No 50%  50%  [ 8 ]
Other (elaborate) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 5:04 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2 ... bassy.html

This decision came as something of a shock to many in Canada and the world. There is a lot of speculation going around- that the closure of our embassy there could be a prelude to a joint US-Israeli attack on the nation. Other concerns include the Iranian embassy tracking Iranian-Canadians and acting against them on Canadian soil or when they return to visit their country, and the embassy being used to control sleeper cells in Canada. Nothing seems completely clear at this point, but I am disappointed that our government really does not think diplomacy is going to work. I also question the consistency of Canada in enforcing this "moral principle towards diplomacy", since we still happily deal with Saudi Arabia, China, etc, nations with equally bad or worse human rights records. I have spoken to a few Iranian-Canadians about this and they are quite concerned and uncertain about the future of their fairly large community in Canada. In any case I would like to hear what everyone thinks of this matter.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 5:27 pm

Vigilans wrote:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/09/07/pol-baird-canada-iran-embassy.html

This decision came as something of a shock to many in Canada and the world. There is a lot of speculation going around- that the closure of our embassy there could be a prelude to a joint US-Israeli attack on the nation. Other concerns include the Iranian embassy tracking Iranian-Canadians and acting against them on Canadian soil or when they return to visit their country, and the embassy being used to control sleeper cells in Canada. Nothing seems completely clear at this point, but I am disappointed that our government really does not think diplomacy is going to work. I also question the consistency of Canada in enforcing this "moral principle towards diplomacy", since we still happily deal with Saudi Arabia, China, etc, nations with equally bad or worse human rights records. I have spoken to a few Iranian-Canadians about this and they are quite concerned and uncertain about the future of their fairly large community in Canada. In any case I would like to hear what everyone thinks of this matter.

I think Ahmoudinejad wants Israel to attack; it would give him justification to unleash a merciless counterstrike.

Unlike Iraq and Libya, Iran isn't a pushover that is going to back down easilly. If they dare attack it will get very ugly for both sides, if not the world. Theres a real chance of Russia getting drawn in and I think we know what that means.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 5:32 pm

So wait... you don't think a war with Iran is a good idea because of potential for global implications, but support cutting off diplomacy with them that could very well prevent such a scenario?

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 5:33 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/09/07/pol-baird-canada-iran-embassy.html

I think Ahmoudinejad wants Israel to attack; it would give him justification to unleash a merciless counterstrike.

Unlike Iraq and Libya, Iran isn't a pushover that is going to back down easilly. If they dare attack it will get very ugly for both sides, if not the world. Theres a real chance of Russia getting drawn in and I think we know what that means.
A possibility of world war 3 and also if Russia gets drawn in China may as well.Not to mention a massive influx of immigrants/refugees from those countries fleeing to the US and Canada and as a result recieving a great level of discrimination and or being rounded up into internmant camps etc.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 5:56 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

A possibility of world war 3 and also if Russia gets drawn in China may as well.Not to mention a massive influx of immigrants/refugees from those countries fleeing to the US and Canada and as a result recieving a great level of discrimination and or being rounded up into internmant camps etc.

I really don't think Russia will get into a shooting war with the west at this point, trade with us is too important, as is cultural exchange. They aren't associated with Iran due to ideology but because of convenience, in that they hold a major card in their favor and can expect something in return for their cooperation. If a third world war were to begin because of this situation with Iran, that would honestly be a really stupid thing on the part of everybody involved. Then again the same thing can be said for the First World War, so we'll see. I am not decided on whether Canada did the right thing yet. I'm waiting to see what Iran's promised "reprisals" are, now that the game is clear to everybody and not obscured by the thin veneer of international diplomacy.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 6:13 pm

Let's bear a few things in mind:

1) We haven't had an ambassador on the ground in Tehran for years. Even before we recalled our last ambassador we had no real access to government decision makers, our intelligence gathering capabilities were really no stronger than CNN's (well, since 2006, Fox News'), so the PERPA program (Political/Economic Relations and Public Affairs) was sitting, twiddling its collective thumbs.

2) We have virtually no trade relationship with Iran beyond personal trade conducted by Persian Canadians in their personal capacities. So the Trade Commissioner program had nothing to do.

