------
= Total number of unsaved souls
estimated by the Southern Baptist Church
Once you've cracked the secret formula, you can look up the religious breakdown of any county an the United States and apply the formula to see how many people there will go to Hell.
Countries Other than the United States
You can also do this for any other country or region. Just obtain the religious breakdown for citizens of that country or region (the web site www.adherents.com is a good first place to look for this). Then apply the formula to it.
Bon chance!

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 99,4259125

The Baptists do think higher of United Methodists than of Catholics, but no Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Agnostics, Atheists or Episcopalians make the cut.

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 12:26 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Joker wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
So, I gather that the old geezers foaming at the mouth over the issue of Civil Rights have zero chance of getting into Heaven. And, those who supported slavery during their lifetimes are now wishing they hadn't, as Hell can get a tad uncomfortable.

It's not up to us to declare the fate of people's eternity.

Southern Baptists actually do it all the time.

Source or it's just a claim.

Hast thou verily never met a Southern Baptist?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Quote:
RESOLVED, That the messengers to the Southern Baptist Convention, meeting in Phoenix, Arizona, June 14-15, 2011, do hereby affirm our belief in the biblical teaching on eternal, conscious punishment of the unregenerate in Hell

One of the few pleasures remaining to Southern Baptists is consigning whom they wish to eternal, conscious punishment.

I happen to be a Southern Baptist. It has been my experience that the most condemning and hypocritical people I have met are secular liberals. It's not our job to apologize for the Bible. But we're not going to sugar coat it either.

Longshanks

Supporter of the Brian Terry Foundation @ www.honorbrianterry.com. Special Agent Brian Terry (1970-2010) was murdered as a direct result of Operation Fast & Furious - which Barry O won't discuss - wonder why?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 12:34 pm

Longshanks wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Joker wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
So, I gather that the old geezers foaming at the mouth over the issue of Civil Rights have zero chance of getting into Heaven. And, those who supported slavery during their lifetimes are now wishing they hadn't, as Hell can get a tad uncomfortable.

It's not up to us to declare the fate of people's eternity.

Southern Baptists actually do it all the time.

Source or it's just a claim.

Hast thou verily never met a Southern Baptist?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Quote:
RESOLVED, That the messengers to the Southern Baptist Convention, meeting in Phoenix, Arizona, June 14-15, 2011, do hereby affirm our belief in the biblical teaching on eternal, conscious punishment of the unregenerate in Hell

One of the few pleasures remaining to Southern Baptists is consigning whom they wish to eternal, conscious punishment.

I happen to be a Southern Baptist. It has been my experience that the most condemning and hypocritical people I have met are secular liberals. It's not our job to apologize for the Bible. But we're not going to sugar coat it either.

Longshanks

Amen to that.
:thumleft:

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 12:37 pm

Longshanks wrote:
It's not our job to apologize for the Bible. But we're not going to sugar coat it either.

Longshanks

What, then, does your job entail?

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 12:54 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Longshanks wrote:
It's not our job to apologize for the Bible. But we're not going to sugar coat it either.

Longshanks

To worship God and submit to His will. And that's coming from someone who was raised an athiest. What do you care what our job is?

Longshanks

Supporter of the Brian Terry Foundation @ www.honorbrianterry.com. Special Agent Brian Terry (1970-2010) was murdered as a direct result of Operation Fast & Furious - which Barry O won't discuss - wonder why?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 1:05 pm

Longshanks wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Longshanks wrote:

Longshanks

To worship God and submit to His will. And that's coming from someone who was raised an athiest. What do you care what our job is?

Longshanks

You're the one who brought up your job description. If you don't want to discuss it, then there is no point in your mentioning your job description in the first place.

And what, pray tell, is His will, to which your job description requires you to submit?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 1:21 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Longshanks wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Longshanks wrote:

Longshanks

Longshanks

You're the one who brought up your job description. If you don't want to discuss it, then there is no point in your mentioning your job description in the first place.

And what, pray tell, is His will, to which your job description requires you to submit?

:roll:
Have you ever even been to church??

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 1:26 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:

That's an awfully patronizing tone to take, ArrantPariah.

I disagree fundamentally with many of the doctrines espoused by many faiths, and I vehemently disagree with the intereference of faith communities in politics. But I respect the beliefs of people of faith and try to find a means by which their interests and mine can coexist. That means will not be found by one side ridiculing the other uncritically.

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 1:28 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Longshanks wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Longshanks wrote:

Longshanks

Longshanks

That's not the call of the question. Seeing as you openly mock us, why should you even care? What's it to you? I asked you first.

Longshanks

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 2:05 pm

Longshanks wrote:
That's not the call of the question. Seeing as you openly mock us, why should you even care? What's it to you? I asked you first.

Longshanks

I am not mocking--merely asking.

You state that it is not your job to apologize for the Bible, nor to "sugarcoat" it. You didn't write the Bible, so for what would there be for you to apologize?

You state that your job is "To worship God and submit to His will."

Why should you care if I care or don't care? What's it to you? You're getting extremely defensive here.

My reason for caring: I regard the Southern Baptist Church as a dangerous force for evil.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 2:07 pm

Raptor wrote:
:roll:
Have you ever even been to church??

I've had the pleasure. Don't really perceive any point in it.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 2:12 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Longshanks wrote:

Longshanks

I am not mocking--merely asking.

You state that it is not your job to apologize for the Bible, nor to "sugarcoat" it. You didn't write the Bible, so for what would there be for you to apologize?

You state that your job is "To worship God and submit to His will."

Why should you care if I care or don't care? What's it to you? You're getting extremely defensive here.

My reason for caring: I regard the Southern Baptist Church as a dangerous force for evi

Given the source of that statement, it's the best compliment I've ever heard for the Southern Baptist church.......