When would slavery in the Southern States have ended...

Page 11 of 18 [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next

When would Slavery have ended, had Lincoln not intervened?
By 1875 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
By 1900 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
By 1925 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
By 1950 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
By 1975 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
By 2000 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
By 2025 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Never 26%  26%  [ 13 ]
Just show the results 16%  16%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 50

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 10:52 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Longshanks wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Quote:
Funny you should mention that. I've had more Missouri and Wisconsin Synod Pastors tell me that I'm going to hell because I'm not a Lutheran. Oh, the irony.

Longshanks

Well, then those pastors are full of sh**. In fact, if you have either their addresses, email, or phone numbers, send me a pm with said information, and I will tell them personally that they are.
And yes, I'm serious.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

I'm pretty sure he's only pulling your leg.

No, I've actually heard them say it to me - to my face. But Kraichgauer is one of the last people I'd ever want speaking for me. I do fine on my own, thanks.

Longshanks

Lutheran pastors typically do not go around telling people that they are going to Hell for not being Lutheran. What did you do to provoke them?

Thank you for the vote of confidence in us Lutherans. 8)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 10:54 pm

Longshanks - - I'm hurt! :P

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 6:48 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I should concede that not all Southern Baptists are ready to consign my family and me to hell, but there are a percentage.
As for your point about denial of free will leaving no hope for those in doubt - our salvation, we believe, is entirely in Gods hands, not in ours. Even if our faith falters, God still holds us in grace. Same with baptism. We do believe that it's a means of grace, and that it's dependent on God and his free gift, not on us.
And yes, I do concede, there are Lutherans who practice non-liturgical worship, but they are a minority. We have no problem with this. We do have a problem with those who hold traditional worship against us.

It's not so much that denial of free will leaves no hope, etc. I just think it's easy for someone to mischaracterize it that way. Predestination IS in the Bible, after all. We just disagree on what exactly that means. Same with baptism, obviously; if salvation is entirely in God's hands (which I agree with, btw), then there is NO "means" of grace.

But, as you can see from my reply here (I hope), theological disputes on minutia are hardly worth Christians fighting over, and hardly condemns one solidly to eternal separation. But I do think perhaps certain people grossly misrepresent or misunderstand what Baptists are all about. In just the last 30 years so much has changed. A lot of the negative attitudes you're talking about are really more reflective of the much older crowd within our congregations. Get to know what some of your own church people in the 70s and older crowd REALLY think, and you might find that Lutherans aren't so lily-white, either. In the next generation or two, you'll really begin to see a tremendous difference in Baptists, also. We're not about condemning anyone to hell--the destiny of the soul lies in God's hands. All we seek to do is let people know that.

Non-liturgical worship, btw, is the next big thing. I don't hold traditional worship against anyone, and I don't care if you're Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, Anglican, Pentecostal, or what. I'm only concerned as to whether REAL worship is actually happening, and a lot of "worship" really glorifies the believer and not God. I have a huge problem with that, and it happens with traditional worship as well as heavy-metal churches. The churches that go the non-traditional extreme who don't actually worship may draw crowds, but there's also a likelihood that they have a "revolving door" effect going on.

That's where my dissatisfaction is at the moment, and I know my days at my church are numbered. But my unhappiness is really about the attitude of the worshipers rather than theology. Probably "Baptist" is not the best way to describe my own feelings. Probably "Bapticostal" is a better term.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 8:57 am

AngelRho wrote:
t's not so much that denial of free will leaves no hope, etc. I just think it's easy for someone to mischaracterize it that way.

If everything has been pre-ordained, then the best thing is for each of us to accept our lot and get on with it. No need for remorse.

AngelRho wrote:
Predestination IS in the Bible, after all.
So are contrary viewpoints. No fair asserting that something IS in the Bible without providing a passage.

AngelRho wrote:
We just disagree on what exactly that means.
I don't think that there is any disagreement on what "predestination" means.

AngelRho wrote:
Same with baptism, obviously;
No disagreement on the definition of "baptism."

AngelRho wrote:
if salvation is entirely in God's hands (which I agree with, btw), then there is NO "means" of grace.
Not even by believing and reciting certain lines concerning Jesus?

AngelRho wrote:
But, as you can see from my reply here (I hope), theological disputes on minutia are hardly worth Christians fighting over,
Sure they are!

AngelRho wrote:
and hardly condemns one solidly to eternal separation.
In my church-going days, I did have a Southern Baptist tell me that I shouldn't go to a Methodist church, because the Methodist church doesn't teach that the Bible is true. He was also one of the biggest jerks that I've ever met in my life. He and other members of his church contributed towards my feeling very badly towards Bible-thumping Baptists.

AngelRho wrote:
But I do think perhaps certain people grossly misrepresent or misunderstand what Baptists are all about. In just the last 30 years so much has changed. A lot of the negative attitudes you're talking about are really more reflective of the much older crowd within our congregations. Get to know what some of your own church people in the 70s and older crowd REALLY think, and you might find that Lutherans aren't so lily-white, either. In the next generation or two, you'll really begin to see a tremendous difference in Baptists, also. We're not about condemning anyone to hell--the destiny of the soul lies in God's hands. All we seek to do is let people know that.
The Southern Baptists do seem to enjoy letting people know that God has condemned them to Hell. It does get annoying.

AngelRho wrote:
Non-liturgical worship, btw, is the next big thing. I don't hold traditional worship against anyone, and I don't care if you're Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, Anglican, Pentecostal, or what. I'm only concerned as to whether REAL worship is actually happening, and a lot of "worship" really glorifies the believer and not God. I have a huge problem with that, and it happens with traditional worship as well as heavy-metal churches. The churches that go the non-traditional extreme who don't actually worship may draw crowds, but there's also a likelihood that they have a "revolving door" effect going on.
The traditional liturgy is about glorifying God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. "Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Ho-ly Ghost..." Nothing there about glorifying the believer. I think that most Baptists do take pleasure in glorifying themselves over others. Even while pretending or asserting that it is "God" whom they are glorifying.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 10:06 am

AngelRho wrote:
I'm only concerned as to whether REAL worship is actually happening, and a lot of "worship" really glorifies the believer and not God. I have a huge problem with that

Speaking of "Glorification of the Believer"

Longshanks wrote:

The biggest difference between me and an athiest or an agnostic is that I know, beyond any doubt, that God loved me so much, that he not only gave me a drop-dead, gorgeous, knock-out wife, a couple of great daughters, grandkids, a fulfilling military career, a roof over my head, food on my table, and a hedge of protection in battle, but also gave me His only begotten Son that I may spend my eternity Him either after death or after rapture. I'm saved and my place is sealed.

Baptists are very big on self-glorification. You really couldn't find another Christian denomination where the members glorified themselves more completely.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 10:48 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
Longshanks wrote:
The biggest difference between me and an athiest or an agnostic is that I know, beyond any doubt, that God loved me so much, that he not only gave me a drop-dead, gorgeous, knock-out wife, a couple of great daughters, grandkids, a fulfilling military career, a roof over my head, food on my table, and a hedge of protection in battle, but also gave me His only begotten Son that I may spend my eternity Him either after death or after rapture. I'm saved and my place is sealed.

Baptists are very big on self-glorification. You really couldn't find another Christian denomination where the members glorified themselves more completely.

The biggest difference between an atheist or agnostic and a southern baptist, is one believes all of the accomplishments of their life were ordained by a perverse bearded ghost in the sky who hates mansex and women but wants you to drink wine and take the body of his son into your mouth (no homo). So basically one is on the nutty side and the other is not

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 10:59 am

Vigilans wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Longshanks wrote:

The biggest difference between an atheist or agnostic and a southern baptist, is one believes all of the accomplishments of their life were ordained by a perverse bearded ghost in the sky who hates mansex and women but wants you to drink wine and take the body of his son into your mouth (no homo). So basically one is on the nutty side and the other is not

Well, that certainly is another way of looking at it. :lmao:

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 11:06 am

When people confuse faith and certainty, you know you are dealing with a defensive attitude. Usually they are just traditionalists, who are very defensive of the culture. Most people are wired for it.

