Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

GinBlossoms
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2014, 9:53 pm

I'm 22 and have very low reading comprehension or attention span. I don't have many opinions at all on politics and social things. But I wish I did. How do I learn how to debate these things appropriately?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 11:04 pm

GinBlossoms wrote:
I'm 22 and have very low reading comprehension or attention span. I don't have many opinions at all on politics and social things. But I wish I did. How do I learn how to debate these things appropriately?

Well..friend this seriously is not a good environment to develop debating skills if you are truly interested in practicing effective debate skills..

Reason being..this forum is more of a..free for all.. discussion board..where personal attacks must be tolerated well to effectively participate..

As this is the main MO..for many people posting here...

There aren't enough members here to provide effective moderation..for a real debating arena..

There are some other sites..with a quick check on google..that offer a more formal environment to actually learn the gentleman's skill

Of debate...

Personal attacks are at the lowest level of critical thinking..and oh my god..they are like weeds everywhere on this forum...

But oh yeah..it's just for fun anyway..and an environment conducive..for folks who have been abused by others in their life..to let out a little abuse on still others in life...

Not my style..but i deal with it...as at least some people are not afraid to communicate with me on this site..

Sometimes any communication..is better than none..at least there is some friggin thing to respond to...

Even.. if it is playing with another silly attempt at a personal attack.. a good way to develop wit..the most effective tool against..a personal attack on the interNEtz!

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 6:46 am

aghogday wrote:
GinBlossoms wrote:

Reason being..this forum is more of a..free for all.. discussion board..where personal attacks must be tolerated well to effectively participate..

Sorry but this is simply not true, certainly not in relation to the majority of internet debating forums, that being said posting nonsense will get you called on it, posting unintelligible writing will get you called on it or just plain ignored.

GinBlossoms, although I have a good level of reading comprehension, I have a very low level of attention span for reading, it tends to put me to sleep. I mostly learn via audio books and quality tv documentaries (with tv it is always a good idea to do a quick check of the facts before taking them on board.

Regarding debating your beliefs and opinions, just jump, in you will soon learn. Some basic rules would be an ability to back up your opinion with well presented rationale, learn about the concept of logical fallacies, research the topic, some people find debating against their own point of view helps develop their skills, and yes aghogday is correct, try to only debate the opinion and not the person (look up Ad Hominem)

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 6:51 am

GinBlossoms wrote:

Look up on the most elementary fallacies on Wikipedia, and try to avoid those.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 7:54 am

Or, for a more entertaining exploration of logical fallacies, see here.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 7:58 am

Becareful debating can lead to trolling too!!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 8:22 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
aghogday wrote:
GinBlossoms wrote:

Sorry but this is simply not true, certainly not in relation to the majority of internet debating forums, that being said posting nonsense will get you called on it, posting unintelligible writing will get you called on it or just plain ignored.

GinBlossoms, although I have a good level of reading comprehension, I have a very low level of attention span for reading, it tends to put me to sleep. I mostly learn via audio books and quality tv documentaries (with tv it is always a good idea to do a quick check of the facts before taking them on board.

Regarding debating your beliefs and opinions, just jump, in you will soon learn. Some basic rules would be an ability to back up your opinion with well presented rationale, learn about the concept of logical fallacies, research the topic, some people find debating against their own point of view helps develop their skills, and yes aghogday is correct, try to only debate the opinion and not the person (look up Ad Hominem)

Well first of all to address what i actually specifically stated ..my criticism was only directed at this forum and not any other forum...

Well second of all..dude..this is a forum to discuss philosophy...

Philosophy..is notorious as an expression of ideas that are full of metaphor..and obviously unintelligible for those individuals that do not have the ability to understand the depth of metaphors that are often expressed in philosophy...

Well here's the thing about discussing philosophy..if you don't understand something you ask why..WHAT OR HOW..you don't personally attack if you don't understand...

Of course.. that is only if you want to understand how another person relates their personal philosophy of life..

That ain't debate..that is sharing ideas about philosophy...

There is absolutely ..no statement.. anywhere on this site from the owner..that this forum is designed as a forum for debate..and for good reason..as it simply is not...

This forum is an extremely open forum of and for Autistic people..many who have extreme difficulties understanding philosophy and yes...even religion and politics too..as all these fields of interest are full of the type of abstract concepts that include metaphors for emotions..that yes are most definitely difficult for many people on the spectrum to understand...

