Should it be okay for women to smoke while pregnant?

Page 1 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 12:51 am

After all it's their body. And should men not be allowed to think that smoking while pregnant is wrong because they can never get pregnant?

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 1:53 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp55goEW82c&feature=related[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2012, 2:20 am

No.

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2012, 2:20 am

Smoking is bad.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 2:35 am

Jitro wrote:
After all it's their body. And should men not be allowed to think that smoking while pregnant is wrong because they can never get pregnant?

FFS.
Thought control is wrong. So is trying to make another person's body subservient to a third entity. Ok?

14 Nov 2012, 4:25 am

LKL wrote:
Jitro wrote:

FFS.
Thought control is wrong. So is trying to make another person's body subservient to a third entity. Ok?

This reminds me of fetal alcohol syndrome which is what happens when women drink while pregnant(and AFAIK the effects of FAS are quite a bit worse than smoking ciggies while pregnant). I say that it should be illegal for women to consume alcohol, tobacco, pot, or pretty much ANY kind of drug(regardless of legal status or known effects)when pregnant if she intends to keep the baby rather than get an early term abortion.

Women who break this law should be confined to some kind of place, not necessarily jail, where they can be monitored and denies access to the substances until they give birth. We can't allow women to ruin their childrens lives this way and society needs to take action.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 4:48 am

Goes for me the same as abortion. No its not good, but every way to try to control that would be absolutely ridiculous and against any right.

AspieRogue wrote:
Women who break this law should be confined to some kind of place, not necessarily jail, where they can be monitored and denies access to the substances until they give birth. We can't allow women to ruin their childrens lives this way and society needs to take action.

You can try to convince someone but if it doesnt work you just have to accept it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 5:16 am

Jitro wrote:

There should not be any legal impediment to pregnant women smoking, but if the women cares about the health of the child she is likely to bear, she should seriously consider quitting while pregnant.

ruveyn

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 5:22 am

I think it's dumb if she intends to keep the baby, but I can't really go around ripping cigarettes out of every pregnant woman's mouth now can I?

You will reap what you've sown.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 5:24 am

abacacus wrote:
I think it's dumb if she intends to keep the baby, but I can't really go around ripping cigarettes out of every pregnant woman's mouth now can I?

That is right. The only course of action is to convince pregnant women not to smoke for the sake of her soon to be born child's health.

ruveyn

robo37
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 5:48 am

ruveyn wrote:
abacacus wrote:

That is right. The only course of action is to convince pregnant women not to smoke for the sake of her soon to be born child's health.

ruveyn

Or chanage the law to allow for that, after all she is effecting a person's entire life.

The law can be something as small as a fine seeing as how it's doesn't effect a person's life as much as some other drugs.

Alas it probably would be illegal if it didn't contradict with abortion laws. That said people have the right to take away the whole "what you do with your body is up to you" rule for anorexic and suicidal people which contradicts with abortion so it does seem to be one rule for one person and another for another.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 7:14 am

Quote:
Or chanage the law to allow for that, after all she is effecting a person's entire life.

Sorry, but the US environmental pollution is affecting not only one person, but a whole planet, including every child born on this planet. Still i think everybody would agree that it would be quiet idiotic to discuss if we should invent some laws to jail the citizens of the United States. No other country produces more pollution/citizen then the United States. So recording to you, the only right thing to do for you, would be to let yourself getting jailed by me, so i can ensure you cannot pollute my children anymore for useless consum s**t. I´d be happy ybout it but picture or it didn´t happen. ^^

Sorry, but it seems for me personally, that all that exreme topics are just about having fun being a fanatic. If you would really be interested in negative effects on children then you would not focus just on the topic "innocent unborn babies i, the paladin of USAria, sparkle in the dark" have to protect but on thousend of other things thats negative effecting children too. Capitalism, the food mafia, lousy school systems, the worldwide environmental politic leading to negative effects to all our children in the whole world, waste of ressources that belongs to our children, medical insurance depending on their parents income, social and advertisial pressure trying to force our children to bath in chemicals in cosmetica, wearing crippling shoes, being slaves of consume, depending their self esteem on being the best consume slave of all, killing our innerself through years of unnecessary hormon therapy, right now in this moment crippling the water reserves of the coming generations just to pull out more useless oil out of the earth, killing the corall riffs, main producer of plankton, which is the main food of everything living in the sea . And dont even try do discuss that topic with me, i´m engineer for environmental technique.

Actually, what we all are doing is making a gigantic piece of poo right on the heads of all our children, so gigantic, that we should train our children how to swim in s**t to prevent them from drowningt. And what for? I-Phones. Being the alpha chimp. *head -> desk"

So if you would really be thinking, that there should be laws to allow arresting people, causing negative effects on children, where are your petitions? Where is your scream out of outrage on all the negative effects we are all causing? Where is your demonstration for the arrest of george bush for ignoring the kyoto protocols? Sorry, but for me it seems you are just a hypocrite, pretending to be fanatically interested in other people but in reality just using random topics to grouse around to feel importance. Its not about any topic, its just about grousing and trolling.

I mena if you really meant your proposal, and just didnt mention it to troll around, so how did you think of controlling that law? Installing cameras in every private house? O_o Sorry, in europe i am supposed to be called conservative, but that lousy arguments, pretending to discuss when just sabbling around, its just overwhelming.

Last edited by Schneekugel on 14 Nov 2012, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 7:27 am

ruveyn wrote:
abacacus wrote:

ruveyn
And I mean, duh.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 8:11 am

Smoking is not okay under any circumstances.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 8:14 am

While it's not ok there is nothing that can be done to stop a pregnant woman from smoking. How would you even stop them?

My mother smoked when she was pregnant with me and still smokes.

14 Nov 2012, 8:31 am

Schneekugel wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, but the US environmental pollution is affecting not only one person, but a whole planet, including every child born on this planet. Still i think everybody would agree that it would be quiet idiotic to discuss if we should invent some laws to jail the citizens of the United States. No other country produces more pollution/citizen then the United States. So recording to you, the only right thing to do for you, would be to let yourself getting jailed by me, so i can ensure you cannot pollute my children anymore for useless consum sh**. I´d be happy ybout it but picture or it didn´t happen. ^^

First of all, the effects of a woman smoking ANYTHING(tobacco, pot, crack, etc) are far more profound that how US environmental pollution affects children around the world. The chemicals in tobacco go directly into her bloodstream to which the unborn baby shares. FYI: There are quite a few countries which are far worse polluters than US.

There is nothing about making it illegal to smoke or drink during pregnancy that is in conflict with abortion rights. If she intends to keep the baby then she cannot be allowed to ruin her kids life because of her own stupidity. ruveyn's comment about how there should be no legal impediment shows the abysmal stupidity of libertarianism.