Nope 67%  67%  [ 28 ]
Just display the results 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 42

NAKnight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2013, 9:33 pm

I'm gonna quote an article I read by a person I follow;

Is life a gift with a transcendent purpose to be fulfilled, or do we own ourselves and have the right to do with our bodies whatever we please?

This question can be answered in part with a little reflection. Why do we feel compelled to talk someone out of suicide? Why try to dissuade them? The reason is that we have an intuitive sense that life has transcendent purpose. We're so sure of this that we try to stop people from killing themselves and "wasting" their lives.

A life can only be wasted if it has a purpose that is never fulfilled. If there is no purpose in life, there is no tragedy when a child is struck down in infancy, or when high school students are killed in a plane crash, or when 39 people commit suicide to fulfill a cultic hope.

Notice that the notion of "untimely death" here has no relation to the person's own subjective goals. The goal of a suicidal person is to die, a purpose he fulfills if he takes his life. An infant who dies unexpectedly has no goals or aspirations of his own. Yet in both cases we have this nagging suspicion that something is wrong.

Our sense of tragedy lies in our conviction that these people did not fulfill some larger purpose in life, one bigger than their own temporal wants and desires. If such a purpose exists--and our intuitions suggest that it does--then it isn't the case that our lives are our own to do with as we please.

God has made it clear that we are not the masters of our own lives. Our existence is not a thing we own, but a sacred life we are entrusted with. The commandment "Thou shall not murder" forbids us to take an innocent human life. It applies to taking our own lives and not just lives of others.

There's a reason for this. The fifth commandment was given not because murder violates personal liberty by taking something that belongs to someone, his life. That's covered in the seventh commandment, "Thou shalt not steal." Instead, it prohibits the unwarranted destruction of a human being because he's made in the image of God (see Genesis 9:6). Murder is primarily a crime against God.

Best Regards,

Jake

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 9:59 pm

If the Judeo-Christian God is indeed a deity of love and compassion, I can't believe someone who is so mentally or emotionally distraught as to take his or her life would be damned to hell.
Though the fact that the person who commits suicide leaves behind people who are left emotionally shattered and bewildered, the dead in this case might be held accountable for what they've done to their loved ones.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 10:06 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
If the Judeo-Christian God is indeed a deity of love and compassion, I can't believe someone who is so mentally or emotionally distraught as to take his or her life would be damned to hell.
Though the fact that the person who commits suicide leaves behind people who are left emotionally shattered and bewildered, the dead in this case might be held accountable for what they've done to their loved ones.

Correct.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 1:09 am

Terminology problem - sin is specific to outlooks that would absolutely maintain that to commit suicide - if not an act of valor or saving another's life - would almost certainly put you on the Vaseline-coated chute to hell.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 1:13 am

shrox wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Correct.

I just finished Numbers tonight and :pale: I don't think I'd so much as pick up a fork the wrong way in front of his manifestation in the OT.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 1:15 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
shrox wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Correct.

I just finished Numbers tonight and :pale: I don't think I'd so much as pick up a fork the wrong way in front of his manifestation in the OT.

Oh, wasn't Leviticus pure joy!

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 1:26 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

I guess it's another question what 'hell' is and whether one can be forcefully plunged into it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 1:45 am

TheValk wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I guess it's another question what 'hell' is and whether one can be forcefully plunged into it.

Where Cenobites dwell, and torture those who have opened the Puzzle Box for all eternity.

Or for a more traditional view I was raised with - where those who reject God's freely given grace land themselves in by instead choosing their flawed human natures.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 2:06 am

Does sin exist.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 2:54 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Does sin exist.

I would think so. Especially when you're talking about deliberately hurting someone else.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 4:06 am

I don't accept the concept of "sin". I accept humans have moral values but the word "sin" implies religious overtones which I don't accept. So just because religion declares something to be a sin I do not necessarily find it to be immoral.

Regarding suicide I don't give a fig what Christianity says about the subject as I don't recognise Christianity as an authority.

If someone is suffering ongoing physical or emotional pain that cannot be remedied by medicine or changes in that person's lifestyle then I believe that person has the right to off themselves provided they do it in a manner whereby nobody else is hurt e.g. shooting themselves, hanging, poisoning etc rather than driving a car into oncoming traffic.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 4:10 am

TallyMan wrote:
I don't accept the concept of "sin". I accept humans have moral values but the word "sin" implies religious overtones which I don't accept. So just because religion declares something to be a sin I do not necessarily find it to be immoral.

Regarding suicide I don't give a fig what Christianity says about the subject as I don't recognise Christianity as an authority.

If someone is suffering ongoing physical or emotional pain that cannot be remedied by medicine or changes in that person's lifestyle then I believe that person has the right to off themselves provided they do it in a manner whereby nobody else is hurt e.g. shooting themselves, hanging, poisoning etc rather than driving a car into oncoming traffic.

But then what would you call it when someone purposely hurts - even kills - another person?
Trust me, I'm not trying to start a fight here, or imply that you're wrong. I just want to know what your opinion of that is.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 4:16 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

But then what would you call it when someone purposely hurts - even kills - another person?
Trust me, I'm not trying to start a fight here, or imply that you're wrong. I just want to know what your opinion of that is.

Murder is immoral and very wrong. I don't need a bible to tell me that - or rather whatever the bible says on the subject is irrelevant to me anyway.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 4:19 am

The question itself is not complete, because i am missing the answer "There is no such thing as a sin, as a sin is based on religious believes, and as religion are fairytales, so are sins."

So my answer would be, that suicided is no sin, but not because i think its not a sin, but because there are no such things as sins, so absolutely nothing is a sin.

Quote:
It is something, that we as human beings have chosen to be disturbing in our society and not wanted from the average of people. Its a crime. Sin is something a god forbids you, crime is something a human society forbids you.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 7:39 am

shrox wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
shrox wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Correct.

Oh, wasn't Leviticus pure joy!

Still not as rough a ride. Leviticus was a list of laws and government as well as mentions of how Hittites, Hivites, and Canaanites partied as well as how well life would/wouldn't work if the Israelites rolled like they did. Numbers was first administration, so that came with shock and awe as well as constant requests for more shock and awe in a way that just floored me (it almost seemed to turn into a Darwin Awards). I can tell in a lot of ways though that these were times of human behavior that's incredibly difficult for a 2000ish Westerner to get their heads around.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 8:21 am

^ Great stuff to read. Notice: not a word against suicide.