Did you knew that America and UK financed al-Qaida :-)

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 3:16 am

I recently watched an interesting film about the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in 1979.

I heard that Al-Qaeda was funded by the CIA and MI6

I read about what Al-Qaeda militants did Soviet troops caught, castrated beheading , burned them alive.

And it was all funded by America and Britain

boywonder
Raven
Raven

10 May 2013, 3:33 am

I saw some footage from the mid 90's of closer relations with the US.

Many enemies were once allies, many allies were once enemies, such is the way of the world. Nations do all sorts of deals with the big guys then reneg on their promises

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 3:58 am

What are you trying to get at?

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 4:36 am

Didnt hink that this was news for anyone. Have you never seen Rambo II, where Rambo fights side by side with the heroic afghan Mujaheddin? Why were they presented as heroic? Because they were terroristic rebels, fighting with guerilla tactics against a foreign western regime to accomplish their own muslim sharia tyranny country... Why are they not presented as heroic anymore, when they are still doing the same stuff they did 30 years ago? Because 30 years ago the evil russians were the victims of their terror, so their terror was a good thing these days, because as long as you are only terrorizing the US enemies and your own citizens, being a lawless terrorist trying to acchieve a muslim tyranny is a good thing, and needs to be supported by the US-politics. *handclap*

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 5:07 am

Man, I'm having a wicked hard time not making an ethnic joke here...

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 5:17 am

I think it would be more correct to claim that the US (primarily) indirectly financed the Afghan Mujahideen with the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) of Pakistan as an intermediary.

During the Afghan-Soviet war, the Mujahideen was however a much more loosely aligned group (which even turned on itself eventually) than the Jihadi-Salafi ranks of Al-Qaeda.

Furthermore, Al-Qaeda didn't actually formally "exist" until some time in the late 1980's, close to the end of the Afghan-Soviet war, although its ideology can be traced back to at least 1964 with Milestones by Sayyid Qutb.

But since ISI is more or less considered a terrorist organization (alongside Al-Qaeda and Lashkar-E-Taiba) by the US, what I just wrote above was clearly a statement from the Department of Redundancy Department.

Possible lesson learned: The Enemy of My Enemy is... The Enemy of My Enemy.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 9:39 am

The US backs Al-Qa'eda in Iraq's activities in Syria, supports al-Qa'eda in general in Syria... when Zawhiri said that the Syrian rebels should be armed, Hillary Clinton echoed this sentiment in complete agreement.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 9:54 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
I recently watched an interesting film about the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in 1979.

I heard that Al-Qaeda was funded by the CIA and MI6

I read about what Al-Qaeda militants did Soviet troops caught, castrated beheading , burned them alive.

And it was all funded by America and Britain

That's old news. The idea, it appears, was to get the USSR out of Afghanistan while avoiding a direct confrontation between the western allies and the USSR. That could have potentially escalated to an exchange of nukes.
If Al-Qaeda resorted to atrocities then so be it.....

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 10:05 am

It seemed a good idea at the time. Any alliance acting against the Soviet Union was considered a Good Thing.

Very short-sighted.

ruveyn

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 10:30 am

Yes,

We financed them at their inception.

Later we were unwitting allies of al queda in the civil war in Bosnia. We are Al Queda's unwitting allies again right now in the Syrian civil war -on the side of the mostly sunni rebels against the Shiite ruling regime of Assad, and its shiite ally Iran- and its other ally: Russia.

And why did we invade Iraq again?

Because Saddam Hussiem was supposidly great friends with al queda.

Except that he was never any friend nor ally of al queda. The USA itsself had more witting cooperaton with Al Queda, and continues to have more common interests and unwitting cooperation with Al Queda than Saddam Hussien ever did.

And Al Queda never had a foothold in Iraq UNTIL the USA toppled Saddam Hussien.

In fact the whole reason Ben Ladin decided to form al queda was because his family in saudi arabia wouldnt let him kick Saddam Hussien's ass when the later invaded Kuwait!

He offered his services and expertise (from afganistan experience) as a guerilla fighter , and they told them that there is no need. The family said 'the USA will do all the heavy lifting for us". That got the prodigal son angry at his indulant dysfunctional family. But an arab political thinker told him not to take it out on his family but on the imperialist USA who sponser them. So instead of going on Dr. Phil- he launched 9-11!

And the rest is history.

Yep.

Its a crazy world!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 May 2013, 1:03 pm

We trained them, we armed them, we destabilize countries for them to overrun. The 'rebels' in Syria are Al Qaeda aligned terrorists, the 'rebels' in Libya are Al Qaeda aligned terrorists.

The Taliban was created by the US, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia too

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 1:37 pm

ruveyn wrote:
It seemed a good idea at the time. Any alliance acting against the Soviet Union was considered a Good Thing.

Very short-sighted.

ruveyn

As much as many here hate the Soviet Union they were a political counterbalance that was keeping the both the power of the western capitalists and Islamists in check.

The stupid thing is that had the Soviet Union existed post 9/11 they could have been a useful ally to America in tracking down Bin Laden and removing the Al Quaeda influence across Asia.

My deviant art profile

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 2:14 pm

There is not actually any such thing as Al Qaeda, it is just a blanket term for any Middle Eastern Islamic "terrorist" group or Bogeyman we might want to frighten the population with so that they continue to back our "War on Terror".
Its not an organised group that are all in communication with each other or maybe have a club magazine, "Al Quida" Weekly".

The origins of the term Al Qaeda was also an invention of the likes of the CIA as a name for their Mujaheddin operatives in the earlier Afghan war against the Russians, that is too say, the mujaheddin never referred to themselves as "Al Queda", which is just as well as it is widely reported that its English translation of "Base", as in database for the American controllers, is actually a colloquialism for "Toilet", which is hardly the name you would chose to visit on your own honorable army of freedom fighters for God.

Looking at the number of "terrorists" who have links to the American secret services, LINK LINK its still probably the case that the West uses the term Al Queda to refer to its own Islamic operatives, this was certainly the case in Libya when we wanted Gaddafi overthrown.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 4:07 pm

thats right actually, which is why the USA's 'war' against Al Quaeda is a fools errand. It is a hivemind, it isn't an organisation which is why it can't be 'defeated'.

My deviant art profile

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 May 2013, 4:54 pm

GGPViper wrote:
I think it would be more correct to claim that the US (primarily) indirectly financed the Afghan Mujahideen with the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) of Pakistan as an intermediary.

Whs.

As someone who garners most of his knowledge of Middle Eastern history from novels, I reckon this was probably one of the worst things to come out of America's anti-communist position. Afghanistan took several steps backwards once the Communists were ousted, particularly in the area of women's rights in more liberal areas like Kabul.

Jacoby wrote:
We trained them, we armed them, we destabilize countries for them to overrun. The 'rebels' in Syria are Al Qaeda aligned terrorists, the 'rebels' in Libya are Al Qaeda aligned terrorists.

No doubt some of them are, but no doubt some of them are well meaning people who feel oppressed by their government and think fighting will bring peace, some are out to avenge deaths, some are mercenaries, etc. They're complicated motley crews pulled together by their desire to win the war.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 10:29 pm

Jacoby wrote:
We trained them, we armed them, we destabilize countries for them to overrun. The 'rebels' in Syria are Al Qaeda aligned terrorists,

No, not all of them are. And in fact, the Al Qaeda intrusion happened relatively recently.

I'm not even going to comment on the Taliban bit.