Trolling someones Beliefs with fubar logic. AKA Trolling

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you givea hoot about proving opinion?
yes 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
no 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
Huhuhuh, your logic is invalid, trololololo! 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:57 pm

WTF? That is all I need to say. It is disrespectful. You can't tell someone "where is that |blank| you said proves I |blank|" when you talk about things like virtue, politics, or opinion. I BELIEVE. Why in good clean debates is this not enough anymore? Science is good, till it warps politcs debate and banter. WTF? I'm serious.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 6:00 pm

appletheclown wrote:
WTF? That is all I need to say. It is disrespectful. You can't tell someone "where is that |blank| you said proves I |blank|" when you talk about things like virtue, politics, or opinion. I BELIEVE. Why in good clean debates is this not enough anymore? Science is good, till it warps politcs debate and banter. WTF? I'm serious.

What about calling people hypocrites when you have no good reason to?

delaSHANE
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 6:05 pm

... That's why I never join particular discussions, here. Why bother. Over-blown egos make it virtually impossible to have any sort of proper, respectful, fulfilling debate. It is unfortunate. Sorry for your frustration, appletheclown. . .

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 6:50 pm

delaSHANE wrote:
... That's why I never join particular discussions, here. Why bother. Over-blown egos make it virtually impossible to have any sort of proper, respectful, fulfilling debate. It is unfortunate. Sorry for your frustration, appletheclown. . .

I know the feeling, I was almost pulling my hair out with frustration when I first posted here.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 6:53 pm

It's better to take into account more than one point of view. Sometimes, there's more than one possibility.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 7:27 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
It's better to take into account more than one point of view. Sometimes, there's more than one possibility.

Ok, I will. Oh my, I almost forgot, I already believe both science and religion. How the heck do you argue with either side? It is near impossible. It is kind of obvious though. If I believe in both I shouldn't have to defend either, but I guess I am defensive a bit. It is just hard not to respond. Like say a hardcore creationist says (pardon the language) that Native Americans are all going to hell or something completely ridiculous like that. It is that stuff that makes me angry on that side. People like that think that since they worship multiple spirits, like the thunderbird and others. But that simply isn't true. They might be, but only because people like him wouldn't let them or preach to them with love and compassion. Believe or go to hell, man I can't blame some people for not liking us.

On the other hand science, in the most basic sense, is the study of facts. This in itself, should prove why religion and science should compliment each other, not mix. Oil, and water, oil, and water. I think a lot of people fail to realize when they give religion a chance, that when you believe God exists, you believe him when he says he is impossible. It is in the bible itself, quoting God, that he is so unfathomable to comprehend. It is as if he is trying to say he is the only magic trick in this world, yet only the trick can cast it. Why bother. I have no doubt God enjoys pissing off people by making himself impossible, simply put, how does he do it?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 7:54 pm

Keep in mind facts change on a regular basis.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 8:25 pm

delaSHANE wrote:

Oh, but that's the FUN of it. All the trolling, flaming, spamming, dog-whistling, ad-hocking, cherry-picking, non-sequestering, Godwinning, redherringing and goalpostmoving is the lifeblood of this forum. Yes, I was once disgusted with this forum as well but once I jumped in this cesspool and got some s**t on me my whole outlook on it has changed. :D

delaSHANE
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 8:36 pm

Raptor wrote:
delaSHANE wrote:

Oh, but that's the FUN of it. All the trolling, flaming, spamming, dog-whistling, ad-hocking, cherry-picking, non-sequestering, Godwinning, redherringing and goalpostmoving is the lifeblood of this forum. Yes, I was once disgusted with this forum as well but once I jumped in this cesspool and got some sh** on me my whole outlook on it has changed. :D

If you find it "FUN" Raptor, more power to you. I happen to despise all of that negative BS. Enjoy!

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 8:43 pm

I think what may be the problem here is that many people on this forum confuse their beliefs with themselves. That is, they believe that if their beliefs are under scrutiny and attack, then they are under scrutiny and attack. IMO, if you cannot handle your beliefs coming under scrutiny and attack in this forum, then don't present them, or even come on here--because someone else who shared the same beliefs may have shared them and those beliefs may currently be under scrutiny and attack. Free speech goes both ways and that includes the right to both affirmative and negative positions on topics. Beliefs are game here, other people are not.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 8:49 pm

My favorite is science vs religion and using science as an argument against dissproving the existence of magical make believe beings! :mrgreen:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 9:01 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
My favorite is science vs religion and using science as an argument against dissproving the existence of magical make believe beings! :mrgreen:

At least you make it fun for me. I love graphic novels. Seems like people who can relate to each other are the only ones who can debate this with dignity.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 9:03 pm

beneficii wrote:
I think what may be the problem here is that many people on this forum confuse their beliefs with themselves. That is, they believe that if their beliefs are under scrutiny and attack, then they are under scrutiny and attack. IMO, if you cannot handle your beliefs coming under scrutiny and attack in this forum, then don't present them, or even come on here--because someone else who shared the same beliefs may have shared them and those beliefs may currently be under scrutiny and attack. Free speech goes both ways and that includes the right to both affirmative and negative positions on topics. Beliefs are game here, other people are not.

Just don't undermine, instead, enlighten. I don't want the thread locked.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 9:09 pm

To point it out, I am an extreme individualist, in terms of philosophy. I don't believe any man or woman can have the same belief system, only move along in life with those he that finds accepting of him/her. Those who fight are those who can't coexist. Those who become stagnant are prone to be stubborn and prejudiced. Those who move and co-mingle are open minded friends who will likely stay together for a long time.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 9:09 pm

appletheclown wrote:

AppleClown,

You are only 20 years old, so brush it off. When I was 20, I didn't know what was going on in the world :)

Your statement of .... "Hey, things aren't so bad for you. Look at these other places where people have it worst (Rwanda for example) " was the catalyst of the argument.

Perhaps you meant it to be comforting? Perhaps you meant it dismissively? It comes across as dismissive I think. Just like telling a wounded solider, "Hey, don't fret over losing your legs. Other people here have it much worse here".

Once beneficii identified it as a fallacy (which shows she took it as offending) , then if you really meant it not to be offending, then I think you should of apologized at that point.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 9:23 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
appletheclown wrote:

AppleClown,

You are only 20 years old, so brush it off. When I was 20, I didn't know what was going on in the world :)

Your statement of .... "Hey, things aren't so bad for you. Look at these other places where people have it worst (Rwanda for example) " was the catalyst of the argument.

Perhaps you meant it to be comforting? Perhaps you meant it dismissively? It comes across as dismissive I think. Just like telling a wounded solider, "Hey, don't fret over losing your legs. Other people here have it much worse here".

Once beneficii identified it as a fallacy (which shows she took it as offending) , then if you really meant it not to be offending, then I think you should of apologized at that point.

Alright. I admit that was an arse thing to do. But what I was mainly pointing out that it is more important that we help out those people that do have it worse than the ones she was talking about. Homosexuals in the US are treated fairly well compared to most parts of the world. I wasn't really trying to point out the you have it worse thing. But I understand I worded it that way. Sorry. But it still does not excuse calling my beliefs a fallacy. Just because it is offensive, doesn't mean I mean harm to anyone. Please I don't want to start this over. I'm sorry about the last thread so let us keep it good, ok? No fallacy, no 'you can't believe that', or even "science is false", none of it. Everyone is correct on this thread.