Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2012, 7:19 am

I'm curious to know if anyone else here has tried to be involved in radical politics. I'm very much a leftist (roughly Chomskyan) and I feel like I have a responsibility to speak out against injustice and try to make the world a better place, but I also feel like the social and emotional challenges of being an aspie make that...really, really unnecessarily hard.

if there's anyone else interested in or involved with radical politics I'm curious how you handle it. I've only very recently realized that I'm on the spectrum (10 years in therapy for depression/social anxiety disorder and somehow the ASD never came up :roll: ) and haven't really tried to do anything political from within the MI/ASD community, but I've tried to be involved with gay rights, the environment, feminism, and racial equality. it's ranged from mildly effective (I helped run a minor food drive for a few years) to completely awful. I'm good enough at "passing" for NT that people often don't notice that I'm not, and rarely understand when I suddenly have to be alone and can't handle much more than daily survival tasks for "no good reason". I feel like I also come on way too strong most of the times that I do get up on a soap box, and it's only since I was clued in to the Aspergers that going back and forth between offensively outspoken and painfully shy all the time has even made sense to me.

I've completely collapsed and had symptoms ranging from spontaneous facial paralysis to suicidal breakdowns from trying to work retail, yet I feel morally obligated to be involved in social justice advocacy. are there ways you've found to deal with your less adaptive aspie traits and get stuff done? I don't want to be the next Angela Davis or anything, but not feeling so useless would be nice.

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression