Page 5 of 32 [ 501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

21 May 2013, 4:06 pm

marshall wrote:
sixstring wrote:
marshall wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Some of the arguments on this thread support my most outlandish arguments in the OP. For example: those claiming that women have more job opportunities, or that men don't have more. This is only true if you are in the lower class where many of men have criminal records and few have any education. So the ones making this argument are not the strong, nor would I characterize them as winners.

If you had a good upper middle class job, you would realize that men get most of the higher paying jobs. If you don't realize this, that means you are not familiar with high-paying jobs, and so you are definitely not a winner.

Men on average work more and take more demanding educations. Take a look at the male-to-female ratio in medicine, law or engineering.

That's changing and it's insulting to imply that men are just naturally harder working. That's not true. The problem is in modern society there's a double standard. Women are increasingly encouraged and expected to work harder outside the home but men don't want to take up the slack by doing more work inside the home. They want to sit in front of the television after work because they "worked so hard" while the women works all day and cooks for them. That is BS.
Its not BS, but proven fact.

The average man works longer hours per week, does more overtime, lives farther from home, takes less sick leave (without pregnancy in the equation) and holiday, is more often on time, etc, than the average woman.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb_6v-JQ13Q[/youtube]

Apparently you don't know how to read. What is BS is that men 1) expect women to work longer hours AND do the house work, cook for them, and all the traditional female roles. 2) Is it any wonder women are more stressed out and depressed than men?

I was trying to express a balanced opinion on this issue but I don't have a lot of patience for dumb reactionary crap so I'm not really interested in arguing with you or Kurgan.
1) o_O Please show me one man on this website that wants that. FFS that women having to do all the housework is so tired. Men put in more effort in the household and raising of the kids than feminists give them credit for. Yes there's a discrepancy, but then again, men work longer hours.
I mainly showed this video to point out that men DO put in more effort in their career, and THAT's why men earn more.
2) That's because estrogen has much more of a depressing effect than testosterone. http://women.webmd.com/guide/estrogen-a ... s-emotions
Now you explain to me as to why men commit suicide three times as often as women.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 4:08 pm

sixstring wrote:
Yet again the focus is on women having a hard time being taken seriously in male dominated industries, with no mention of how few women would support a stay-at-home dad or how few women would be comfortable with a male nanny.

I'm going to repost this since you seemed to ignore it the first time I refuted this argument:
The mainstream feminist platform encourages inividuality in personal identity and encourages men to take up more traditionally feminine roles (like child rearing.) Ridgid social expectations about Men being expected to be the bread winners, soldiers, higher educated, etc is part of the traditional patriarchial ideal......not a feminist ideal.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 4:10 pm

Kurgan wrote:
If a woman wants the same degree of fitness as Rihanna or Kristen Stewart, she simply needs to go on a slight caloric deficit until she hits 20-22 percent bodyfat; no exercise is needed.

Tell this to my tummy :lol:

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 4:12 pm

Jono wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:
Nope. Like the tea party thing, they are a reactionary movement built around attempting the preserve the control of the white ableist patriarchy. Also, like the TPM, It was created by the people who are in power in order to preserve it by finding poor schmucks and pointing them towards an imaginary enemy that actually exherts little real control.

I wouldn't exactly call them schmucks. Male victims deserve support like everyone else but the sad thing is, it's partly because they get very little of it that gives the MRA's legitimacy.
The MRA people aren't victims. Saying you're a victim doesn't make it so and trying to take away the rights of others makes it quite the opposite........

As I pointed out above. The MRA ideal is based around the very same concepts that the "anti-feminist" Aspies on on here seem to be upset with. MRAs don't like the role feminism has played in blurring gender lines. They want men to play traditional dominant men roles and women to play traditional submissive woman roles. They only see themselves as victims because they feel they aren't allowed to be "real men" anymore. I'm sure there are real victims of reverse sexism out there, but but these clowns aren't it.

It's incredibly sad how I see all these AS males having trouble fitting into traditional societal standards and gender roles scapegoating thier issues onto feminism and double standards. Rather, they should be getting upset at the system that perpetuates these outdated standards they can't live up to. Much like the OP, I find the hate of feminism perpelxing because feminism is clearly not what's oppressing me.........