Now with all that said..i certainly have empathy for a person who has difficulty with attention span and who learns more through auditory and visual perception..than the written word...

I was certainly more like that before i lost the effective use of my ear and eye..some 5 to 6 years ago...

There are many people on this forum..that have an extreme spectrum of difficulties in learning and expressing themselves as well...

I had to learn to be a verbal thinker..and presto what ya see is what you get when you come across my communication...

But it certainly ain't just me that's getting personally attacked for my complex metaphors or long winded posts...

The examples of personal attacks on this specific forum and to be clear again...i am not talking about any other forum but this one..are extreme.. i have close to a photographic memory..type close to 130 words a minute..(yes adaptation to communication..from losing effective sight and hearing)....

And yes i read approximately 10 to 15 times faster than the average human being...

If ya like.. i can provide quotes of literally thousands of personal attacks against many people on this specific forum...

It is simply ludicrous to suggest by any reasonable standard that this is an environment conducive for debate..it is the opposite from that..it is more like Lord of the Flies..

Now..to be clear there are some other forums that are worse that this..like Reddit..but that's a joke too..per debate..another great example of a metaphorical online Lord of the Flies environment..where in this case faceless avatars..give people an opportunity to attack other human beings and get away with it..as if many of these weak folks tried to do this in real life..oh yes they would be in danger of getting their ass wooped by people who look similar to me in real life.. with huge muscles.. extreme strength and ability for martial arts..but ya see dude..no one has ever personally attacked me face to face in real life..since i got well...

Human beings don't do that..if they want to survive..it's just a built in instinct in real life...And no.. i'm a lover not a fighter..i just look like a bad ass dude in real life..the type of dude..that even Chuck Norris wouldn't f**k with....and i'm dead serious on that..people view me as an elite special forces military dude..or a zen master..just for the way i am able to move..or float in 3 dimensional space..an extreme skill i have acquired...in real life...

But you'd have to meet me in person to get the full feel for that..not even photographs can relay that basic human instinct....to be wary of fearless
folks....that do things naturally that most could not imagine doing ..in real life..it's the f*****g scariest thing in the world ..for some folks to take in..in real life..that is....

And no i'm NOT trying to intimidate anyone by discussing this..It's just real life dude..

And f**k yeah..a type of philosophy..or way of life too..for a simple human animal..that is an expert at adversity and survival....Life does that to ya..and so does GOD..but that's another topic..for another day..simply to discuss..and banter off silly personal attacks..on this forum that is a virtual free for all for that type of thing....but i like it..it is a cognitive and emotional challenge.. to deal with adversity.. It's overall fun for me ..and simply delightful..but haha..i ain't your run of the mill dude..or herd feeder..either..:) have a great day..and oh..happy !2014! to ya..it don't ever HURT to be nice..just takes a little bit of f*****g effort..personal attacks are at the lowest level of communication..period..everywhere in life...

They just disgust me overall as simply unintelligent..that is all..the communication of personal attacks that is..not the ignorant folks that deliver them.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 11:03 am

If you have an opinion then you can chip in.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 11:10 am

babybird wrote:

^ This.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 12:13 pm

TallyMan wrote:
babybird wrote:

^ This.

OH GOD YES..!

IT'S ALL ABOUT OPINIONS..

THAT'S WHAT'S GREAT ABOUT THIS FORUM..

IT AIN'T NO STODGY PLACE..

LIKE SOME OF THEM...

REAL DEBATE FORUMS...:)

NO WAY I'M GONNA PARTICIPATE IN A REAL DEBATE FORUM..

AS I ACCOMMODATED THE RULES OF EVERYONE ELSE IN LIFE ENOUGH ALREADY...

I'M GONNA BE FREE..AND BE IN A PLACE THAT AT LEAST HALF WAY ALLOWS THAT...

PERSONAL..ATTACKS OR NO PERSONAL ATTACKS..THAT'S JUST SILLINESS..IS ALL..

NOTHING WORTH GETTING UPSET OVER...

in real life...or online.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 1:51 pm

Debating is so, so.... medieval.

ruveyn

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 1:54 pm

You are all wrong. It is not your fault, it is just because you are dumb.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 1:54 pm

I think we should bring back dueling,more civil than some of the debates here. :D

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:01 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I think we should bring back dueling,more civil than some of the debates here. :D

PPR = Image

L&D = Image

Random = Image

My job = Image

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:06 pm

^^That was hypnotising me then.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran