Sinn Fein wants referendum on Irish unification

Page 2 of 13 [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:02 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Um, Lawrie isn't an Irish name, either.

Lawrie--like Laurie, Lori, Laura and Loren--is a feminine domesticity of the Latin "Laurentius", from which the English, "Lawrence" is derived.

The Gaelic translation of Lawrence is "Labhras," (LAW-ras) and the feminisation would be, "Labhrain," or more colloquially, "Labhra" (LAW reen or LAW ra).

The only rendering of the name that might be unambiguously Celtic (Irish, Scots, Cornish or Manx) would be Laureen, or one of its cognates like Lauren. Lorraine could either be Celtic or Frankish, though.

Your boring me again

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:23 pm

visagrunt wrote:
If you bothered to read the article you would understand that under present circumstances, such a referendum is a hopeless cause.

Exactly - even most Irish nationalists in NI (who are far, far more nationalistic than the vast majority of people in the Republic) don't want a United Ireland in these circumstances, due to the massive economic problems of the Republic at the moment. They would be utterly insane to want a UI at this point in time.

It's a truism that, whenever you're in Ireland and you're about to cross the border, when you see the Irish tricolours everywhere you know you're back in the UK. And it's almost always true.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:26 pm

Tequila wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
If you bothered to read the article you would understand that under present circumstances, such a referendum is a hopeless cause.

Exactly - even most Irish nationalists in NI (who are far, far more nationalistic than the vast majority of people in the Republic) don't want a United Ireland in these circumstances, due to the massive economic problems of the Republic at the moment. They would be utterly insane to want a UI at this point in time.

It's a truism that, whenever you're in Ireland and you're about to cross the border, when you see the Irish tricolours everywhere you know you're back in the UK. And it's almost always true.

I am sure it could happen though maybe not in 2014 but in a few or a couple of years from now Irleand will become one.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:28 pm

Fogman wrote:
Seems a bit redundundant in this day and age of the EU.

If you knew anything about the EU, you'd know that nationalism (often twinned with Euroscepticism) is on the rise in several EU and non-EU countries. The True Finns in Finland, UKIP in Britain, Geert Wilders' mob in the Netherlands and so on.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:30 pm

Joker wrote:
I am sure it could happen though maybe not in 2014 but in a few or a couple of years from now Irleand will become one.

Once the government of the Republic collapses under its own current account deficit and seeks readmission to the United Kingdom, perhaps?

If Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland start to outperform Eire, economically, it might be just as much an option.

:wink:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:30 pm

Joker wrote:

It won't happen for a very long time yet, if ever. The Nationalist vote isn't there and won't be for decades, if ever.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:31 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Once the government of the Republic collapses under its own current account deficit and seeks readmission to the United Kingdom, perhaps?

I actually said that to a member of SF who said that she wanted a UI for economic reasons and nothing else. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:33 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Joker wrote:

If Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland start to outperform Eire, economically, it might be just as much an option.

:wink:

Now that would be great to see. All Europena countries should be one I think all countries should be independent countries.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:35 pm

Tequila wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

I actually said that to a member of SF who said that she wanted a UI for economic reasons and nothing else. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is a great reason for a UI.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:35 pm

Joker wrote:
Now that would be great to see.

You're advocating Ireland rejoining the United Kingdom now?! Not even the most extreme Unionist parties in Northern Ireland actually advocate that unless it's as a joke. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What would Michael Collins think of you, I wonder! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:36 pm

I'm totally in favour of that sort of United Ireland if they're happy with that - bring it on! :D

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:37 pm

Tequila wrote:
Joker wrote:
Now that would be great to see.

You're advocating Ireland rejoining the United Kingdom now?! Not even the most extreme Unionist parties in Northern Ireland actually advocate that unless it's as a joke. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What would Michael Collins think of you, I wonder! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I mean UI as a United Ireland :wink: and Michael Collins signed the [edit] Anglo-Irish Treaty with the British.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:39 pm

Tequila wrote:
I'm totally in favour of that sort of United Ireland if they're happy with that - bring it on! :D

That is the kind of Irleand that I would love to see. The nonsense though getting their will be a political battle for sure seeing how the IRA are the reasons why no one talks about a united ireland any more.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:39 pm

Joker wrote:
I mean UI as a United Ireland :wink:

Yes - that would be a United Ireland - under the British Crown and the Union Jack as happened in 1800-1922 (the whole of Ireland was in the UK then), and was the very political settlement that Collins and de Valera fought so valiantly against!

So you're siding with the likes of Lord Carson (who wanted all of Ireland to remain in the UK) and against Michael Collins and your heroes (who wanted/want independence for Ireland)! You could not make this up! I'm dying of laughter here!

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:41 pm

Tequila wrote:
Joker wrote:
I mean UI as a United Ireland :wink:

Yes - that would be a United Ireland - under the British Crown and the Union Jack as happened in 1800-1922 (the whole of Ireland was in the UK then), and was the very political settlement that Collins and de Valera fought so valiantly against!

So you're siding with the likes of Lord Carson (who wanted all of Ireland to remain in the UK) and against Michael Collins and your heroes (who wanted/want independence for Ireland)! You could not make this up! I'm dying of laughter here!

Michael Collins signed the treaty to stop the war though he was against it I still love Michael Collins a true Irish hero.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:52 pm

Joker wrote:
Michael Collins signed the treaty to stop the war though he was against it I still love Michael Collins a true Irish hero.

You just said you wanted a United Ireland like this:

Now, I'm totally in favour of that United Ireland. Are you?