UK on the verge of committing an act of war...

Page 3 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 10:40 am

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
They don't have to storm the embassy to get him out. They just expel all the staff as persona non grata for aiding and abetting a fugitive, as international allows. Then turn off the electricity and water and sit back and wait.

It's going to be that easy to get him out. The UK are not going to let this go, either. He should just cut his losses, but I think the crowd of supporters outside the embassy has gone to his head. It's more glamorous to do the whole 'greeting adoring crowds on the balcony' thing.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 10:59 am

Well since it mentions the wanted to question him about allegations of rape....I have to say if he is in fact guilty of rape or sexual assault, maybe i do wish the U.S justice system on him. I mean sorry if I am not exactly empathetic about a possible rapist being 'afraid of being deported to the U.S.'

too bad it does not say for sure if he did or did not commit such crimes. Because I am kind of stuck between 'ha ha he got away with leaking the documents or whatever.' to 'I hope bad things happen to him.' Him possibly being a rapist kind of ruins his legendary internet hacker status that his supporters seem to think he has.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 11:07 am

Something to think about:

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david ... xtradition

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 11:11 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well since it mentions the wanted to question him about allegations of rape....I have to say if he is in fact guilty of rape or sexual assault, maybe i do wish the U.S justice system on him. I mean sorry if I am not exactly empathetic about a possible rapist being 'afraid of being deported to the U.S.'

too bad it does not say for sure if he did or did not commit such crimes. Because I am kind of stuck between 'ha ha he got away with leaking the documents or whatever.' to 'I hope bad things happen to him.' Him possibly being a rapist kind of ruins his legendary internet hacker status that his supporters seem to think he has.

The rape definition used in Sweden to charge Assange would not be criminal in the U.S.
He had sex with women without using a condom and lying about being monogamous.
This is bad behavior but he is not even being accused of what we in the U.S. calls rape.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 11:13 am

visagrunt wrote:
No embassy--not one single one of them--is on sovereign soil. Every embassy is the territory of the receiving State, in this case the United Kingdom. Embassies and the official residences of heads of mission are granted immunity, but that is an action by legislation of the receiving State, which is legally free to repeal that legislation, or suspend its application at any time.

Now, there are certainly consequences for that. But let's remember who violated the Vienna Convention first:

The Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, 1961 wrote:
Article 41

1.Without prejudice to their privileges and immunities, it is the duty of all persons enjoying such privileges and immunities to respect the laws and regulations of the receiving State. They also have a duty not to interfere in the internal affairs of that State.
3.The premises of the mission must not be used in any manner incompatible with the functions of the mission as laid down in the present Convention or by other rules of general international law or by any special agreements in force between the sending and the receiving State.

The execution of Sweden's request for extradition is an internal affair of the United Kingdom. The matter was adjudicated before the courts of England and Wales, and Mr. Assange attorned himself to the jurisdiction of those courts. Only when he lost did he seek to evade jurisdiction.

Nowhere in the Convention nor in customary international law is it provided that a diplomatic mission may be used as a means to harbour an individual who is seeking to evade the authorities of the receiving State. Ecuador is interposing itself between the Courts of England and Wales and an individual who is under the jurisdiction of those courts. It is an intolerable abuse of diplomatic immunity that is in now way saved by Mr. Assange's other actions.

they have not interfered in the internal affairs of that State… they have not acted actively. they have not invited him. they have not urged him to do so.

it was assange who seeked their help… they act upon this persons questions… rightfully and correct.

so no vienna convention is broken or violated here.

if the UK won't play by the rules, then it can be seen as an act of war in worst case.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 11:18 am

JakobVirgil wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

The rape definition used in Sweden to charge Assange would not be criminal in the U.S.
This is bad behavior but he is not even being accused of what we in the U.S. calls rape.

He had sex with a woman whilst she was asleep.

It would count as rape under English law, at least: http://jackofkent.com/2012/06/assange-w ... glish-law/

Also, I'd like to add that the woman involved in the condom case tried to reach out a grab a condom, but Assange prevented her from doing so by using his bodyweight.

Last edited by puddingmouse on 20 Aug 2012, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 11:28 am

Sorry for spamming this thread so much, but I'd like to add that I haven't made up my mind whether or not Assange is guilty regarding the rape charges. If and when he is tried in Sweden, the evidence prevented may be insufficient. He hasn't been charged yet as he hasn't made a statement. We haven't seen all the evidence, yet. I don't like it when people are declaring him guilty or innocent when they are not qualified to say so.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 12:18 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

He had sex with a woman whilst she was asleep.

It would count as rape under English law, at least: http://jackofkent.com/2012/06/assange-w ... glish-law/

Also, I'd like to add that the woman involved in the condom case tried to reach out a grab a condom, but Assange prevented her from doing so by using his bodyweight.

There should be a few more Allegedlys in that.
I am not a fan of Assange but this obviously has nothing to do with rape.
If it did the Swedes would have already questioned Assange or charged him.
This is about the U.S. exacting revenge.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 12:23 pm

I don't like the way people are dismissing the rape allegations as unimportant, though.

Sweden should interview him in the embassy, if it is possible. Though I believe they need to arrest him first, and I'm not sure if that requires him to be on Swedish soil. The way it works in Sweden is that they can't charge him until he is interviewed and arrested.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 12:25 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Well I highly doubt rape or sexual assult in Sweden is defined as having sex without a condom and lying about being monogamous...but I will go look it up. I am pretty sure there is only one definition of the word rape.

But rape or not I think this Julian Attentionwhore, is really just making a gigantic ass of himself and should just stop... I mean really hiding behind the Ecuador Embassy? and making a big scene about 'I am so important I shouldn't have to be investigated for crimes I've been accused of.' why he thinks he's so special I don't know and a good question is what does Ecuador think is so special about him that he's worth defending?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 12:28 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
I don't like the way people are dismissing the rape allegations as unimportant, though.

Sweden should interview him in the embassy, if it is possible. Though I believe they need to arrest him first, and I'm not sure if that requires him to be on Swedish soil. The way it works in Sweden is that they can't charge him until he is interviewed and arrested.

Why should accommodations be made for the man who should be rewarded with a 1st place ribbon for being the worlds biggest attentionwhore for the time being? He shouldn't be in the embassy he should be in an interrogation room and have to sit in a plastic chair instead of whatever fancy furniture they have in the embassy.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Aug 2012, 12:29 pm

puddingmouse wrote:

IIRC, while he was in Sweden he was pulled in for questioning but no charges were made, so the case was dropped and he was allowed to leave.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 12:31 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

Why should accommodations be made for the man who should be rewarded with a 1st place ribbon for being the worlds biggest attentionwhore for the time being?

To get his supporters to STFU about the conspiracy to extradite him to the US ( which I don't think is likely to happen for a long time, if it does happen).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 12:32 pm

Cornflake wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

IIRC, while he was in Sweden he was pulled in for questioning but no charges were made, so the case was dropped and he was allowed to leave.

Then why does Sweden want to question him further if they totally dropped the case and he was free to go?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 12:34 pm

Cornflake wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

I believe the investigation was still in its preliminary stages, and still is.

Does the fact that the case was dropped at first (before charges could be made) make the subsequent request for arrest invalid? I'm not knowledgeable on legal issues like this.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 12:35 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
(1)I don't like the way people are dismissing the rape allegations as unimportant, though.

I apologize and feel the same way I have no intentions to that effect. Maybe this is why they choose sex charges rather than shoplifting.

Sweden refuses to question him until he is Sweden they have a warrant for his questioning not his arrest.
If they question him in Britain they can not extradite him ( and then give him to the U.S.)