Nigel Farage's Common Sense tour of England

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 11:13 am

Anyone else going to have a look at one of the meetings? Apparently, they're extremely busy.

Here's the list of the places he's going to:

Quote:
Yesterday
Callington
Taunton
Tiverton

Today
Lydney
Worcester

Tomorrow

Newcastle-under-Lyme
Stone
Marston
Oswaldtwistle

Friday, April 5

Carlisle
Newcastle
Gravesend

Saturday, April 6

Newcastle
Durham
Chester-le-Street
Prudhoe
Hexham
Morpeth

Monday, April 8

Scarborough
Harrogate

Tuesday, April 9

Gainsborough
Lincoln
Boston

Wednesday, April 10

Peterborough
Corby
Kettering
Huntingdon
St Ives
Ramsey
Holt

Thursday, April 11

Hertford
Aylesbury
Stoke Mandeville
Wendover
South Heath

Friday, April 12

Tunbridge Wells
Oxted (Public meeting, Oxted School, 7.30pm)

I'll be going to one of the meetings. I'll record it and bung it up on YouTube and I'll share here. :)

Last edited by Tequila on 03 Apr 2013, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 12:20 pm

When I hear the phrase "Common Sense" from a politician, I file him or her away in the Evil category. The Lord of E. Coli himself in Ontario, Mike Harris, being such a person.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 5:03 pm

xenon13 wrote:
When I hear the phrase "Common Sense" from a politician, I file him or her away in the Evil category. The Lord of E. Coli himself in Ontario, Mike Harris, being such a person.

I believe it's a play on words to appeal to the common working class of Britain which the 2 main parties keep claiming to support but in the long run damaged the welfare of.

I'd rather judge a politician on their intended policies, bills and political views.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 1:08 am

Well, E. Coli Harris was the same way... as he helped ensure that e. coli would be consumed by water drinking people in Walkerton, Ontario.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 7:55 am

JanuaryMan wrote:
xenon13 wrote:

I believe it's a play on words to appeal to the common working class of Britain which the 2 main parties keep claiming to support but in the long run damaged the welfare of.

I'd rather judge a politician on their intended policies, bills and political views.

"Common sense" has been used in rightwing rhetoric since the 1990s. Generally, it's newspeak for "batsh*t crazy". Since this involves a UKIPer, when know it's going to be batsh*t.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Sense_Revolution

They might be trying to piggyback off of Thomas Paine (ironic, since Paine was quite an egalitarian).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Sense_(pamphlet)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 4:28 pm

A full HD video is being prepared and will be uploaded as soon as it's ready. :)

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Apr 2013, 4:43 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
xenon13 wrote:

Have the Tories ever really claimed to be a party for the working classes? Occasionally they'll say something about anything that's good for the rich is good for everyone, make passing reference to Adam Smith's invisible hand and then reduce public spending, but I don't think the working classes buy that for a second.

The worrying thing about Farage is that he's basically the ultimate old-school Tory, but the working classes don't care as long as he stops "30 million Romanians" from "coming over here to claim benefits and steal our jerbs".

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 5:00 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
The worrying thing about Farage is that he's basically the ultimate old-school Tory

Not really. He's a largely libertarian type (socially and economically), and not really a socially interventionist Tory type. If anything, he's a Thatcherite, which was (and is) an irregular phenomenon within the Conservatives. He's not a natural Conservative. If anything, I'd say he was old-school Liberal.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 5:29 pm

Why just England?

Is this some sort of subtle concession on the part of UKIP regarding the state of the union?

Or can't they keep a lid on their own anglocentricism?

My deviant art profile

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 5:35 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Why just England?

It's to coincide with the English County Council elections that are being held in May.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 5:36 pm

Tequila wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Why just England?

It's to coincide with the English County Council elections that are being held in May.

I really don't see them having many takers outside England.

If they ever do get into a position of power, all the more case for Scottish, Welsh and Ulster secessionism.

My deviant art profile

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 5:47 pm

thomas81 wrote:
I really don't see them having many takers outside England.

They don't seem to be doing too badly in Wales.

Scotland and Northern Ireland is more patchy, I'll admit.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Apr 2013, 7:20 pm

Tequila wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
The worrying thing about Farage is that he's basically the ultimate old-school Tory

Not really. He's a largely libertarian type (socially and economically), and not really a socially interventionist Tory type. If anything, he's a Thatcherite, which was (and is) an irregular phenomenon within the Conservatives. He's not a natural Conservative. If anything, I'd say he was old-school Liberal.
Ok, I amend my statement to "ultimate Thatcherite". I didn't mean to imply he was similar to Benjamin Disraeli. Farage wouldn't have raised business rates to pay for the Public Health Act. :wink:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 3:09 pm

The full video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyAcRT2Q_e8[/youtube]