Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 10:52 am

Is America ready for a female president?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 11:00 am

I think so.

I think we would have had a woman sooner if it weren't for prohibition.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 11:02 am

Sarah Palin 2016!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 11:14 am

If we got Hillary in 2008 instead of the Obamanation, we would have been better off. I am no Hillary fan, but Obama is a disaster. Hillary would have only been a problem.

ruveyn

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 11:39 am

I'm not persuaded that America is ready for democracy, yet, let alone a female President.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 11:51 am

It would depend largely on her policies. For that reason Palin would be a disaster.

The UK had a female prime minister, and we're not necessarilly better off. Quite the contrary in almost all respects.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 2:34 pm

Of course. If Hillary had defeated Obama we'd have one now.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 2:55 pm

A female president?

Heck, the only president that America was ready for in the last 100 years was Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and even that claim is debatable.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 2:56 pm

ruveyn wrote:
If we got Hillary in 2008 instead of the Obamanation, we would have been better off. I am no Hillary fan, but Obama is a disaster. Hillary would have only been a problem.

ruveyn

This.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 2:56 pm

visagrunt wrote:
I'm not persuaded that America is ready for democracy, yet, let alone a female President.

Few countries are more democratic than the US.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 2:57 pm

Delphiki wrote:
Sarah Palin 2016!
Having Caribou Barbie as a running mate is what cost Geezer McCain the election in '08.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 2:59 pm

Fnord wrote:
Delphiki wrote:
Sarah Palin 2016!
Having Caribou Barbie as a running mate is what cost Geezer McCain the election in '08.

The fact that Obama is far more charismatic than McCain probably plays a vital role as well.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 3:03 pm

Kurgan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Delphiki wrote:
Sarah Palin 2016!
The fact that Obama is far more charismatic than McCain probably plays a vital role as well.

That too ... it is a popularity contest, after all.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 3:05 pm

Kurgan wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

Oh, come on. Are we talking about the same US that has introduced compulsory voter ID's effectively preventing 20% of the United States population having a vote?

Few times have I had the chance to use the word 'litotes' in the correct context.

Furthermore to claim monopoly over democracy is a ideollogically charged suggestion. It depends largely on your understanding of the word democracy, of which it has several connotations. They have democracy in China or Cuba, albeit the direct form not practised in western liberal plutocracies (By which i include the USA and EU states). Electing an overlord once every 4 years just so they can do a legislative 180 on the things they promised to get elected in the first place is not the be all and end all of democracy. Even if we apply the conventional WESTERN-capitalist understanding of the word, MANY countries are more democratic than the USA. Especially countries in continental Europe which regularly have voter turnouts exceeding half the population.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Aug 2012, 3:14 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

Oh, come on. Are we talking about the same US that has introduced compulsory voter ID's effectively preventing 20% of the United States population having a vote?

Few times have I had the chance to use the word 'litotes' in the correct context.

It depends largely on your understanding of the word democracy, of which it has several connotations. Even in the conventional understanding of the word, MANY countries are more democratic than the USA. Especially countries in continental Europe which regularly have voter turnouts exceeding half the population.

Did that number come out of your butt?

As for if we're ready for a female president, sure why not? I think they'll probably face certain prejudices that men wouldn't face but I don't see that changing. It shouldn't matter of a candidate is black/white, man/woman, Christian/Muslim, gay/straight etc if the espouse what you believe in.

Last edited by Jacoby on 29 Aug 2012, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 3:17 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

Oh, come on. Are we talking about the same US that has introduced compulsory voter ID's effectively preventing 20% of the United States population having a vote? ...

... and 80% of non-citizens (i.e., illegal immigrants) from voting at all?