Page 1 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 10:42 am

In many countries around have shorting summer vacation, i want to knew what do you think about reducing vacation time in school.

In my country summer Vacation in School are usually from June 25-30 to 1 September for school and 1 October for higher education.

I think the relax from education is essential for good learning and mental health.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 10:55 am

It might be interesting to trade some Summer vacation time to for more Holiday time throughout the year. Kind of spread school out more.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 11:02 am

I really liked having those three months off in the summer. With very rare exception EVERYONE did.
You know what they say about all work and no play.....

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 11:38 am

Raptor wrote:
I really liked having those three months off in the summer. With very rare exception EVERYONE did.
You know what they say about all work and no play.....

Exactly, long vacations are good.
Unless you want to raise a kid as obedient corporate rat that are willing to lick boss ass instead of kicking in it :D

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 11:50 am

As a kid, I lived for summer vacation. I know my daughter does, too. I think it's just too ingrained in American culture to do away with. Besides, teachers use that time off from the class room to formulate their curriculum.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

BeautifulTechno
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2013, 11:55 am

Yes, diluting those days would be fantastic. I think school kids would be more relaxed at school - 3 months in a row is a bit too much, a month or two is enough.

Who wouldn't like 30 spare days throughout the school year anyway? :)

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 12:21 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
As a kid, I lived for summer vacation. I know my daughter does, too. I think it's just too ingrained in American culture to do away with. Besides, teachers use that time off from the class room to formulate their curriculum.

Not only American culture, Polish culture too, some "expert" says that vacation from June(25-30) to September is way too long.
I think vacation is good is integral part of education system in every normal country. Kids are not automaton nor the teacher, both of them deserve relax for hard working whole school year.

PS. In Poland back to school day is 1 September, once Adolf Hitler deliver my country very special back to school day, it's a little historical anecdote, History was my favorite subject since i was young.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 12:35 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Not only American culture, Polish culture too, some "expert" says that vacation from June(25-30) to September is way too long.
I think vacation is good is integral part of education system in every normal country. Kids are not automaton nor the teacher, both of them deserve relax for hard working whole school year.

PS. In Poland back to school day is 1 September, once Adolf Hitler deliver my country very special back to school day, it's a little historical anecdote, History was my favorite subject since i was young.

I love history, too. I majored in history in college.

Oberoth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 2:14 pm

I like having summer off.
Summer break for me starts on the 3rd of June, and ends on ~23rd of September.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Apr 2013, 2:19 pm

I think it can be good for some bad for others. This is something I think school choice can handle pretty well, parents can make the call on their child. Sometimes you have to allow a kid to be a kid, it cannot all be about education.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 2:41 pm

I think public school should be non-compulsory. I hate school.

So yes, as much vacation time as possible.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 2:49 pm

1000Knives wrote:
I think public school should be non-compulsory. I hate school.

So yes, as much vacation time as possible.

I agree. I hated school so much. I skipped as much as I could and quit as soon as I could.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 4:38 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
In many countries around have shorting summer vacation, i want to knew what do you think about reducing vacation time in school.

In my country summer Vacation in School are usually from June 25-30 to 1 September for school and 1 October for higher education.

I think the relax from education is essential for good learning and mental health.

Summer vacation made sense when 90 percent of the labor force was involved in agriculture or animal husbandry.

ruveyn

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 5:17 pm

For primary and secondary education, the pedagogical thinking is that children do better with shorter breaks distributed around the year. But that always runs headlong into the expectation that we should be free to capitalize on the all to brief good weather that we have in the few months of summer north of, say, 40° latitude.

As for post-secondary education, long breaks make abundant sense, because they provide students with the opportunity to put relevant work experience into their curriculum. But there's nothing to dictate that these breaks need to happen from May through August, they can happen from September to December or from January to April, too.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 5:26 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:

I think it should be abolished and replaced with a 2-weeks off every 3 months 'vacation'.

Gives times for parents to be with their kids more often...it can be worked around a job's vacation time... keeps the grandparents busy... kids graduate faster (3 months off is just silly) and they get accustomed to a regular schedule or work-vacation which will help them in college and when in the workforce.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 6:15 pm

I think we need to go back to school starting Tuesday after labor Day and it being out Tuesday after Memorial Day and you just went then to pick up your report card.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com