Page 1 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 7:57 pm

How many people agree with me? If we're going to keep marriage a government-based affair (Which is stupid, by the way), then all people should be allowed equal access to that marriage.

If we're NOT, then we should completely remove all legal benefits of marriage and leave it to the individuals to work out their arrangements through private contracts, and have the government only get involved to enforce said contracts.

Anyone that isn't for either one of those two points is a homophobe.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 7:58 pm

Shau wrote:
How many people agree with me? If we're going to keep marriage a government-based affair (Which is stupid, by the way), then all people should be allowed equal access to that marriage.

If we're NOT, then we should completely remove all legal benefits of marriage and leave it to the individuals to work out their arrangements through private contracts, and have the government only get involved to enforce said contracts.

I agree. In the United States, I believe this is required by the 5th and 14th Amendments.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 8:22 pm

Makes sense to me, The present situation here in Australia is discrimination pure and simple, it also leads to complex legal matters regarding rights of the respective partners.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 8:26 pm

Completely agree. I support same-sex marriage for equality reasons only.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 8:29 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Makes sense to me, The present situation here in Australia is discrimination pure and simple, it also leads to complex legal matters regarding rights of the respective partners.

Like with wrongful death lawsuits, health insurance, and pensions here in the States.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 3:55 am

Shau wrote:
Do statements like that make you a heterophobe? Just wondering... :)

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 4:19 am

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Shau wrote:

Not inherently, no. I'd have a hard time with my favorite thing in the universe (cute nerdy Asian girls with jiggly butts) if I was a heterophobe.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 6:27 am

The whole mythology is questionable at best to me. If you know gay people whom you like, why should this mean that you should support everything some of them may want? Overall, the whole focus on gay people is unhealthy nowadays, and I think most of them realise that by now too.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2014, 7:30 am

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Shau wrote:

So why do you oppose rights for gays, anywho? :roll:

Mamselle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2014, 8:34 am

If marriage is permitted between straight couples, it should be permitted between gay couples. There is no reason not to (other than religiously-based objections which have no relevance to a state matter). While churches, mosques, and temples are free to refuse officiating a marriage if the couple does not meet the standard of the faith represented, civil marriage should be available for any couple that wants it--straight or gay.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 2:01 pm

Shau@
It would certainly be fun to introduce your idea in congress. Then just listen to the righties howl! :twisted:

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 2:28 pm

TheValk wrote:
The whole mythology is questionable at best to me. If you know gay people whom you like, why should this mean that you should support everything some of them may want? Overall, the whole focus on gay people is unhealthy nowadays, and I think most of them realise that by now too.

You don't have to support equal rights for people whom you like. Feel free to do so, though; it'll be much appreciated. :) And I'm curious to know what you meant by "mythology".

Personally, being gay, I think it's wonderful how much attention LGBT people are getting these days. It doesn't stop straight people from being shown everywhere, and nor should it. But it's a great way to let young people growing up know that, even if you are different in this way, that you're still a part of normal life. Seeing people like themselves in the public sphere makes a world of difference – believe me.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Last edited by Murihiku on 10 Jan 2014, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Jan 2014, 2:31 pm

100% agree. I believe gays should have the same rights as anyone else, our government shouldn't be looking at us anything but individuals. You can't give one group recognition and not another, it's not right. Why should the government be involved in marriage at all? Beyond just discrimination, why should married people be afforded more rights and privileges than the unmarried that co-habitate?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 2:44 pm

Shau wrote:

Just gonna point out that even if you allow gay marriage there still wouldn't be total marriage equity due to incest laws. Anyway, there is a 3rd option, removing marriages from the government, but still have marriage contracts (civil unions) be government ideals. Ending with "anyone who doesn't agree with me is a homophobe" is an ad hominem tactic and not appropriate for rational debate unless you can logically prove they must be homophobes for disagreeing with your narrow options.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

adb
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 2:45 pm

I agree that people should be treated equally under the law.

What I don't understand is the double standard. Why should people be treated equally when it comes to marriage but not when it comes to money? Why is it okay for some people to have to pay more for less government services while others pay less (or nothing) for more government services?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 2:57 pm

I agree. The 14th amendment requires equal protection of the law.

I believe the government should not issue marriages; but instead give civil unions to everyone. Leave marriage to the churches.