Page 1 of 13 [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 2:15 am

Do you think since Obama has been elected, racism in America has made a comeback? I never heard people discussing race like this in the 90s or prior to 2008.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 2:22 am

Sort of. It's not as major as it has been in the past, but people did grumble about a black president.

You will reap what you've sown.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 Mar 2012, 4:12 am

Racism sells. Blame the media.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 5:20 am

I think racism that many people had kept hidden away became unleashed when Obama was elected. But this very well be part of a growing process, as desegregation and civil rights saw an upsurge in race hatred. But in the end, civil rights won out, and we as a society learned to move ahead. Obama is the first black president, but I seriously doubt he'll be the last. He is a pioneer, making strives for all Americans in a very real sense.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

TM
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 7:56 am

Yes and no. The what used to be racism is more or less dead in most places in the western world, but there is a trend of using "racism" as a name for non-race related actions and statements. For instance, I believe that Western European based culture and values are better from an objective standpoint than Middle Eastern culture and values. This is often referred to as racism, but it has nothing to do with race, it has to do with values.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 8:15 am

As one of those hateful conservatives that mostly only associates with other hateful conservatives, some that make me look like a sniveling liberal, I've observed very minimal displeasure with Obama based on race. Of course, I was accused of racism by for voting against Obama by the same liberals that were against Herman Cain.
:roll:

TM
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 8:53 am

Raptor wrote:
As one of those hateful conservatives that mostly only associates with other hateful conservatives, some that make me look like a sniveling liberal, I've observed very minimal displeasure with Obama based on race. Of course, I was accused of racism by for voting against Obama by the same liberals that were against Herman Cain.

It's hard to tell, there is a degree of disrespect towards Obama from other politicians which is unprecedented, Jan Brewer sticking her finger in his face, the Republicans doing "and this is why the President is wrong" addresses right after the President has spoken. I can only imagine what would have happened if someone stuck a finger in Teddy Roosevelt's face or if the opposition followed Kennedy's "It's not what your country can do for you" speech with "No, its not!".

On a general level, I think the vitriol Obama gets is similar to the level Bush got from the left, however the difference is the behavior by the politicians towards the President.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 9:02 am

I lived in Missouri from 2007 - 2009, did my fair share of eavesdropping; a few people said that Obama would get assassinated in the first 90 days of office. Spoken like it was the only thing that could calm them down. I had a church teacher try to depict Obama as the Antichrist. Nobody said anything about race, but I've heard just about everything around it.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 9:37 am

TM wrote:
Raptor wrote:

It's hard to tell, there is a degree of disrespect towards Obama from other politicians which is unprecedented, Jan Brewer sticking her finger in his face, the Republicans doing "and this is why the President is wrong" addresses right after the President has spoken. I can only imagine what would have happened if someone stuck a finger in Teddy Roosevelt's face or if the opposition followed Kennedy's "It's not what your country can do for you" speech with "No, its not!".

On a general level, I think the vitriol Obama gets is similar to the level Bush got from the left, however the difference is the behavior by the politicians towards the President.

from across the pond and outside the issue it sure does resemble a political cage fight, red ribbon one at that.

sadly the tendency is for danish politicians to mimick their american counterparts somehwat, if it is done intentionaly or an effect of global politics and the economy in general i dont know.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 9:56 am

donnie_darko wrote:
Do you think since Obama has been elected, racism in America has made a comeback? I never heard people discussing race like this in the 90s or prior to 2008.

That would be a good question to ask the people that run the media. Shouldn't be as hard as it used to be, since there are fewer people on top.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 11:09 am

donnie_darko wrote:

Racism in the U.S. has never made a go-away, so why talk of come-back?

ruveyn

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 1:32 pm

Screaming racism is how the liberally biased media attempts to suppress any criticism of a piss poor presidents crappy policies. I can talk crap about Obama for weeks on end without touching the race card! :mrgreen:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 1:36 pm

Obviously racists are energized by a black president. What are they supposed to do? They're racists! Show some compassion.

This guy is my favorite racist. I like that he's like a cartoon villain.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Esocs9qPRY&feature=related[/youtube]

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 2:10 pm

I've heard several people say "Obama isn't really black, he's just mixed"

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 2:13 pm

Revival? It has always been there, it just waxes and wanes depending on who is in charge.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 2:16 pm

Look at racism this way its just like Aids their is no cure and it will not go away racism is alive in well in every country on the planet.