Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 3:06 pm

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/g ... man-empire

Quote:
Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) took to the House Floor today to declare that President Obama is helping to start a “new Ottoman Empire,” as seen in his decisions to end the war in Iraq, which Gohmert said means losing the war, and to topple Muammar Gaddafi’s dictatorship in Libya. Gohmert warned that we are witnessing the “massive beginning of a new Ottoman Empire that President Obama can take great credit for.” “Wow look what he has helped do in the Middle East, a new Ottoman Empire,” Gohmert said, “thank you President Barack Hussein Obama.” Gohmert added that he didn’t know if Obama is or is not a Christian, adding, “what I do know is that he has helped jump-start a new Ottoman Empire.”

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 3:08 pm

That guy is so well informed. If there is one thing that can be counted on, it is the unity of the Arab world

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 5:49 pm

Louie Gohmert looks like as much of an inbred goober as he really is. I mean, really, just look at the guy!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Sep 2012, 6:53 pm

Vigilans wrote:
That guy is so well informed. If there is one thing that can be counted on, it is the unity of the Arab world

There is more unity in the Arab world then I think a lot of people in the US realize. Many of the people don't see themselves in the national sense that we do but rather just Arabs or Muslims. Our adventures in the Middle East these last 10 years have brought the end to many of the nationalist regimes in the region. The goal of many of the Islamists that have filled the vacuum is for there to be a be new Caliphate over the entire Arab, Muslim, or entire globe.

Now the congressman's assertion the 'Ottoman Empire' is being rebuilt or the ridiculous notion that staying in Iraq has hurt us both seem pretty laughable.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 6:59 pm

The last time I checked, the Ottomans were Turkish, actually. And the largely Arab populace they ruled over very much resented them. Of course, I don't expect Gohmert to be able to tell the difference between a Turk and an Arab.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 7:02 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

There is more unity in the Arab world then I think a lot of people in the US realize. Many of the people don't see themselves in the national sense that we do but rather just Arabs or Muslims. Our adventures in the Middle East these last 10 years have brought the end to many of the nationalist regimes in the region. The goal of many of the Islamists that have filled the vacuum is for there to be a be new Caliphate over the entire Arab, Muslim, or entire globe.

Now the congressman's assertion the 'Ottoman Empire' is being rebuilt or the ridiculous notion that staying in Iraq has hurt us both seem pretty laughable.

Thus far attempts at Pan-Arabism have resulted in failure. I won't hold my breath waiting for a new Caliphate. If that is their choice to build one that is their right. I can see why the US would not like it though, as a unified middle east would have super power potential given enough time

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 7:02 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
The last time I checked, the Ottomans were Turkish, actually. And the largely Arab populace they ruled over very much resented them. Of course, I don't expect Gohmert to be able to tell the difference between a Turk and an Arab.

Interestingly enough Jews were treated much better under the Caliphs than under the kings and queens of Western, Central and Eastern Europe. Go figure :P

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 7:12 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Interestingly enough Jews were treated much better under the Caliphs than under the kings and queens of Western, Central and Eastern Europe. Go figure :P

Of course, you won't hear any of that from the religious right and Islamaphobes in this country. For them, the Muslims are always the bad guys.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 7:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Of course, you won't hear any of that from the religious right and Islamaphobes in this country. For them, the Muslims are always the bad guys.

Honestly I would not expect 90% of the US to know that, right or left

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 7:49 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Honestly I would not expect 90% of the US to know that, right or left

Sadly enough, that's probably true.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 8:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

That's not entirely true Kraichgauer, that Down Syndrome girl that nearly ended up on a path to being executed is a good example that debunks what you are saying.

If we want to talk about whom treats whom the best, the Jewish people generally have a better track record in the past few centuries than either Christians or Muslims.

The Israelis building walls, blockading, etc. Palestinians has nothing to do with religious intolerance, it has to do with the fact they are sick of suicide bombers. A lot of Israelis probably know people whom lost family members to suicide attacks.

The Jewish religion does not center on spreading Judaism all over the world, nor does it involve conquering the world; it focuses on the state of Israel.

Christianity does talk about spreading Christianity; Islam talks about the same. This leads to clashes instigated by one group of fanatics or the other; right now the situation is Muslim Fanatics are causing the problems. Several hundred years ago it was Christian fanatics.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 8:59 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

That's not entirely true Kraichgauer, that Down Syndrome girl that nearly ended up on a path to being executed is a good example that debunks what you are saying.

If we want to talk about whom treats whom the best, the Jewish people generally have a better track record in the past few centuries than either Christians or Muslims.

The Israelis building walls, blockading, etc. Palestinians has nothing to do with religious intolerance, it has to do with the fact they are sick of suicide bombers. A lot of Israelis probably know people whom lost family members to suicide attacks.

The Jewish religion does not center on spreading Judaism all over the world, nor does it involve conquering the world; it focuses on the state of Israel.

Christianity does talk about spreading Christianity; Islam talks about the same. This leads to clashes instigated by one group of fanatics or the other; right now the situation is Muslim Fanatics are causing the problems. Several hundred years ago it was Christian fanatics.

Isn't that Bill's point? The Muslims are always the bad guys?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 9:11 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:

It wasn't exactly a bunch of Catholic Nuns that flew airplanes into the twin towers on 9/11.

The problem you guys have is you often act as though the criticism of one group of Muslims (the fanatics), somehow translates to hating all Muslims, which it doesn't.

As a Conservative, I'm more than a little fed up with people like you trying to paint people like me as being somehow a hateful individual.

If even 1% of the Muslim population worldwide is radical jihadist, it translates to millions of fanatics. That is a simple fact considering there are about 1.5 billion Muslims in the world...

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 9:19 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

It wasn't exactly a bunch of Catholic Nuns that flew airplanes into the twin towers on 9/11.

The problem you guys have is you often act as though the criticism of one group of Muslims (the fanatics), somehow translates to hating all Muslims, which it doesn't.

As a Conservative, I'm more than a little fed up with people like you trying to paint people like me as being somehow a hateful individual.

If even 1% of the Muslim population worldwide is radical jihadist, it translates to millions of fanatics. That is a simple fact considering there are about 1.5 billion Muslims in the world...

Do you have anything nice to say about Moslems?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 9:35 pm

Well... the senator is right!

Obama has this crazy idea that the middle east belongs- to the people of the middle east!

So its all Obama's fault that the people of the middle east wont keep their grubby hands off of the middle east!

We need "leadership"-as romney put it. The american president's job is to shape the middle east to how we want it - because the middle east is our property after all!

Ok.. the middle east isnt really our property.

But our oil keeps getting stuck under the sands of the middle east!

And its all obama's fault!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 12:26 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I actually wasn't talking about modern Islamic society. Rather, if you look at the context of my remark, you'll find I was talking about the days when Jews had it better among Muslims than among Christians. That is, back in the Middle Ages, when Islamic lands were the focal point of civilization, while our ancestors wallowed in ignorance and religious fanaticism, and actually bathed a lot less often than did their Pre-Christian Barbarian ancestors.
I'm quite aware that modern Islamic society in Middle East, North Africa, and Central Asia bears little resemblance to the high culture of their ancestors.