3) Our ability to provide consular assistance to Canadians was virtually nil--particularly Persian-Canadians who were considered local nationals by the Iranian government.

So the only programs the were operating on any meaningful level were the Immigration program and the Administration program. Well, we can easily run the immigration program out of Ankara--we run lots of our immigration programs out of missions in third countries. And if the Administration program exists only to serve diplomats who can't actually get much of their jobs done, they why are we doing it?

Add to that the fact that the Iranians have done precisely nothing to improve security for foreign missions after the mob attack on the British Embassy last year (which was in a fortified compound, rather than our much more exposed location), and that Canada is one of the last remaining countries that was on the ground that supports Israel as a matter of explicit foreign policy, and the situation beings to look very dicey from the perspective of the safety and security of Canada based staff.

If you can't get anything done, then why put Canadians at risk? That $7million can be better spent deploying additional resources to Cairo, Damascus, Amman, Riyadh, Ramallah and Tel Aviv--where we can actually talk to the governments and administrations.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 6:41 pm

Quote:
Iran is among the world's worst violators of human rights. It shelters and materially supports terrorist groups,

:lol: Canada just now figured that out? :roll:

Only bad thing about this is, who's going to be there to rescue Americans when they get themselves into trouble in Iran now? :mrgreen:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 6:47 pm

Max000 wrote:
Quote:
Iran is among the world's worst violators of human rights. It shelters and materially supports terrorist groups,

Only bad thing about this is, who's going to be there to rescue Americans when they get themselves into trouble in Iran now? :mrgreen:

Jimmy Carter is no longer in charge so American can do it for themselves.

ruveyn

Last edited by ruveyn on 12 Sep 2012, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 11:56 am

I guess Canada is probably gonna bring troops into Iran when the US declares war.

Though oddly, Obama rebuked Israel recently. Is Canada becoming even crazier than the United States? :?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 11:57 am

Good for Canada. :)

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 12:24 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
I guess Canada is probably gonna bring troops into Iran when the US declares war.

Though oddly, Obama rebuked Israel recently. Is Canada becoming even crazier than the United States? :?

It'll be a foggy Friday before we commit troops to such an exercise. I'm not even sure we are in a position to participate in providing air cover after the beating that the CF18s took in Libya.

But that issue notwithstanding, I rate the likelihood of boots on the ground in Iran as slim to nil. The Israeli's may have an itchy trigger finger--but they also have an unknown quantity sitting next door in Egypt. Egypt and Saudi have not yet come to terms on the Arab world's relationship with Iran. Russia and the 'stans have some pretty pressing interests in the area. And finally, India is not going to sit by and watch the souce of 12% of its petroleum be threatened.

Iran is volatile, isolationist and dangerous. But any kind of military action is going to make those things worse.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 6:48 pm

This does not bode well.
I would look to see how many other major powers will be cutting off their ties in the coming months (esp. Britain, etc) - and watch for a pattern.
And wait for the propaganda campaign that will surely follow, if this is an attempt to escalate the situation.

Previously - the U.S. has never attacked anyone with nuclear deterrents. There has always been a lot of chest beating, coercing and maneuvering, but never an actual attack.

If they wanted to resolve this, then they would be using diplomatic means. Iran reacts in a tit for tat manner and always has. The fact that Canada don't want to use diplomatic means tells me that they are not after a solution, but either want to escalate the tension enough into Iran making the first move, or (and this is more likely) coerce them into meeting their demands.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 6:55 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Jg41szSg4&feature=related[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 12:26 am

ruveyn wrote:
Max000 wrote:
Quote:

Jimmy Carter is no longer in charge so American can do it for themselves.

You mean like just happened in Libya? :shrug:

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 2:02 am

Sanctions don't really work.

Countries that have free trade with each other are less likely to go to war.

Of course we'd be bombing the Martians right now, if it were politically viable.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 4:08 am

Max000 wrote:

You mean like just happened in Libya? :shrug:

Ooops. My blunder. Barak Obama is in charge.

When the history books are written, Jimmy Carter will seem virtuous compared to Barak Obama.

ruveyn