The overhwhelming majority of people go with the majority religion of their birthplace and call it truth. Then you can divide that group into two factions. The larger folksey faction and the smaller and more philosophical faction. They don't play well together either.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 11:15 am

Here is one area where the Southern Baptist Convention seriously contravenes the Bible

http://www.sbc.net/resolutions/amResolution.asp?ID=681

Quote:
Resolution On The Christian Sabbath
May 1936

1. That we renew our efforts to preserve the Christian sabbath and urge our people everywhere to abstain from purely secular and worldly engagements on the Lord's day.

2. That we especially deplore the wide use of the radio for advertising and for flippant jazz entertainment on the Lord's day, and we would favor legislation to prevent all Sunday advertising over the radio and all cheap vaudeville programs on Sunday.

http://www.sbc.net/resolutions/amResolution.asp?ID=684
Quote:
Resolution On The Lord's Day
June 1973

WHEREAS, We are seeing an accelerated secularization of Sunday in America, we reaffirm our belief that, for Christians, Sunday should be the Lord's Day, a day for worship, spiritual renewal, and family life, and

WHEREAS, Many deacons, choir members, Sunday School teachers, and others of our people, including our youth, are facing, or may soon face, the need for choosing between their Sunday worship and Sunday work, we reaffirm our belief in each individual's right to a time for worship according to the dictates of his conscience, and

WHEREAS, As Christians, we celebrate our Lord's resurrection on this Day, and

WHEREAS, Sunday as a day of rest has made a unique contribution to our nation's strength and life.

Therefore, Be it RESOLVED, That we humbly petition the governing bodies of states and municipalities to take primary responsibility for preserving the unique character of Sunday as a day for rest and human welfare, and

Be it further RESOLVED, That we urge all pastors, teachers, and leaders to provide instruction as to the true significance of this day, in its spiritual values, in its proper use, and in the abiding obligations we have under God's moral law, and

Be it therefore further RESOLVED, That we instruct all agencies, boards, and committees to make due efforts to protect Sundays from scheduled activities and employ on Sunday only those personnel needed to carry on only absolutely necessary activities.

The Biblical Sabbath is Saturday, the seventh day of the week. Not Sunday, the first day of the week. The Jews and Seventh Day Adventists have it right. The Southern Baptists have it wrong, and are not following the Bible! !! !! God created the Universe in six days, and rested on the Seventh, NOT THE FIRST! That is why the SEVENTH day is to be a day of rest.

The Commandment is to Remember the Sabbath Day, and Keep it Holy! Saturday is the Sabbath Day, and NOT Sunday!

The Baptists are risking perdition on this one.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 11:48 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
Be it therefore further RESOLVED, That we instruct all agencies, boards, and committees to make due efforts to protect Sundays from scheduled activities and employ on Sunday only those personnel needed to carry on only absolutely necessary activities.

This is where atheist forced labor will come in handy

ArrantPariah wrote:
The Baptists are risking perdition on this one.

Since Baptists control the destiny of all mortals, they are in fact risking all of our souls

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 2:51 pm

Rev. Charles L. Worley of the Providence Road Baptist Church in Maiden, N.C., during a sermon, argued for the building of a large fence some 150 miles long to contain "lesbians" in one section and "homosexuals and queers" in another section. "And have that fence electrified till they can't get out," he continued. "Feed 'em. And you know what? In a few years they'll die out. Do you know why? They can't reproduce."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2n7vSPwhSU[/youtube]

Is this an example of how Baptists "hate the sin, but love the sinner?"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 3:06 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I should concede that not all Southern Baptists are ready to consign my family and me to hell, but there are a percentage.
As for your point about denial of free will leaving no hope for those in doubt - our salvation, we believe, is entirely in Gods hands, not in ours. Even if our faith falters, God still holds us in grace. Same with baptism. We do believe that it's a means of grace, and that it's dependent on God and his free gift, not on us.
And yes, I do concede, there are Lutherans who practice non-liturgical worship, but they are a minority. We have no problem with this. We do have a problem with those who hold traditional worship against us.