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

21 May 2013, 4:42 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
sixstring wrote:
Yet again the focus is on women having a hard time being taken seriously in male dominated industries, with no mention of how few women would support a stay-at-home dad or how few women would be comfortable with a male nanny.

I'm going to repost this since you seemed to ignore it the first time I refuted this argument:
The mainstream feminist platform encourages inividuality in personal identity and encourages men to take up more traditionally feminine roles (like child rearing.) Ridgid social expectations about Men being expected to be the bread winners, soldiers, higher educated, etc is part of the traditional patriarchial ideal......not a feminist ideal.
Please quote me where I said it's the feminist ideal. What I said was that most feminists are just doing nothing about it.
I have never seen a feminist article or protest march to stop male conscripcy. I have never seen a feminist march against male circumcision.
There are some who do, but the problem is that those kinds of feminists are a minority.
I am 100% certain that most women support theoretical men being a stay-at-home-dad or a nanny, but would absolutely hate it if they found out it's THEIR man who wants that. Or they support men doing these things, but would never consider dating/hiring one.

The fact is that the majority of feminists refuses to accept the idea that men face equality issues in favor of women.
The amazing atheist said it best when he said "Feminism is the idea that we can make both sexes equal by focusing solely on the issues of one of them."

By the way, ever heard of the violence against women act? The single most sexist piece of legislation in the U.S. And guess what movement inspired it.

Last edited by sixstring on 21 May 2013, 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 4:46 pm

By contrast, political correctness is the refuge of the weak. 'nuff said

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 4:51 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:
MRA activists don't want gender equality. They want to take woman's rights back to the pre-sufferage days. If those MRA guys were actually in charge woman wouldn't have any real legal rights to thier own bodies, the uppity ones could legally have the rod taken to them by thier husbands, cheating wives could be legally circumcized.......and forget about voting. It'd be like Saudi Arabia only worse.

My God, that's scary!

It's also not true... the only people that say this are mega-feminists spreading propaganda against a conflicting interest group.
I don't know of any pro-men groups that are proposing the reduction of the opposite gender to only 1-10% of world population in the next 2-3 generations like some mega-feminists are proposing.
Castration at birth.

I'm not kidding.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

21 May 2013, 4:58 pm

blunnet wrote:
By contrast, political correctness is the refuge of the weak. 'nuff said

Define political correctness.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 5:24 pm

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 5:53 pm

sixstring wrote:
marshall wrote:
Apparently you don't know how to read. What is BS is that men 1) expect women to work longer hours AND do the house work, cook for them, and all the traditional female roles. 2) Is it any wonder women are more stressed out and depressed than men?

I was trying to express a balanced opinion on this issue but I don't have a lot of patience for dumb reactionary crap so I'm not really interested in arguing with you or Kurgan.
1) o_O Please show me one man on this website that wants that.

Didn't claim anyone wants that, but that's what has happened.

Quote:
FFS that women having to do all the housework is so tired. Men put in more effort in the household and raising of the kids than feminists give them credit for. Yes there's a discrepancy, but then again, men work longer hours.

The working hours gap is closing while the amount of houshold work and raising kids gap is not.

Quote:
I mainly showed this video to point out that men DO put in more effort in their career, and THAT's why men earn more.

Because they are expected to be "breadwinners" and they don't have those other pesky responsibilities taking away their time for work. It's not because women are inherently lazier than men as you are implying.

Quote:
2) That's because estrogen has much more of a depressing effect than testosterone. http://women.webmd.com/guide/estrogen-a ... s-emotions

Maybe, but maybe they are also more stressed.
Quote:
Now you explain to me as to why men commit suicide three times as often as women.

Because men are more likely to act violently in general, and that includes self-inflicted violence (suicide). Also, men are less likely get any sympathy for feeling suicidal, hence they are more likely to carry through and kill themselves without pleading for help or even telling anyone.

Last edited by marshall on 21 May 2013, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 6:08 pm

^^^ You're either a woman pretending to be a man, thoroughly brainwashed, or sucking up to the mega-feminists to find a safe haven in a world hostile to men.

Think about it... the SAFEST position a man can say out loud is to loudly denounce men and champion women as your rightful masters. You'll be patted on the head like an obedient pet, but not necessarily respected as an equal deserving of their love and affection.

I know I certainly did more housework than my stay-at-home wife ever did...

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 6:13 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
Jono wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:
Nope. Like the tea party thing, they are a reactionary movement built around attempting the preserve the control of the white ableist patriarchy. Also, like the TPM, It was created by the people who are in power in order to preserve it by finding poor schmucks and pointing them towards an imaginary enemy that actually exherts little real control.

I wouldn't exactly call them schmucks. Male victims deserve support like everyone else but the sad thing is, it's partly because they get very little of it that gives the MRA's legitimacy.
The MRA people aren't victims. Saying you're a victim doesn't make it so and trying to take away the rights of others makes it quite the opposite........

As I pointed out above. The MRA ideal is based around the very same concepts that the "anti-feminist" Aspies on on here seem to be upset with. MRAs don't like the role feminism has played in blurring gender lines. They want men to play traditional dominant men roles and women to play traditional submissive woman roles. They only see themselves as victims because they feel they aren't allowed to be "real men" anymore. I'm sure there are real victims of reverse sexism out there, but but these clowns aren't it.

It's incredibly sad how I see all these AS males having trouble fitting into traditional societal standards and gender roles scapegoating thier issues onto feminism and double standards. Rather, they should be getting upset at the system that perpetuates these outdated standards they can't live up to. Much like the OP, I find the hate of feminism perpelxing because feminism is clearly not what's oppressing me.........

If you read my original post, which you responded to, then you would know that I was talking about male victims of domestic violence (by way of example) who the MRA's claim to support, not the MRA's themselves. Or are you saying that men who were beaten up by their wives are not victims the same way as female victims of DV are?

The point is that the MRA's may bring up some legitimate issues but that also doesn't mean that their overall intentions are good.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

21 May 2013, 6:47 pm

marshall wrote:
sixstring wrote:
marshall wrote:

1) o_O Please show me one man on this website that wants that.

1) Didn't claim anyone wants that, but that's what has happened.

Quote:
FFS that women having to do all the housework is so tired. Men put in more effort in the household and raising of the kids than feminists give them credit for. Yes there's a discrepancy, but then again, men work longer hours.

The working hours gap is closing while the amount of houshold and raising kids gap is not.

Quote:

Because they are expected to be "breadwinners" and they don't have those other pesky responsibilities taking away their time for work. 2) It's not because women are inherently lazier than men as you are implying.

Quote:

Maybe, but maybe they are also more stressed.
Quote:

Because men are more likely to act violently in general, and that includes self-inflicted violence (suicide). Also, men are less likely get any sympathy for feeling suicidal, hence they are more likely to carry through and kill themselves without pleading for help or even telling anyone.
1) I very much doubt so. Do you have a link, because what I've experienced is the exact opposite. Men are expected to pick up more of what used to be considered a woman's job, whereas women don't take up as many things that used to be considered the guy's job. I see the married men in my family/circle of (former) friends cooking, cleaning, doing the dishes, feeding the baby, changing the diaper, etc. Yet I hardly see the women taking out the trash or fixing a broken step on a staircase.
By the way, there is an easy way for women to not have to do more of the household : Just not doing it and telling your husband what needs to happen.
A popular theory as to why women do it more, is the following Most men grew up in a household where the classic gender roles were still in use. In those times, it was considered normal for women to just do those things and never complain, nor asking gratitude for what they've done. This caused men not helping their mothers in the household. Which in turn, simply caused men not to know how many things need to be done in the household.
They can see something that women have been thought is messy and needs work, and simply not see that it needs work, because they were never trained for it. They don't know what needs to be done, but the woman does.
So she does that part of the household thinking to herself that he's selfish, yet she doesn't explain it to him.

A theory that I have formed that's also part of the cause, is what's implied with the question "Can you... ?"

I think that when a woman asks a man for instance "Can you do the dishes?", the true, full question is actually "Can you do the dishes *right now*"
So the man answers "Yes I'll do the dishes", with which he means "I'll do the dishes later on, just give me a moment." She however, will take the answer as "Yes, I'll do the dishes right now."
So when 30 minutes later he hasn't done the dishes yet, she sees it as him not wanting to do them at all. So she does the dishes herself, calling her man selfish.
But in such a case it's not the man's fault she's doing more. She decided herself to do more. I have the feeling that women sometimes judge men for the decisions they make themselves.

