Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 9:25 pm

This may be the most fundamental question one can ask oneself. Before investigating anything about the universe or whatever, it would be nice to know who or what one really is. According to some beliefs, there is an awareness or consciousness as our ground of being and when one's mind and heart are open to this one can experience this directly. The Hindu saint Ramana Maharshi wrote a book of teachings called Who Am I? and recommended meditation upon that question as a means to achieving enlightenment. The 20th century philosopher and spiritual entertainer Alan Watts told of a guru who, if someone were to ask who they were in a previous life, would reply "Who's asking?"

I wrote the lyrics and guitar picking parts to this song back in the 1980s but only finished the guitar strumming parts a couple months ago. Even though the song is called Entropy it really isn't about thermodynamics directly. This song asks questions about one's personal identity.

ENTROPY
(lyrics & music by The Bicycling Guitarist, Copyright ©1986)

Rounded rocks in course of stream
wearing down in course of time.
Of course I mean:
entropy, increasing to maximum.

Maybe I can stay the same.
Maybe I will never die,
but in what frame
of reference is my mind? How do I

find the answers to this quest?
Does it matter what they are?
Am I host or am I guest?

Here is a YouTube video of a recent live performance of this song.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3sQOlckeo8[/youtube]

Last edited by TheBicyclingGuitarist on 08 Nov 2012, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

03 Nov 2012, 12:19 am

Thought this was going to be a thread on Admiral Stockdale

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 12:43 am

Jacoby wrote:
Thought this was going to be a thread on Admiral Stockdale

Well this is the Politics, Philosophy, and Religion forum so this thread does fit here, only under Philosophy not Politics. Sorry to disappoint you. Thanks for mentioning Stockdale!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 1:07 am

When I first saw the topic title, the image that went through my mind was from the movie Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, where Victor Frankenstein (Kenneth Branaugh) comes face to face with his Monster (Robert Deniro) again, and part of their conversation goes as such:

Monster: "Who am I?"
Victor Frankenstein: "I... I don't know."

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 11:02 am

I think that its more the other way around.
Knowing 'who you are' is not a prerequisite for studying the outside world.

Studying the universe and the world is a prerequisite for knowing who you are.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 2:49 pm

@TheBicyclingGuitarist it is a fascinating topic on which I could make an extremely long post (or fifty) but I don't think PPR would be a suitable forum for an depth discussion. I'll just comment that I read Ramana Maharshi a very long time ago and also Alan Watts and various others and share similar views.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 3:36 pm

You know, I got notification that this thread had been rendered dead just this morning. Seems to be alive, to me.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 5:16 pm

The following is from the Wikipedia article on Ramana Maharshi:

Quote:
Ramana Maharshi maintained that the purest form of his teachings was the powerful silence which radiated from his presence and quieted the minds of those attuned to it. He gave verbal teachings for the benefit of those who could not understand his silence. His verbal teachings were said to flow from his direct experience of Atman as the only existing reality. When asked for advice, he recommended self-enquiry as the fastest path to liberation. Though his primary teaching is associated with Non-dualism, Advaita Vedanta, and Jnana yoga, he recommended Bhakti to those he saw were fit for it, and gave his approval to a variety of paths and practices.

I heard from other sources too that somehow without his saying a word people would be transformed when they came near to Ramana Maharshi, as if he radiated some type of psychic field where some people became more enlightened just by being near to him. Yeah I know it sounds like BS, but apparently quite a few people experienced this for whatever reason. Maybe it really happened, maybe not. I do not know.

One thing to keep in mind about spiritual teachings is that they, like everything, cannot truly be communicated using language alone. Direct experience cannot be transmitted in words. The same word has different shades of meaning to everyone who hears it, but more importantly: the map is not the territory, the finger pointing at the moon is not the moon. Alan Watts told of how some, when presented with the finger pointing at the moon, instead of following the hint would instead suck the finger for comfort.

What I think is cool about Hinduism is that they recognize not everyone is at the same level of awareness or has the same talents or interests as anyone else. So they recognize that there are different paths for different people (instead of saying there is only ONE way and it is the SAME way for everyone as some other religions claim). So for those who could receive his teachings of silence, that was enough. For others, Ramana would speak but he would address each questioner at the level of their understanding. This sometimes resulted in what seem to be contradictory statements from Ramana, where what he said to one person seems to contradict what he said to another. However, when you realize that he was talking to each person at their level the apparent contradictions disappear.