It's not so much that denial of free will leaves no hope, etc. I just think it's easy for someone to mischaracterize it that way. Predestination IS in the Bible, after all. We just disagree on what exactly that means. Same with baptism, obviously; if salvation is entirely in God's hands (which I agree with, btw), then there is NO "means" of grace.

But, as you can see from my reply here (I hope), theological disputes on minutia are hardly worth Christians fighting over, and hardly condemns one solidly to eternal separation. But I do think perhaps certain people grossly misrepresent or misunderstand what Baptists are all about. In just the last 30 years so much has changed. A lot of the negative attitudes you're talking about are really more reflective of the much older crowd within our congregations. Get to know what some of your own church people in the 70s and older crowd REALLY think, and you might find that Lutherans aren't so lily-white, either. In the next generation or two, you'll really begin to see a tremendous difference in Baptists, also. We're not about condemning anyone to hell--the destiny of the soul lies in God's hands. All we seek to do is let people know that.

That's where my dissatisfaction is at the moment, and I know my days at my church are numbered. But my unhappiness is really about the attitude of the worshipers rather than theology. Probably "Baptist" is not the best way to describe my own feelings. Probably "Bapticostal" is a better term.

As a matter of fact, we Lutherans are very sacramental, and thus we do believe in the means of grace. Our confessions make it clear that the sacraments of the Eucharist and the Lord's Supper are physical manifestations of the word, and it's by the word that the Holy Spirit brings us into grace. And as God's grace is a gift, rather than a choice, we stand by infant baptism, because if God can give grace to an adult, he can give it to a baby.
And I don't have to go seeking older Lutherans to know that not all of them are lily white. The clique of older men who have been running my Lutheran Church Missouri Synod for some time now (and who are disconnected from many of our congregations - especially on the coasts) seem to think that they have to behave like Southern Baptists. And that isn't just my opinion, but is commonly held by Lutherans and Non-Lutherans alike.
And in closing - - my Pastor uses the word Bapticostal all the time.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 3:20 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Rev. Charles L. Worley of the Providence Road Baptist Church in Maiden, N.C., during a sermon, argued for the building of a large fence some 150 miles long to contain "lesbians" in one section and "homosexuals and queers" in another section. "And have that fence electrified till they can't get out," he continued. "Feed 'em. And you know what? In a few years they'll die out. Do you know why? They can't reproduce."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2n7vSPwhSU[/youtube]

Is this an example of how Baptists "hate the sin, but love the sinner?"

The good Rev. Worley said he isn't going to vote for a "homosexual lover" like Obama. Well, as he considers homosexuality to be a sin, and he's supposed to love the sinner, shouldn't he, too, be a homosexual lover?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 3:53 pm

Baptists can be funny, sometimes, when they are going after each other. Regarding the issue of dancing:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 68,3449732

Quote:
A second preacher, the Rev. John Buell of Knoxville, cited the Sermon on the Mount and quoted Matthew 5:28, in which Jesus said that a man who looks at a woman with lust commits adultery.

"Any man who says he can dance and keep his thoughts pure is less than a man or a liar," Buell cried, and a great chorus of amens went up.

:lmao:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 4:51 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Baptists can be funny, sometimes, when they are going after each other. Regarding the issue of dancing:

Quote:
A second preacher, the Rev. John Buell of Knoxville, cited the Sermon on the Mount and quoted Matthew 5:28, in which Jesus said that a man who looks at a woman with lust commits adultery.

"Any man who says he can dance and keep his thoughts pure is less than a man or a liar," Buell cried, and a great chorus of amens went up.

Dancing with a person of the other gender is just about the friendliest thing one can do with his/her clothes on.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 6:02 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:

Quote:

Maybe they just should outlaw premarital sex so dancing doesn't break out.