Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 12:05 am

Dantac wrote:
It worries me when ANY kind of religion-following person (practicing not just believing in one) is in office.

Thats why im so glad Romney didn't win... and that Santorum didn't make it to the ballot.

What would you think of a western politician who regularly wore a ring with the shahadda (sp?) embossed on it?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 12:23 am

John_Browning wrote:
Dantac wrote:
It worries me when ANY kind of religion-following person (practicing not just believing in one) is in office.

Thats why im so glad Romney didn't win... and that Santorum didn't make it to the ballot.

What would you think of a western politician who regularly wore a ring with the shahadda (sp?) embossed on it?

Shahadda? What dat?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 3:10 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
Dantac wrote:

Shahadda? What dat?

The public proclamation statement of one's faith in Islam.

-Sigmund Freud

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 4:09 am

John_Browning wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
Dantac wrote:

Shahadda? What dat?

Thank you for that info.
As for would I like having a politician walking around with such a ring - the answer to that is, it really depends on what kind of Islam we're talking about.
If this hypothetical politician had converted to the more intolerant form of Islam, I would most assuredly feel some apprehension. But on the other hand, if we're talking about someone like Congressman Keith Ellison, who had converted to a more moderate form of American Islam while in college, and has since gone on to standing for tolerance in American society, then I have no problem.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 1:25 pm

It's a good thing different regressive dominionist sects seem to hate each other more than they hate human progress. During the Inquisition the Catholic Church killed as many people belonging to "heretical" Christian sects as they did Jews, Muslims, or Pagans. Today Sunni and Shiite Muslims manage to kill each other more than they kill secular infidels. If all the world's backwards fundamentalists and racists teamed up against all the sane human beings things would be very dark. Luckily they don't have any practical sense and are unwilling to choose their battles more wisely. Divided they choke.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2013, 11:37 pm

Despite agreeing with most posts on here about unsettling similarities between certain far right individuals and islamists, I do not think all euroskeptics and nationalists should be demonized or labelled as far right. There are reasons why some people have voted for them, even if they were only chosen because they were the "least worse".

An increasing percentage of euroskeptic voters who try to stay informed about issues that have become or are becoming worrysome think they can no longer trust "left wing" leaders to make the correct decisions. Neither could they trust leaders on "the right" who only care about the EU, the atlantic alliance, and other alliances that erode the freedom of sovereign countries to resist certain forms of globalization and act responsibly and ethically towards other countries against injustices. Choosing different leaders may not solve this entirely, yet staying in the EU will only push us further into an abyss and we must become adequately self sufficient in order to resist.

Since immigration and other issues mostly concerning only domestic policies have already been discussed extensively, those unfamiliar with euroskeptic movements in countries such as France and the U.K., should note that euroskepticism is also motivated by opposition to certain foreign policies initiated or condoned by the EU which are unethical or a threat to national security. The complicity of the EU in careless decisions in "the middle east" or what is referred to as "Eastern Europe" makes it completely undeserving of the peace prize.

(to be continued once I have time)

Last edited by petitesouris on 16 Mar 2013, 1:34 am, edited 8 times in total.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 12:19 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Shahadda? What dat?

Thank you for that info.
As for would I like having a politician walking around with such a ring - the answer to that is, it really depends on what kind of Islam we're talking about.
If this hypothetical politician had converted to the more intolerant form of Islam, I would most assuredly feel some apprehension. But on the other hand, if we're talking about someone like Congressman Keith Ellison, who had converted to a more moderate form of American Islam while in college, and has since gone on to standing for tolerance in American society, then I have no problem.

What if such a politician was known to keep militant friends?

-Sigmund Freud