Catholic question Fasting in Friday during sickness

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 4:24 am

Doss abstinence from eating meat in Friday is valid when I have a cold
My mom says that abstinence from meat on Fridays does not apply when I'm sick.
In past has not always obeyed the rules of my religion, but for some time I started to care more about my spiritual life

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 10:26 am

The Bible doesn't say that you can't eat meat on Fridays. So, live a little, and chow down on some animal protein.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 10:55 am

The current regulations concerning Lenten fasting and abstinence for Roman Catholics in the United States generally are as follows.
Abstinence from all meat is to be observed by all Roman Catholics 14 years old and older on Ash Wednesday, on all Fridays of Lent, and on Good Friday (which is not part of Lent, but rather part of the three day Paschal Triduum).
Fasting is to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday by all Roman Catholics who are 18 years of age but not yet 59.
For Roman Catholics whose health or ability to work would be negatively affected by fasting and/or abstinence, the regulations above don't apply. If a Friday in Lent coincides with a solemnity, the abstinence is not required. The bishop of a diocese can modify these rules for Roman Catholics in his diocese; for example, it is not uncommon for a bishop of a diocese in the United States to give dispensations from the normal Lenten regulations if St. Patrick's Day (March 17) falls on a Friday during Lent.

From the Wikipedia, not the best of sources, but it should count for something. So if you're sick, then you don't need to fast. According to Catholic Church doctrine, which I read about a bit on the sources of that article, if you really wish to do some kind of penance, you may choose to give up something else instead for that day, like beer, or whatever is it you enjoy.

I don't get why would someone make their life harder because it's Friday, but you're interested in the Catholic Church opinion, not mine.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 11:58 am

Shatbat wrote:
The current regulations concerning Lenten fasting and abstinence for Roman Catholics in the United States generally are as follows.
Abstinence from all meat is to be observed by all Roman Catholics 14 years old and older on Ash Wednesday, on all Fridays of Lent, and on Good Friday (which is not part of Lent, but rather part of the three day Paschal Triduum).
Fasting is to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday by all Roman Catholics who are 18 years of age but not yet 59.
For Roman Catholics whose health or ability to work would be negatively affected by fasting and/or abstinence, the regulations above don't apply. If a Friday in Lent coincides with a solemnity, the abstinence is not required. The bishop of a diocese can modify these rules for Roman Catholics in his diocese; for example, it is not uncommon for a bishop of a diocese in the United States to give dispensations from the normal Lenten regulations if St. Patrick's Day (March 17) falls on a Friday during Lent.

From the Wikipedia, not the best of sources, but it should count for something. So if you're sick, then you don't need to fast. According to Catholic Church doctrine, which I read about a bit on the sources of that article, if you really wish to do some kind of penance, you may choose to give up something else instead for that day, like beer, or whatever is it you enjoy.

I don't get why would someone make their life harder because it's Friday, but you're interested in the Catholic Church opinion, not mine.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 12:29 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
The Bible doesn't say that you can't eat meat on Fridays. So, live a little, and chow down on some animal protein.

But the Bible does say we should all carry a little shovel with which to bury our poops.

How many Christians (or Jews even) do that?

ruveyn

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 12:50 pm

I'm Orthodox, and I'm surprised to see that in other countries Roman Catholics still fast. I suck at fasting and don't do it much, though. Orthodox has pretty hardcore fasting schedules, Wednesdays and Fridays, and the Nativity Fast starts about now, and the Pascha fast, too. Basically, the best thing you can do is ask your priest about it. It gets a bit stereotypical as people always ask stuff on the Orthodox forums and people are like "lol ask ur priest noob." But the reason you ask your priest is so you're not just making up stuff as you go along, and that it's still being done in humility. That said, if your mother already made you like, a bowl of chicken soup or something, just eat it. It's considered a worse sin if I understand correctly, to not eat something offered to you in hospitality than it is to break the fast. This also applies to like, if you're eating at someone's house. Don't make a big deal out of it. Just eat what they give you. "Do not be like the Pharisees..." having your fasting be seen by others.

This is a story of St. Moses the Black, a Coptic Saint.

Quote:
The abbot ordered the brothers to fast during a particular week. Some brothers came to Moses, and he prepared a meal for them. Neighboring monks reported to the abbot that Moses was breaking the fast. When they came to confront Moses, they changed their minds, saying "You did not keep a human commandment, but it was so that you might keep the divine commandment of hospitality." Some see in this account one of the earliest allusions to the Paschal fast, which developed at this time.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 1:42 am

ruveyn wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

But the Bible does say we should all carry a little shovel with which to bury our poops.

ruveyn

Well, when I used to go out camping, I'd do just that.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 8:38 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

ruveyn

You're a good Christian indeed.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 4:35 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

ruveyn

You're a good Christian indeed.

I try. :lol: