You don't get to be agnostic towards specific myths.

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 12:34 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Why would God work on an issue for 20 thousand years??? An omniscient and omnipotent being doesn't need 20,000 years to figure out and implement a solution. EVER.

Was the Old Testament Yahweh a non-omnipotent being which lived above the firmament?

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 12:35 am

bigwheel wrote:
No I dont do stuff like that. I prefer to discuss weighty issues with humans. I try to never argue or argufiy as some might say. :)

Yeah. Coming up with and stating reasons to justify beliefs is for wussies, eh?

Nikolai-12
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Nov 2012, 12:51 am

I agree with your statement to a degree . I am a spiritual agnostic, and will remain so until answers are presented before myself which will most likely be in death. As for deism it is possible that someday deism will be proven correct or incorrect the belief that by observation of the natural laws, and the structure of the universe itself posits the belief that it is the product of a transcendent energies creative abilities. This brings into question whether or not strong agnosticism is true or not if it is then no one will ever know whether a deity or a group of deities exist or not therefore implying to me that death is the end. If weak agnosticism is true then deism can possibly be proven correct someday. As for myths even the ones that are disproven scientifically they are as real as the mind makes them I can be agnostic to them while still knowing that they are scientifically incorrect because it is real to them, and exists to them, and the mind is a very mysterious entity. According to quantum mechanics observation creates reality well if this is true then their subjective observation that the myth is true subsequently makes it true to them thereby validating my agnosticism towards it in that it is real to them because their consciousness perceives it, and according to quantum mechanics reality is basically an infinite amount of possibilities without conscious entities to observe it.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 1:30 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
Was the Old Testament Yahweh a non-omnipotent being which lived above the firmament?

Is the Bible consistent, or is theology only(and could only possibly be) a creation of human beings who pull on aspects of the picture found in a scripture, string them together with philosophical notions, and put it together?

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 3:48 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
bigwheel wrote:
Well a smart person should immediately get clued in that the Paradoxes (contradictions for heathens) of the Holy Bible..are a sole example of similar ilk which under gird various world religious systems. Meaning the off brand writings make perfect sense from a human perspective. The Bible sometimes often dont. Thats a clue. God is transcendental i.e. residing outside of His Creation. He works on all dirmensions. He can bisect our time line where he wants. Thats why we can pray about something and he can work on the issue for twenty thousand years and give results in 30 seconds. Its sorta scary huh?

Why would God work on an issue for 20 thousand years??? An omniscient and omnipotent being doesn't need 20,000 years to figure out and implement a solution. EVER.

I mean, are you going to argue that the Bible denies God omniscience and omnipotence?

I can't make sense of most of the rest of what you said.

If God can work out a solution 20,000 and answer in 30 seconds, then the realm God occupies must be something akin to what Stephen Hawking was talking about, wick transformation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_time

I agree, God doesn't need 20,000 years to construct a solution to anything in the natural world. I think BigWheel is speaking illustratively, to fathom the ability of a God to fully comprehend every mechanism in the human brain with the various chemicals firing, reacting, reorganizing, where the mind goes, the nervous system, your entire physical reaction from your increase pace of your heart, your perception of sound, light, the situation, the people in your vicinity, observing you or not. If a human being were to go through analyzing every aspect of the physical body from the molecular level on up, it would take 20,000 years to fully analyze.

But entertaining the notion that God exists, and that this God made humans in its image, it is arguable that the human future is not fully knowable. Most of it probably can be, but not until the human thinks it mentally and follows through physically.

Nikolai-12
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Nov 2012, 12:15 pm

In my personal opinion I do not think that any physical notion or scientific law or anything a human can conjure up in it's mind can be applied to the transcendental. I think personally that all of the religions of the world, and all of the beliefs may actually be entirely different from whats out there, and I am not saying that people who follow those religions are wrong I am just saying my personal belief on it. I think everyone has a niche in which they find their happiness in a certain religion or philosophy, and that it is good. I just think personally that whatever is out there is probably infinitely beyond our imaginations. Which is really exciting to me because who knows someday we may find out what is out there, but until then I must remain agnostic. I absolutely love discussing the possibilities though it is rather fun.

bigwheel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2012, 2:17 pm

Good point Sir. As the Apostle Paul tells us, "But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God." 1 Corinthians 2:9-10
The Holy Spirit will be glad to show you what is out there. That would also cure your agnosticism. That is an "ism" that needs to be a "was'm" to borrow an old phrase.