2) I was not implying that at all. What I was trying to say, is that women are much less focused on the money making aspect of a career, and much more on the aspects of independence and personal growth. As is proven.

Last edited by sixstring on 21 May 2013, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 7:01 pm

sixstring wrote:
2) I was not implying that at all. What I was trying to say, is that women are much less focused on the money making aspect of a career, and much more on the aspects of independence and personal growth. As is proven.

And I think this is a good thing. Money and property ownership are over-rated.

I really think that men and women have it equally as bad. Obviously there are differences, but in the end I'm not sure that it's easier to be one over the other.

It's easy to generalize about another group because you have been hurt by its members, and I think we can all come up with nasty stories to tell about former and present partners.

There probably is an under-reported amount of physical abuse towards men by their partners. And the military rape scandal is about men as well as woman. Rape is not a gender specific crime. And the whole issue of commonplace rape in prison - it's just not right. If rape is supposed to be part of the punishment for a crime than it should be on the books as such.

And, of course women are raped in prison too - mostly by male guards.

These issues are not gender specific - they are human issues.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

21 May 2013, 7:04 pm

BlueMax wrote:
^^^ You're either a woman pretending to be a man, thoroughly brainwashed, or sucking up to the mega-feminists to find a safe haven in a world hostile to men.

Think about it... the SAFEST position a man can say out loud is to loudly denounce men and champion women as your rightful masters. You'll be patted on the head like an obedient pet, but not necessarily respected as an equal deserving of their love and affection.

I know I certainly did more housework than my stay-at-home wife ever did...

I think I know the source of your strong feelings. You may not say it the way I would, but marriage sucks. It sucks because the institution is also oppressive to men, not just women. And you suffered from this oppression. It gives both men and women unequal rights in different areas and gives them incentives to abuse them.

I think no man in his right mind would ever get legally married. It is simply too risky; the chances of getting f****d by the system (not by feminists) is too high. But this has nothing to do with feminism.

Last edited by Tyri0n on 21 May 2013, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

21 May 2013, 7:09 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
sixstring wrote:

And I think this is a good thing. Money and property ownership are over-rated.

I really think that men and women have it equally as bad. Obviously there are differences, but in the end I'm not sure that it's easier to be one over the other.

It's easy to generalize about another group because you have been hurt by its members, and I think we can all come up with nasty stories to tell about former and present partners.

There probably is an under-reported amount of physical abuse towards men by their partners. And the military rape scandal is about men as well as woman. Rape is not a gender specific crime. And the whole issue of commonplace rape in prison - it's just not right. If rape is supposed to be part of the punishment for a crime than it should be on the books as such.

And, of course women are raped in prison too - mostly by male guards.

These issues are not gender specific - they are human issues.
Thank you, finally a woman who is open to the truth. However, men are still expected to put their focus on making as much money as possible.

I edited my previous message, but I'll copy-paste the edit for everyone's convenience.

A popular theory as to why women do more household, is the following Most men grew up in a household where the classic gender roles were still in use. In those times, it was considered normal for women to just do those things and never complain, nor asking gratitude for what they've done. This caused men not helping their mothers in the household. Which in turn, simply caused men not to know how many things need to be done in the household.
They can see something that women have been thought is messy and needs work, and simply not see that it needs work, because they were never trained for it. They don't know what needs to be done, but the woman does.
So she does that part of the household thinking to herself that he's selfish, yet she doesn't explain it to him.

A theory that I have formed to also be part of the cause, is what's implied with the question "Can you... ?"

I think (I emphasize I THINK) that when a woman asks a man for instance "Can you do the dishes?", the true, full question is actually "Can you do the dishes *right now*"
So the man answers "Yes I'll do the dishes", with which he means "I'll do the dishes later on, just give me a moment." She however, will take the answer as "Yes, I'll do the dishes right now."
So when 30 minutes later he hasn't done the dishes yet, she sees it as him not wanting to do them at all. So she does the dishes herself, calling her man selfish.
But in such a case it's not the man's fault she's doing more. She decided herself to do more. I have the feeling that women sometimes judge men for the decisions they make themselves.

Oh and by the way I know that most sexism isn't caused by feminism. However, the incredibly sexist laws that treats violence from gender A to gender B much worse than gender B to gender A, DOES have feminism as its cause.