First atheist church congregation evicted by Christians

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 9:32 am

Quote:
Sunday Assembly pastor claims UK’s first atheist congregation evicted from church by moralistic Christians

The pastor of Britain’s first atheist church, the Sunday Assembly, has claimed his congregation has been kicked out of the church they were using to worship by “moralistic” Christians.

The Sunday Assembly has garnered worldwide attention since comedians Sanderson Jones, from Upper Clapton and Pippa Evans from Stockwell launched it in January to celebrate the wonder of life.

With a tag line “live better, help often, wonder more”, tracks like Bill Withers’ Lean on Me have replaced hymns, and the concept has proved so popular a morning and afternoon service had to be held in St Paul’s Church deconsecrated Nave, which has a capacity of 200.

Now that sounds like the sort of church I could go to!

Aside from giving me a giggle, Sanderson sounds like a very funny and entertaining man. Best of luck to him.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 9:48 am

If the owner of the church had no extended lease with the renter, he has the legal right to ask the renter to leave.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 9:48 am

I guess they'll have to raise money to build their own building. Maybe they could have a cake sale.

Don't worry, the Lord will prov- never mind.

I'm surprised at you though, Tequila. I would have thought you would have said something about renting a Mosque's building next time...

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 10:14 am

Magneto wrote:
I'm surprised at you though, Tequila. I would have thought you would have said something about renting a Mosque's building next time...

We're nowhere near at that stage yet.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 10:31 am

Maybe the Christians are scared this could become successful?

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 1:46 pm

I wonder what they do at their "church".

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 1:47 pm

CSBurks wrote:
I wonder what they do at their "church".

A nice rational discussion on religion with beer and pork scratchings for the men and cheese and wine for the ladies?

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 2:08 pm

My guess is such a gathering might feature Philosophy and of course appreciation for Science.

I wonder if this group could find a more receptive meeting place like a UU Church?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 2:59 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
Maybe the Christians are scared this could become successful?

Maybe they were already more successful than the Christian church, if you count "successful" as having more members and a larger income.