Nikolai-12 wrote:
In my personal opinion I do not think that any physical notion or scientific law or anything a human can conjure up in it's mind can be applied to the transcendental. I think personally that all of the religions of the world, and all of the beliefs may actually be entirely different from whats out there, and I am not saying that people who follow those religions are wrong I am just saying my personal belief on it. I think everyone has a niche in which they find their happiness in a certain religion or philosophy, and that it is good. I just think personally that whatever is out there is probably infinitely beyond our imaginations. Which is really exciting to me because who knows someday we may find out what is out there, but until then I must remain agnostic. I absolutely love discussing the possibilities though it is rather fun.

Satanist
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Nov 2012, 2:29 pm

Most of my friends, who are Agnostic are practicing Satanists.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2013, 10:58 am

Quote:
Let me share you an example, it is Christianity. Christianity makes strong assertions, and assertions that can be proven false. When an agnostic claims "we do not know all about the universe, so maybe there is a god and we can't know that for sure". It does not apply to the Christian god.

Let me list some strong assertions made by Christianity. Assertions that are false.
- Earth is not 6000 years old (I guess some people have not received the memo). This is a scientific fact.
- The whole theory of creation by the bible is inconsistent with all of our current evidence.
- If there is a deity, we can tell it is nothing like the deity described by Christianity. We can know for sure that the claim that this deity responds to prayer is false. Simply reunite a bunch of very faithful believers and ask them to pray for god to heal an amputee.
- In the more specific beliefs, like subsets like Catholicism it is easy to show that bread does not convert into meat.
- It is also easy to test the assertion that god is simultaneously omniscient, omnipotent and good. The question of why there is evil in the world is easily answered.

OK, let me get this correct. You honestly believe that proving wrong these assertions automatically means that any version of the Judeo-christain god MUSTN'T be real? None of the assertions you have has shown wrong the existence of anything but a simultaneously omniscient, omnipotent and good god. Claiming that the earth is obviously not 6000 years old and that is evidence against the existence of a deity, is as crazy as claiming that Asbestos gives you Mesothelioma, therefore aliens don't exist.

If I were to take out all of your claims that are pointless in an argument against existence of a specific super-natural being, it'll look like this:

Quote:
- It is also easy to test the assertion that god is simultaneously omniscient, omnipotent and good. The question of why there is evil in the world is easily answered.

And that isn't a very good looking list. Too short.

Quote:
"It would be severely anti-scientific and irrational to be "agnostic" towards specific myths that do make strong assertions that can be proven false. No, being agnostic in regards to those things is not the "middle ground". Because you are willingly ignoring evidence against things. "

Proving wrong the assertions of a religion does not automatically prove wrong a divine being.

Anti-scientific? Science grows on the foundations of "I don't know." Agnosticism is the default position of every scientific notion, and stays with that scientific notion until evidence is received to alter it from agnostic to gnostic. But we never have all the answers, and scientists are not afraid to say "I don't know." Even well-renown scientist Carl Sagan was agnostic about the existence of extra-terrestrial life, he said in The Burden of Skepticism:

Quote:
"I'm often asked the question, "Do you think there is extraterrestrial intelligence?" I give the standard arguments -- there are a lot of places out there, and use the word billions, and so on. And then I say it would be astonishing to me if there weren't extraterrestrial intelligence, but of course there is as yet no compelling evidence for it. And then I'm asked, "Yeah, but what do you really think?" I say, "I just told you what I really think." "Yeah, but what's your gut feeling?" But I try not to think with my gut. Really, it's okay to reserve judgment until the evidence is in."

Agnostics like myself and Carl Sagan generally wait until enough enough evidence is in to fully claim one side or another on a certain topic. Certain gods are illogical to exist, but there are many versions of these gods, one of them might very well exist.

Quote:
However, and this is something that has been bugging me. This argument has been in use by people with belief in specific myths. Or perhaps an agnostic claiming this could confuse some people and make them belief that since science does not have all the answers it is fine for them to believe in their specific myth.

That's not our problem. Science does not have all the answers, but I am not going to go searching for beings that are most likely not true, nor will I fight against beings that may very well be true. I am free to work on numerous other topics regarding numerous subjects, and not just make a silly case for or against anything without proper tangible evidence for or against.

AQ: 36